• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Should America get rid of the Electoral College

Sorry, but you're not making any sense...

If I understood you correctly, you wanted Congressmen & Senators to elect the President. Some would vote for the winner and some for someone else. Thus, the President's legitimacy would derive from a fraction of the House & Senate. Have I misunderstood something?

Good evening pg. The number of members in the Electoral College mimics State representation. It's the method of selection that is different with most States choosing a winner take all method as opposed to an apportioned method...

Ah, that makes sense. :thanks: As you know, I live in Ohio, and it's absurd that it always seems to all boil down to FL and Oh, as pointed out earlier...with all the attendant nail-biting frustration involved on election night! :argue:

If I understood you correctly, you wanted Congressmen & Senators to elect the President. Some would vote for the winner and some for someone else. Thus, the President's legitimacy would derive from a fraction of the House & Senate. Have I misunderstood something?

Who would be running in a Presidential election if the selection was made by Congress? It serves to take the now billions spent on one office out of the equation. BTW, what we have now more closely represents a true democratic process rather than what the Founders intended...

Ah, that makes sense. :thanks: As you know, I live in Ohio, and it's absurd that it always seems to all boil down to FL and Oh, as pointed out earlier...with all the attendant nail-biting frustration involved on election night! :argue:

Agreed, the selection of the President should not boil down to a State but a combination of Congressional districts as well as the States as a whole (eg Representatives and Senators)...

Who would be running in a Presidential election if the selection was made by Congress? It serves to take the now billions spent on one office out of the equation. BTW, what we have now more closely represents a true democratic process rather than what the Founders intended...

Actually, I don't mind the billions and I'd rather have the decision made outside Washington.:peace

Actually, I don't mind the billions and I'd rather have the decision made outside Washington.:peace

I wasn't aware that our Federal elections were held in DC... :confused:

I would prefer,instead of a popular vote to have states divide up electorals by % of victory. Win over a certain amount(say 60%)you win all the votes. Under that,it's divided up proportionally. It would incentivize campaigns candidates to campaign in many more states.

I would prefer,instead of a popular vote to have states divide up electorals by % of victory. Win over a certain amount(say 60%)you win all the votes. Under that,it's divided up proportionally. It would incentivize campaigns candidates to campaign in many more states.

By doing so, you effectively exclude the votes of those that were not in the 60% or greater block and simply revert to a pseudo democracy...

Perhaps. Did you not propose that Congressmen & Senators should elect the President?

Yes, and they more closely represent the States' choices than anything else we have...

I suppose that's where we part company. I don't agree with your assessment.:peace

That's your choice of course, but I never expected you to be one to favor larger States exerting power over those with less population simply due to their shear population...

I have no issue at all if we replace it with a system where our elected federal officials (Representatives and Senators) would make the decision as this would eliminate some areas of the country overwhelming the remainder be shear ideology...

So you would replace the electoral college with a partisan vote by members of Congress? Aside from giving Congress tremendous power over the other two branches (by effectively controlling two of the three) how could you possibly believe that could be representative of the will of the people?

How does allowing direct voting of the President let "some areas of the country overwhelm the remainder by shear ideology?" You don't think that by limiting it to Congress you wouldn't be allowing whichever party happened to control it to overwhelm the remainder of the country by shear ideology?

There is no way in hell I would ever consider allowing those whores in Congress, already bought and paid for by powerful special interests, to also control who filled the Executive Office. The President is the guiding figure of our nation, and the people should rightly have the power to directly elect him. The idea behind the Electoral College (whose member have one short-term purpose every four years they are selected) was to prevent a demagogue from taking power and setting himself up as King. That is no longer a possibility, with Constitutional term limits.

So give the people a direct vote, and let the man who gets the most votes be elected.

So you would replace the electoral college with a partisan vote by members of Congress? Aside from giving Congress tremendous power over the other two branches (by effectively controlling two of the three) how could you possibly believe that could be representative of the will of the people?

How does allowing direct voting of the President let "some areas of the country overwhelm the remainder by shear ideology?" You don't think that by limiting it to Congress you wouldn't be allowing whichever party happened to control it to overwhelm the remainder of the country by shear ideology?

There is no way in hell I would ever consider allowing those whores in Congress, already bought and paid for by powerful special interests, to also control who filled the Executive Office. The President is the guiding figure of our nation, and the people should rightly have the power to directly elect him. The idea behind the Electoral College (whose member have one short-term purpose every four years they are selected) was to prevent a demagogue from taking power and setting himself up as King. That is no longer a possibility, with Constitutional term limits.

So give the people a direct vote, and let the man who gets the most votes be elected.

I would consider it infinitely more representative of the nation's will over the state by state winner take all electoral college system as it exists today...

That's your choice of course, but I never expected you to be one to favor larger States exerting power over those with less population simply due to their shear population...

Hmm. The most important states last time were Ohio, Virginia, Florida and Colorado.:peace

I would consider it infinitely more representative of the nation's will over the state by state winner take all electoral college system as it exists today...

Not more representative than a direct vote of the people without need for "electors." Four men who should have been President were denied office because of this silly process.

Hmm. The most important states last time were Ohio, Virginia, Florida and Colorado.:peace

Why should the election of President boil down to a few States rather than allowing each represented district an equal voice?

Not more representative than a direct vote of the people without need for "electors." Four men who should have been President were denied office because of this silly process.

I abhor true democratic rule. My preference of for the most representative possible (smallest population sampling reasonably attainable)...

It's always going to boil down to something.:peace

It's much harder to sustain any type campaign in 435 districts than it is in a minority of swing States...

Out to watch a bit of football...

Back
Top Bottom