• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Should America be proactive in the world wide looming food shortage?

No, it does not. The Ukraine produces 9% of the world's wheat, and 14% of the world's corn, and is the eighth largest exporter of wheat. Pakistan produces and exports more wheat than the Ukraine, which is where "Northern Africa and a lot of Arab states" are getting the majority of their wheat. You are buying into the Fake News from the Democrat Propaganda Network.
As oppose to you buying the Faux News? And no, it was known before the war ever started that Ukraine was providing a lot of food to states that couldn't feed their nation. France, Canada, America, are the world's most important nations for food production.

I am hearing and seeing warnings about potential food shortages due to the war in Ukraine. The president even read something about it from his teleprompter. Google or Duck food shortages and you will see hundreds of articles talking about how the bad is going to get worse. This is a foreseeable crisis. What are we doing about it?
Now Google or duck duck food shortage bio fuels; food shortage ethanol. Crickets currently. A few food shortage articles from the late 2000s forecasting increased prices and shortages. Why is this?
What would Putin do tomorrow if Biden announced American farmers would begin transitioning away from bio fuels to wheat and food with massive public investment to "warp speed" this transition? We could totally negate ANY reliance on Russian wheat. Add a focus on American energy independence to become a net positive exporter of oil energy also at "warp speed" ? What leverage would Putin have?
Remove the regulations and subsidies propping up the production of ethanol and subsidize transition back to food. It is unconscionable that we are burning food...... common sense.
Ethanol has become the third rail amongst the political class. This crisis should be a wake up call. ( Even Trump is for Ethanol)
We should sell all of our oil to China so they can keep theirs in the ground for the future fight over resources that is certainly going to happen.

I love how y’all are so pro-china.

Biofuel is dumb.

For one thing, making one gallon of fuel from corn produces 50 gallons of high-alkaline water, and making 1 gallon of fuel requires the use a total of about 4000 gallons of water, all told.

It's not dumb for the corrupt politcians that get voted in by doing whatever their constituents want regardless of how dumb the concept is. Case in point: Some districts are building planes we don't even need but it produces paychecks for the workers and keeps the politicians in office.

We should sell all of our oil to China so they can keep theirs in the ground for the future fight over resources that is certainly going to happen.

I love how y’all are so pro-china
How is this pro China?

Guys ...no one went to work a year, to a year and a half ago. Production was severely reduced. You think food producers can wave a magic wand, and voila, more food grows?
Farmers never stopped working.

How is this pro China?
Long term strategy. Saving for the rainy day to come.

If the oil industry has its way we’ll be sold out when the inevitable happens and the Chinese will just drive past our out of gas equipment on the way to Washington.

Long term strategy. Saving for the rainy day to come.

If the oil industry has its way we’ll be sold out when the inevitable happens and the Chinese will just drive past our out of gas equipment on the way to Washington.
Isn't that the intent of the green new dealers. Destroy American energy allowing China to bypass environmental concerns and dominate.

BTW we will never be sold out. Shut out and shut down maybe.

Isn't that the intent of the green new dealers. Destroy American energy allowing China to bypass environmental concerns and dominate.

China has the classic middle class problem.

They like to breathe and have the spare time and money to squawk about it. They have plans to go all electric vehicles., for expample. A friend does business over there. The first time he went he had trouble breathing outside in the cities. It’s much better now.

So no.

Sure. Oil is an infinite resource.

Farmers never stopped working.
Yes they did. And processing plants. Entire herds of cattle were slaughtered in mass graves due to no way to process them.

That doesn't just "bounce back".

Buy toilet paper.

I am hearing and seeing warnings about potential food shortages due to the war in Ukraine. The president even read something about it from his teleprompter. Google or Duck food shortages and you will see hundreds of articles talking about how the bad is going to get worse. This is a foreseeable crisis. What are we doing about it?
Now Google or duck duck food shortage bio fuels; food shortage ethanol. Crickets currently. A few food shortage articles from the late 2000s forecasting increased prices and shortages. Why is this?
What would Putin do tomorrow if Biden announced American farmers would begin transitioning away from bio fuels to wheat and food with massive public investment to "warp speed" this transition? We could totally negate ANY reliance on Russian wheat. Add a focus on American energy independence to become a net positive exporter of oil energy also at "warp speed" ? What leverage would Putin have?
Remove the regulations and subsidies propping up the production of ethanol and subsidize transition back to food. It is unconscionable that we are burning food...... common sense.
Ethanol has become the third rail amongst the political class. This crisis should be a wake up call. ( Even Trump is for Ethanol)
Right, I work in shipping and want to point out a few things.

This is sort of missing what the upcoming food crisis is.

It is a crisis in the supply chain, because global supply chains as a whole are very reliant upon Wheat grown in Ukraine, and to a much lesser extent Russia plays a major role in international food.

This is important for several reasons.
1: we effectively had near total loss of the Ukrainian harvest this year, due to the war preventing the harvest.
2: in a hypothetical best case scenario, namely the war suddenly ending, would still leave Ukraine with much of its fields unplanted, a lot of productive land rendered temporarily unusable due to damage, a lot of farm equipment destroyed, it’s agricultural workforce eliminated as they have been conscripted, killed, or are displaced, and it’s infrastructure is destroyed.

This means that there is not going to be a Ukrainian harvest next year. It’s simply not going to happen at any meaningful scale.

Therefore food insecure nations are going to be desperate for grain stocks, as no one knows how long this disruption will last, or how serious it could become, and nobody wants to be left holding the blame in a food crisis. Therefore the price of wheat and other basic commodities will rise significantly due to desperation and a genuine shortage. For example, there will be hunger in Iraq next year at a minimum.

It will be poorer countries being willing to pay a premium for basic foodstuffs that cause these problems, rather than the US being unable to produce its own.

The price disruption is what will hurt the US economy. A lot of US foodstuffs will be exported elsewhere to make a profit, which may worsen the situation for the very poorest in the USA. Russian grain supply is much more important to the Middle East and Central Asia than the US. We expect US sanctions to interfere with the profitability of importing Russian grain into the USA, and Canadian foodstuffs will likely raise in price as the market will be willing to pay more than normal.

Stopping biofuels is not even remotely plausible to prevent foodstuff price increases. It takes time to grow crops, and often biofuels are grown on soil that would not grow wheat or corn at profitable yields. The US is genuinely incapable of preventing this problem.

However they could minimise it by preemptively creating federal stockpiles, but that’s unlikely as it could cause a panic, or by intervening in the market, reducing beef subsidies and increasing the viability of growing wheat over cattle feed, but again, this would be unpopular and would make beef unaffordable, which would have its own long term consequences.

TLDR: This is a global problem, and cannot be addressed without a global outlook. There isn’t the time to totally change agricultural production without massive government intervention. So it will not happen.

It does take time to switch from biofuels to food crops. That is why I pointed it out in March. (It is still not too late for 2023). Just like we should have been proactive with another known impending shortage.....baby formula. Like we should never have put the breaks on domestic oil production. All foreseeable and preventable "crisis".

It is obscene to burn food for fuel.

It does take time to switch from biofuels to food crops. That is why I pointed it out in March. (It is still not too late for 2023). Just like we should have been proactive with another known impending shortage.....baby formula. Like we should never have put the breaks on domestic oil production. All foreseeable and preventable "crisis".

Yep, but it’s said to be “green”.

I don't know about the rest of the country but the corn that is used in my area to produce biofuels is not used for human consumption. It's used to feed livestock.

I don't know about the rest of the country but the corn that is used in my area to produce biofuels is not used for human consumption. It's used to feed livestock.

OK, and what are livestock used for?

Food for livestock is food for people eventually. Pet food would be an exception, though pets are an important part of human existence.

Food for livestock is food for people eventually. Pet food would be an exception, though pets are an important part of human existence.
Well Duh! That wasn't my point. My point was it seemed assumed that it went right to human consumption.

No. You are wrong. Do some research on what is happening to food production in major multi year drought impacted areas in the west. Your problem is that you are so politically bigoted that you've lost your ability to recognise reality.
No...you made the claim that there are food shortages.
It is up to YOU to post data to back it up.

Either post links to unbiased, factual proof that America is actually experiencing a food shortage...or your point means NOTHING.

BTW - I despise both parties + Trump and Biden as POTUS's.

No...you made the claim that there are food shortages.
It is up to YOU to post data to back it up.

Either post links to unbiased, factual proof that America is actually experiencing a food shortage...or your point means NOTHING.

BTW - I despise both parties + Trump and Biden as POTUS's.
Did I really make that food shortage claim, or did I just note that production is down? You seem to be doing your best DT impression of alternative facts. You don't need 'food shortages' to see prices go up. Constrained production will raise prices long before you see actual shortages. Imports can also increase to add to supply, but they are often more expensive as well.

There have been so many articles, videos etc presented about the impact of a historic level (1000yr) drought on food production in the west that it is almost impossible to believe someone could not be aware of what is happening. Anyway, just go to Youtube and search "US drought". Lots of videos with pictures of the barren fields, interviews with farmers etc so it should be easy to catch up on what's happening. You will also get to see how close some areas are to almost total water depletion as unmanaged acquifers get drained faster than the fill, and major dams are so low that they will soon stop producing hydro power. Sounds like a few hours of simple research could give you a better perspective on what is happening.

I mean we could also apply arms and economics sanctions to Ukraine to force them to resolve what is clearly for them a losing war while releasing sanctions on Russia

Maybe they should let some of the people waiting at the border for jobs to come in to help with the harvests, as it has been done for over a century with no issues other than bigotry…
The majority of illegals, the vast majority, are not going to work in agriculture. They want to move to major blue cities where they already have family. These are not laborers going to wheat fields for the most part

Biofuel is dumb.

For one thing, making one gallon of fuel from corn produces 50 gallons of high-alkaline water, and making 1 gallon of fuel requires the use a total of about 4000 gallons of water, all told.
Biofuel is incredibly dumb. The only real, but limited candidate is biodiesel from used/recyclced feedstock. Growing corn to turn into ethanol is a hugely stupid subsidy to those farmers.

One proactive approach would be to take a hard look at any policies that effectively incentivize the production of meat (e.g., tax loopholes for hog farmers, sub-market rates to graze on public lands for beef ranchers, subsidized loans for meat-raising operations, and so on).

There were already a couple strikes against meat -- at least red meat. It's not terribly healthy, so it indirectly costs the taxpayer a lot in resulting medical costs, and it contributes badly to climate change, as well as run-off pollution and water shortages. In a food crisis, though, it would be even worse, since it generally takes a lot of arable land to support raising the feed for meat animals. You wind up having to feed a pig two and a half times its adult weight in feed, at least, in the course of raising it. Cows are worse, since they eat something like 1.8% of their body weight every single day, so in the course of a single year, they could eat six or seven times as much feed as they weigh. That means a whole lot less overall food available than if you'd just grown and eaten a vegetarian diet.

So, if you're nervous about a world-wide food shortage, we should probably stop pissing away so much food fattening up meat animals, and just go with a more efficient mostly-vegetarian approach.

One proactive approach would be to take a hard look at any policies that effectively incentivize the production of meat (e.g., tax loopholes for hog farmers, sub-market rates to graze on public lands for beef ranchers, subsidized loans for meat-raising operations, and so on).

There were already a couple strikes against meat -- at least red meat. It's not terribly healthy, so it indirectly costs the taxpayer a lot in resulting medical costs, and it contributes badly to climate change, as well as run-off pollution and water shortages. In a food crisis, though, it would be even worse, since it generally takes a lot of arable land to support raising the feed for meat animals. You wind up having to feed a pig two and a half times its adult weight in feed, at least, in the course of raising it. Cows are worse, since they eat something like 1.8% of their body weight every single day, so in the course of a single year, they could eat six or seven times as much feed as they weigh. That means a whole lot less overall food available than if you'd just grown and eaten a vegetarian diet.

So, if you're nervous about a world-wide food shortage, we should probably stop pissing away so much food fattening up meat animals, and just go with a more efficient mostly-vegetarian approach.

I eat vegetarians. I have a nice grass fed ribeye on the smoker currently.

Back
Top Bottom