• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Should America be proactive in the world wide looming food shortage?

i should go to heaven and ask WWII vets how much sacrifice we should endure before we snap.

like is eating frozen waffles instead of frozen pancakes a bridge too far for Americans.
So nothing to add. Just nonsense and dodging. Thanks

I am hearing and seeing warnings about potential food shortages due to the war in Ukraine. The president even read something about it from his teleprompter. Google or Duck food shortages and you will see hundreds of articles talking about how the bad is going to get worse. This is a foreseeable crisis. What are we doing about it?
Now Google or duck duck food shortage bio fuels; food shortage ethanol. Crickets currently. A few food shortage articles from the late 2000s forecasting increased prices and shortages. Why is this?
What would Putin do tomorrow if Biden announced American farmers would begin transitioning away from bio fuels to wheat and food with massive public investment to "warp speed" this transition? We could totally negate ANY reliance on Russian wheat. Add a focus on American energy independence to become a net positive exporter of oil energy also at "warp speed" ? What leverage would Putin have?
Remove the regulations and subsidies propping up the production of ethanol and subsidize transition back to food. It is unconscionable that we are burning food...... common sense.
Ethanol has become the third rail amongst the political class. This crisis should be a wake up call. ( Even Trump is for Ethanol)
Barring major natural influences like heavy rains delaying planting or ruining a crop ready to harvest we EXPORT somewhere around 50% of our wheat, 14% of our corn, 47& of our soybeans. 12% of our beef. 28% of our pork. So, where is a comfortable percentage of surplus foods already.

I'm sure Big Oil would like more of a monopoly on fuels. But a food shortage isn't the issue we face... ✌️

So nothing to add. Just nonsense and dodging. Thanks
i do realize that we're strong Americans. we can endure eating some stuff we normally don't eat. like wheat bread instead of white bread.

studs. we're all just studs.

Since when does the Ukraine feed the world?

It was not that long ago (1973) when the US was selling millions of tons of wheat and corn to the Ukraine in order to feed them. Then came Carter's grain embargo against the USSR in 1980 after they invaded Afghanistan, so the Ukraine wasn't feeding anyone outside of the USSR.
I believe I heard that Ukraine produces roughly 20% of all the grain worldwide. It is their main export. There is grain in just about everything you eat. From that bacon to those eggs to that dog and cat food, all your bakery goods, grain is used everywhere.

They have also said the Ukrainian farmers won't be planting the crops this year. 20% is a large portion of the world's food chain.

Biden said a month ago that the government is working with American farmers to increase production.

I believe I heard that Ukraine produces roughly 20% of all the grain worldwide. It is their main export. There is grain in just about everything you eat. From that bacon to those eggs to that dog and cat food, all your bakery goods, grain is used everywhere.

They have also said the Ukrainian farmers won't be planting the crops this year. 20% is a large portion of the world's food chain.

Biden said a month ago that the government is working with American farmers to increase production.
Half those figures and you will be in the ballpark. The Ukraine produces 9% of the world's wheat, and 14% of the world's corn. Both Russia and the Ukraine combined produce ~25% of the world's wheat. Canada, France, and Pakistan produce more wheat than the Ukraine. The Ukraine comes in eighth place as far as wheat production is concerned. While that may be a big deal to Ukrainians, it doesn't mean diddly-squat to anyone else.

You might see a loaf of bread increase in price by ~10%, but with Biden's massive inflation due to his illegal war against fossil fuels you won't be able to tell the difference. Presidents also do not determine the means of production in the US. You should have taken that civics course.

"Presidents also do not determine the means of production in the US. You should have taken that civics course."

^ This is why I posted this in government regulation board. Presidents, especially one with a majority in congress can influence production with public policy. Take away ethanol subsidies and provide huge incentives to transition back to food.

Farmers are forecasting potentially a 40% reduction in yields due to the lack of fertalizer.

What is Biden's plan? Empathy?

I am hearing and seeing warnings about potential food shortages due to the war in Ukraine. The president even read something about it from his teleprompter. Google or Duck food shortages and you will see hundreds of articles talking about how the bad is going to get worse. This is a foreseeable crisis. What are we doing about it?
Now Google or duck duck food shortage bio fuels; food shortage ethanol. Crickets currently. A few food shortage articles from the late 2000s forecasting increased prices and shortages. Why is this?
What would Putin do tomorrow if Biden announced American farmers would begin transitioning away from bio fuels to wheat and food with massive public investment to "warp speed" this transition? We could totally negate ANY reliance on Russian wheat. Add a focus on American energy independence to become a net positive exporter of oil energy also at "warp speed" ? What leverage would Putin have?
Remove the regulations and subsidies propping up the production of ethanol and subsidize transition back to food. It is unconscionable that we are burning food...... common sense.
Ethanol has become the third rail amongst the political class. This crisis should be a wake up call. ( Even Trump is for Ethanol)

wholeheartedly agree - we should also sell, v destroy, the excess food that they buy up as price supports.

Russia Threatens to Limit Vital Exports of Agriculture Products to ‘Friendly’ Countries Only https://link.theepochtimes.com/mkt_...untries-only_4380520.html?utm_source=andshare

Guys, it doesn't matter what Russia does. By causing a slight shortage, they will drive the worldwide price of wheat up, even in the US. Someone who posted that the poor countries is where it will impact the most was correct.

Guys, it doesn't matter what Russia does. By causing a slight shortage, they will drive the worldwide price of wheat up, even in the US. Someone who posted that the poor countries is where it will impact the most was correct.
It does matter what Joe Biden does or doesn't do. He has acknowledged a looming world wide crisis. What is he doing? He has said, I am working with farmers as in what? providing empathy? He feels our pain it is Trump's fault it is Putin's fault.

Maybe they should let some of the people waiting at the border for jobs to come in to help with the harvests, as it has been done for over a century with no issues other than bigotry…

Easy big boy. Corn is used because of the agricultural lobby in America, and guess what? It is one of the least efficient ways to make biofuel. Hemp and switchgrass don't need fertilizer tilling or much of anything really. Have farmers start using their fallow fields with these and biofuel is a whole different animal.
And Russia is the number one producer of fertilizer in the world.

Because of the war prices have gone up nearly 4 times as much as last year.

This will definitely effect food prices…

Maybe they should let some of the people waiting at the border for jobs to come in to help with the harvests, as it has been done for over a century with no issues other than bigotry…
Who's waiting? They aren't coming for jobs; it is illegal to hire. Those coming for defined periods to harvest come and go legally.

BTW grains are not harvested manually. Doubt combine operators carrying cheap fuel are lined up.

Who's waiting? They aren't coming for jobs; it is illegal to hire. Those coming for defined periods to harvest come and go legally.

BTW grains are not harvested manually. Doubt combine operators carrying cheap fuel are lined up.
You are clueless about farming aren’t you???

Specific to the thread title: Should America be proactive in the world wide looming food shortage?
Yes we should.
Will we? Probably not.

The 'we' in there is the federal government, and given this administration's performance for proactive actions to the obviously approaching, most definitely not.

It would take away far too much time from blame casting and virtue signaling, which ideologically can't be permitted.

Apparently you are
Been around/ working on farms my whole life.
It takes a lot more than one combine driver to harvest beans, wheat and corn…

Then we can talk apples, grapes, pumpkins, tomatoes, and just vegetables in general.

I have worked orchards and fields side by side with migrant workers, some legal some not.

The canning company I worked for would have never survived without the migrants…

Why do you think your grocery bill is exploding, Mycroft?
The way the free market works. A buyer buys food and then tries to sell it. He will sell it where he can make the most money. US market has a higher price for foods because they can afford to pay more. That said, if other markets continue with price increases, this will further increase in the US. I don't know how far will Americans be willing to pay for food, it has yet to be seen. We know in Egypt and other markets will NOT pay what Americans are paying right now. If those nations have to you can bet that there will be further unrest.

Since when does the Ukraine feed the world?

It was not that long ago (1973) when the US was selling millions of tons of wheat and corn to the Ukraine in order to feed them. Then came Carter's grain embargo against the USSR in 1980 after they invaded Afghanistan, so the Ukraine wasn't feeding anyone outside of the USSR.
Ukraine feeds Northern Africa and a lot of Arab states. Don't believe it is still 1980s because Russia fights with military equipment from that era.

Most large dairy farms in the Midwest rely on undocumented labor to survive…
You might be right? Biden probably isn't prosecuting businesses for hiring foreign national working here illegally. . IDK
I was referring to big ag growing for ethanol production or the food that could be growing instead.

Ukraine feeds Northern Africa and a lot of Arab states. Don't believe it is still 1980s because Russia fights with military equipment from that era.
No, it does not. The Ukraine produces 9% of the world's wheat, and 14% of the world's corn, and is the eighth largest exporter of wheat. Pakistan produces and exports more wheat than the Ukraine, which is where "Northern Africa and a lot of Arab states" are getting the majority of their wheat. You are buying into the Fake News from the Democrat Propaganda Network.

Wrong.

US food production is down because of inflation affecting the production - processing - distribution - retail system. That inflation is primarily driven by increasing energy prices.

It all rolls downhill.

You can thank the puppet in the WH for that.
Food prices spiked long before gas did.

Demand for food is constant. Supply is not. #CovidLife

Guys ...no one went to work a year, to a year and a half ago. Production was severely reduced. You think food producers can wave a magic wand, and voila, more food grows?

Back
Top Bottom