• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Should a pregnant wife inform her husband if she is having and abortion?

Should a pregnant wife inform her husband if she is having and abortion?

• Yes, he has a right to know its his child too

Votes: 24 80.0%
  • No, its her body not his

Votes: 6 20.0%

• Total voters
Should she inform him? In most cases, yes.
Should she be legally required to inform him? No.

Kandahar said:

Why should she not be legally required to inform him?

Keep Big Brother out of our lifes. Isn't that the republican mantra?
(at least what they campaign on) This is a decision where the individual family must suffer the consequences, right or wrong, of a decision like this.

Let's face it...any wife who would do something like this behind her husbands back has either had an affair, or doesn't want to bring another child into an abusive relationship....any way you look at it, it doesn't say much for the strength of that marriage, does it?

I don't believe a wife needs a husbands permission to do something that's legal in this nation, but it still doesn't say much for that marriage, does it?

Once the trust is gone, there's not much left.

Navy Pride said:
Why should she not be legally required to inform him?

Umm
Because it's a private family matter and none of the government's damn business.

When and why did conservatives decide that the government needed to babysit its citizens and decide what they should and should not do? I miss the days of small-government conservatism...

Kandahar said:
Umm
Because it's a private family matter and none of the government's damn business.

When and why did conservatives decide that the government needed to babysit its citizens and decide what they should and should not do? I miss the days of small-government conservatism...

I did not say anything about the government.....I just asked the question does the father in a marriage have th right to know if his wife is having and abortion.........

Kandahar said:

that's right.

Navy Pride said:
I did not say anything about the government.....I just asked the question does the father in a marriage have th right to know if his wife is having and abortion.........

Then you asked the follow-up question: Why shouldn't she be legally required to tell him, to which I gave the above answer. You most certainly DID mention the government, but only after my first response.

Kandahar said:
Then you asked the follow-up question: Why shouldn't she be legally required to tell him, to which I gave the above answer. You most certainly DID mention the government, but only after my first response.

OK my bad I did say that........So if your wife was having and abortion with your child you don't think you should have a legal right to be informed?

Navy Pride said:
OK my bad I did say that........So if your wife was having and abortion with your child you don't think you should have a legal right to be informed?

A legal right? No. Should she tell me anyway? Yes.

Kandahar said:
A legal right? No. Should she tell me anyway? Yes.

And your recourse is if she does not legally have to tell you?

Just bite the bullet and lose the child you helped to create?

This is a very difficult situation to decide, but I would have to agree with Judge Alito on this, where he dissented on the recent case brought before him. He decided that there was not an undue burden put on the woman to notify the spouse, and I would have to agree. She made the decision to get married, now certain responsibilities come with that agreement IMHO. I think a man deserves to know whom he has chosen to spend his life with, and this decision could change the relationship drastically. It is not a permission slip, it is simply a notification, and that is not a lot to ask.

Navy Pride said:
And your recourse is if she does not legally have to tell you?

Just bite the bullet and lose the child you helped to create?

Yes, biting the bullet is one option.
Or get a divorce.
Or get a marriage counselor.
Or ask her why she didn't tell me and talk about it.
Or any number of other things that don't involve putting her in jail.

Last edited:
Deegan said:
This is a very difficult situation to decide, but I would have to agree with Judge Alito on this, where he dissented on the recent case brought before him. He decided that there was not an undue burden put on the woman to notify the spouse, and I would have to agree. She made the decision to get married, now certain responsibilities come with that agreement IMHO. I think a man deserves to know whom he has chosen to spend his life with, and this decision could change the relationship drastically. It is not a permission slip, it is simply a notification, and that is not a lot to ask.

Don't you think that each person should decide for themselves and their family whether or not such a decision would "change the relationship drastically"? In most cases, you might be absolutely right, but why try to legislate your personal views on marriage/trust for EVERYONE? I certainly trust individuals more than the government to decide what's best for themselves.

Kandahar said:
I certainly trust individuals more than the government to decide what's best for themselves.

Not to take the thread off topic, but...
Does this 'trust' extend to people deciding whats best for themselves when investing their SocSec 'contributions'?

The wording of the answers is flawed. Just because the broad's knocked up doesn't automatically mean the husband is the sperm donor.

But basically, if she can't tell him, why is she married to him? If she dislikes him that much, her role isn't wife, it's "prostitute with kitchen priveleges".

I clicked "yes" by mistake, should've been a "no".

As a corollary, if a woman declines to get an abortion, the sperm-donor should be exempted from child-support payments. Remember that "er body, her choice" nonsense? Choices are supposed to have consequences.

M14 Shooter said:
Not to take the thread off topic, but...
Does this 'trust' extend to people deciding whats best for themselves when investing their SocSec 'contributions'?

Yes.......

Kandahar said:
Yes, biting the bullet is one option.
Or get a divorce.
Or get a marriage counselor.
Or ask her why she didn't tell me and talk about it.
Or any number of other things that don't involve putting her in jail.

All that is fine but the baby is still dead......Its a little late for that.........

but why try to legislate your personal views on marriage

To protect the father's stake in the situation.........

Kandahar said:
Don't you think that each person should decide for themselves and their family whether or not such a decision would "change the relationship drastically"? In most cases, you might be absolutely right, but why try to legislate your personal views on marriage/trust for EVERYONE? I certainly trust individuals more than the government to decide what's best for themselves.

I think the state should be able to decide, they obviously did in Penn. Still, how would you decide, if never informed, it really does seem an important decision to me, but I guess that's just me.

One question, just because she tells him, does that mean he can legally prevent her from having an abortion?

Morally, I believe a woman should tell her husband. I don't think it's the government's business to tell me what I have to share with my husband and what I don't have to share.

Where does it end? If the husband secretly wants to have a vasectomy, should he have to inform his wife? Morally yes, legally no.

I also voted yes, because I feel that she should.

However, I do not think she should be legally required to.

Gov shouldn't be involved in marriage at all, much less to this degree.

If you think you need a law to ensure that your wife tells you before aborting your child, then you need to rethink your marriage.

What about the wife who is separated from her husband and has been for years, who gets pregnant with her new boyfriend and decides to abort the child. Why should the husband be informed?

RightatNYU said:
I also voted yes, because I feel that she should.

However, I do not think she should be legally required to.

Gov shouldn't be involved in marriage at all, much less to this degree.

If you think you need a law to ensure that your wife tells you before aborting your child, then you need to rethink your marriage.

What about the wife who is separated from her husband and has been for years, who gets pregnant with her new boyfriend and decides to abort the child. Why should the husband be informed?

Wow. Is this the first time we have agreed with each other? :shock: I wholeheartedly agree, and you gave a very thoughtful, well-written answer.

aps said:
Wow. Is this the first time we have agreed with each other? :shock: I wholeheartedly agree, and you gave a very thoughtful, well-written answer.

It's definitely one of the first, if not the first. Good deal =):2wave:

Back
Top Bottom