• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Should a plagiarizer become first lady? [W:92]

Should a plagiarizer become first lady?

• No, the first lady needs to respect other's intellectual property

Votes: 7 38.9%
  • Yes, plagiarism isn't too big a deal

Votes: 11 61.1%

• Total voters
To repeat:

To repeat.

It was plagiarism in both cases. Nothing you said changed that it wasn't plagiarism. The claim of whether or not they were the "same" or not entirely depends on how one is measuring their "sameness". In some ways of measuring it, they were not the same. In other ways, they were.

We should remember that we have a plagiarist serving as Vice-President. Evidence came out when the Delaware Dunce was running for president in 1988 that he had lifted much of a paper he wrote at Syracuse Law School from a law review article he'd found. And he had to admit he had done it.

As far as I can see the only thing that was lifted word for word and that is apparently unique to Michelle Obama's speech is the phrase "your word is your bond". That doesn't need to be cut and paste.

There was significantly more than just "your word is your bond". Additionally, it's not the fact that some of these thoughts were in both. It was a combination of multiple phrases occurring in both, word for word, and that these particular phrases all were grouped together with a similar contextual flow and format as the both.

Had Melania talked about how she had values impressed upon her to work hard for what you want in life, and then talked about how she did that. And later on in talking about her husband and why he should lead, she spoke about how "your word is your bond", and then near the end started talking about wanting children to know their only limit is their dreams.....it still would had perhaps looked questionable, but it wouldn't be as clear cut of a case as this.

But you can literally take a couple of paragraphs, without editing, and put them directly side by side to see multiple words, phrases, and sentences that are near or exact matches. Having full paragraph sized thoughts and ideas coming out in exactly the same fashion as someone else is extremely less likely than a notion of two people who happen to, for instance, utter a common phrase like "your word is your bond" at two randomly different sections of a speech.

What the hell?

melania_zpsu8cewlxw.jpg

I'll concede the point. It's more extensive than I thought and looking at the speeches side by side make that clear.

I still maintain that it's largely irrelevant.

There was significantly more than just "your word is your bond". Additionally, it's not the fact that some of these thoughts were in both. It was a combination of multiple phrases occurring in both, word for word, and that these particular phrases all were grouped together with a similar contextual flow and format as the both.

Had Melania talked about how she had values impressed upon her to work hard for what you want in life, and then talked about how she did that. And later on in talking about her husband and why he should lead, she spoke about how "your word is your bond", and then near the end started talking about wanting children to know their only limit is their dreams.....it still would had perhaps looked questionable, but it wouldn't be as clear cut of a case as this.

But you can literally take a couple of paragraphs, without editing, and put them directly side by side to see multiple words, phrases, and sentences that are near or exact matches. Having full paragraph sized thoughts and ideas coming out in exactly the same fashion as someone else is extremely less likely than a notion of two people who happen to, for instance, utter a common phrase like "your word is your bond" at two randomly different sections of a speech.

I've seen that now. Thanks.

Did you really just link to a thread in that place that shall not be named?

originally that thread was upstairs, it got moved, my mistake :shrug:

An in-house writer and longtime friend of the Trump family has stepped forward with an apology for her involvement in the preparation of Melania Trump's speech to the Republican National Convention Monday night, which bore similarities to a Michelle Obama speech.

Melania Trump's Speechwriter Comes Forward to Apologize - ABC News

Now can we move on to important issues.

COMPARE....... a wife ..... to a serial plagiariser ... BIDEN who got caught in law school..... then got caught again when running for president and while being chairman of the judiciary... THEN he says MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING.... and even after he was caught by a COLLEGE and then several more running as pres....... so he says its NOTHING.... and then what happens.... Obama seeing him saying its NOTHING.. selects him as VP a heartbeat away from the presidency

This difference shows total hypocrisy by the democrats

I see the poll is increasing... NO BIG DEAL.. this is what happens when there is MORE TIME to think on an issue

Back
Top Bottom