• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Should a person have the right* to know if they're on the "no fly" list?

• Total voters

radcen

Phonetic Mnemonic ©
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist

In other words, should an individual be able to call or somehow submit a request to find out if they're on the list and have it answered honestly? (And in a timely manner, of course.)

The questions regards the list in general, not specifically or limited to the current debate relating to guns, etc.

*- Or, legal ability, if you want to quibble over the word "right".

try to board a plane
you'll find out

In other words, should an individual be able to call or somehow submit a request to find out if they're on the list and have it answered honestly? (And in a timely manner, of course.)

The questions regards the list in general, not specifically or limited to the current debate relating to guns, etc.

Of course.
and the right to challenge it.
and the right to sue if it's based on false information.

I think they should automatically be notified of the fact they are on that list and what evidence was used to put them on that list.Either by mail or by phone call or both.

Absolutely not, if a terror cell is able to see if we are on to them they will just vanish and we will lose a chance to get anymore info.

Absolutely not, if a terror cell is able to see if we are on to them they will just vanish and we will lose a chance to get anymore info.
If so, then if we want to be consistent, this mindset should apply to all potential future crimes, and we should repeal portions of the Constitution that address search, seizure, etc. "If you have nothing to hide...", right?

The no fly list? Yes. The terrorist watch list? Probably not.

If so, then if we want to be consistent, this mindset should apply to all potential future crimes, and we should repeal portions of the Constitution that address search, seizure, etc. "If you have nothing to hide...", right?

The "no fly" list has nothing to do with constitutional rights as there is no right to fly on a plane

The no fly list? Yes. The terrorist watch list? Probably not.

But if someone on is on the terrorist watch list they are also on the no fly list, so just 1 call and the terrorists would know if they were being watched.

The "no fly" list has nothing to do with constitutional rights as there is no right to fly on a plane
This is a roundabout way of not directly addressing the question, yet still admitting that your mindset is that the values of the Constitution are invalid.

Noted.

But if someone on is on the terrorist watch list they are also on the no fly list, so just 1 call and the terrorists would know if they were being watched.

Not true. The terrorist watch list has about 2 million people on it and the no fly list has about 100,000.

You have to actually be suspected to be on the no fly list. Or have the same name. The terrorist watch list also contains mere persons of interest.

Missing a plane flight can be a serious inconvenience, which is why I think we should know if our name matches a name on the list.

However, being on just the terrorist watch list really doesn't affect one's life. Yet.

Not true. The terrorist watch list has about 2 million people on it and the no fly list has about 100,000.

You have to actually be suspected to be on the no fly list. Or have the same name. The terrorist watch list also contains mere persons of interest.

Missing a plane flight can be a serious inconvenience, which is why I think we should know if our name matches a name on the list.

However, being on just the terrorist watch list really doesn't affect one's life. Yet.
It can cost an innocent person their job, or a new job, or a serious financial opportunity, if they get caught up in that web.

This is a roundabout way of not directly addressing the question, yet still admitting that your mindset is that the values of the Constitution are invalid.

Noted.

You don't understand the difference between a constitutional right and a privilege.

Noted.

You don't understand the difference between a constitutional right and a privilege.

Noted.
*smh* I always shake my head and chuckle when a person's "comeback" is the same thing the first person said. Shows a complete lack of creativity. (You're not the only one who does it, to be fair.)

Anyway, why are you so loathe to address what I was actually referring to... mindset? Not Constitutionality vs privilege. Mindset. This is twice that you have avoided the point. Are you really that insecure in what a truthful answer would be? Are you really that embarrassed by your inconsistency?

Absolutely. You need to know where you stand.

*smh* I always shake my head and chuckle when a person's "comeback" is the same thing the first person said. Shows a complete lack of creativity. (You're not the only one who does it, to be fair.)

I copy it to show you just how childish it sounds. If you have to add an insult to make your point you don't have one. It shows a lack of maturity.

Anyway, why are you so loathe to address what I was actually referring to... mindset? Not Constitutionality vs privilege. Mindset. This is twice that you have avoided the point. Are you really that insecure in what a truthful answer would be? Are you really that embarrassed by your inconsistency?

There is no inconsistency privileges and rights are different and should be treated differently. Just because I support denying a privilege does not mean that I support denying a right because a right by its very definition can not be denied. So there is no "mindset" problem, except for yours in which you can only see things in black and white.

Do you really claim to know the mindset of another person so well as to act on it, with zero evidence? Can you say Big Brother?

Well that's even more important not to tell them then, what good could come out of telling terrorists that we suspect them?

Unfortunately, the government tends to suck and in addition to "terror cells" they're also putting toddlers, Armed Services members, Senators, 80-year-old women, and hundreds of ordinary, hard-working businessmen on the list.

And in so doing they're infringing on innocent American citizen's freedom of movement, which is protected by the Constitution as much as the right to bear arms (and not as an amendment, as part of the original body).

If the government isn't allowed (and it should not be allowed) to arbitrarily and through shady extrajudicial means decide who can and cannot own a firearm they they have no business deciding who can or cannot freely move about the country, and then keep the fact that they've decided that you "made the list" a secret from you.

Well that's even more important not to tell them then, what good could come out of telling terrorists that we suspect them?

It is a definite downside. But I am saying the government shouldn't greatly inconvenience law abiding citizens in the name of security either. A little inconvenience might be justifiable, but as we have said before, missing a flight can be more than just a little inconvenience.

Back
Top Bottom