• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Should a law be passed that bars airlines from overbooking flights?

Should a law be passed that bars airlines from overbooking flights?

• Total voters
That would not be an accurate application of the word monopoly. There are dozens of airlines competing for our business. If you were to use the word collusion, we might close in thought.
What is the definition of collusion are you using?

I can't understand how anyone can look at it other than what should be a breech of contract. If someone agrees to sell you something at a specific time to get to a specific area, then that's what should happen. I know the bull**** that people will say based on what the airlines have fed us, "You are paying for a service not the seat itself, blah blah blah". The fact of the matter is, if any other business did what the airlines did they would be sued out of business. Imagine if you buy a ticket for a concert or sports game. Then imagine if the owner of the stadium decided that they weren't making enough money already, so instead of selling your ticket to just you, they would sell it to one or two other people because they don't believe you'll show up. As far as I'm concerned it should be considered fraud. Every ticket that I have bought to fly has had a no refund policy unless you pay extra money to change out dates. Therefore, there should be literally no reason that this practice should be in place in the first place. Its a scam. Plain and simple.

If you buy a ticket to a world series game for $ 5000, and are a no show....do they replay the game?

If you buy a ticket to a Nirvana concert, and get in a accident on the way....and show up midway through their third set, do you get a refund?

let us compare apples to apples please

In no other conveyance are no shows, and cancellations so rampant

That is why airlines overbook....

As long as they never have to refund another passenger, problem solved....

you okay with that?

If you buy a ticket to a world series game for $ 5000, and are a no show....do they replay the game?

If you buy a ticket to a Nirvana concert, and get in a accident on the way....and show up midway through their third set, do you get a refund?

let us compare apples to apples please

In no other conveyance are no shows, and cancellations so rampant

That is why airlines overbook....

As long as they never have to refund another passenger, problem solved....

you okay with that?
I pretty much agree with this.

As this thread has meandered my stance has changed a bit.

1) Airline tickets should be non-refundable. Like you say, if life happens, life happens.

2) If an airline wants to give a passenger a refund opportunity prior to, say, 5 days before the flight, that's fine, but it'd be purely voluntary of the airline. There would be no obligation or compulsion to do so.

3) If you buy a ticket, and you show up, the seat is yours. Period. Just like a ball game or a concert.

4) The airline can "overbook", but it'd be similar to the old "stand by" system. The overbooked passengers are the ones that may lose out.

There, solved. :)

I pretty much agree with this.

As this thread has meandered my stance has changed a bit.

1) Airline tickets should be non-refundable. Like you say, if life happens, life happens.

2) If an airline wants to give a passenger a refund opportunity prior to, say, 5 days before the flight, that's fine, but it'd be purely voluntary of the airline. There would be no obligation or compulsion to do so.

3) If you buy a ticket, and you show up, the seat is yours. Period. Just like a ball game or a concert.

4) The airline can "overbook", but it'd be similar to the old "stand by" system. The overbooked passengers are the ones that may lose out.

There, solved. :)

if tickets are non cancellable, and non refundable....then the airlines would never have to overbook

they sell every seat one time, collect their fare, and really dont care if you show or dont show

now...what would have to happen is a way to sell tickets (safely) to people who buy and no longer can use....a secondary market per se

it would have to be approved by TSA or some regulated government agency for airline safety concerns, and maybe they take 8-10% back as a fee for doing so

for those people that buy tickets, and then life changes, they would have a way to sell those tickets to someone else

i think it is a win/win for everyone....guaranteed seats for all....no more overbooking....and when crap happens, you can sell the tickets like you do concert or baseball tickets

Yes. Business which lies to it's customers is tantamount to fraud. This practice can have serious consequences to the paying customer which monetary compensation can not begin to rectify.

Back
Top Bottom