• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Shots fired at University of Texas

Jetboogieman

Somewhere in Babylon
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
A gunman is reported to have shot himself after opening fire with an automatic weapon at the University of Texas in the US city of Austin.

A man, reported to be a student at the university fired a number of rounds, without killing anyone, and subsequently shot himself, police said.

The authorities are investigating the possibility that a second suspect is on the loose.

The University of Texas is attended by at least 50,000 students.

No one else was hurt when the suspect opened fire inside the school's Perry-Castaneda Library, police spokeswoman Rhonda Weldon said.

Authorities are now investigating what prompted the gunfire.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-11430250

Well I hope there was no second suspect. Glad no one was hurt. Man, I hope I never have to deal with anything like this. *touch wood*

Thank god he failed at life and only shot himself. It could have ended really badly otherwise.

Maybe he realized that he was in Texas at the last minute. So there was the strong possibility that several or more students would have shot him to pieces,so he took the less painful route for death.

Last edited:
Why yes, I am also glad he pissed himself at the ideological and common sense real world strength of the second amendment. Hail to the 2ndAmen!

I noticed that, too. Somehow I doubt this guy had an automatic weapon.

I read elsewhere an "ak-47" which means most likley any variant of a semi auto kalishnakov style rifle...

Hard to shoot oneself with one of those lol, wouldn't be suprised to learn he had a handgun on him as well.

Why yes, I am also glad he pissed himself at the ideological and common sense real world strength of the second amendment. Hail to the 2ndAmen!

More like, "hail to the gun free zones of America!". They do a helluvalot to stop this sorta thing, eh?

I noticed that, too. Somehow I doubt this guy had an automatic weapon.
The people writing the story likely dont know any better.
Reporters should have to pass a test in order to get a license to report the news.

Last edited:
The people writing the story likely dont know any better.
Reporters should have to pass a test in order to get a license to report the news.
I would have hoped that they would have been able to interview a few kids who did know better, though. I guess it's just yet another example of lazy reporting. :shrug:

I would have hoped that they would have been able to interview a few kids who did know better, though. I guess it's just yet another example of lazy reporting. :shrug:
Lazy... or biased. Why bother making the distinction between auto/semi-auto when 'automatic' sounds that much scarier?

I agree, but that would probably cause Fox News to lose 90% of it's reporting staff :2razz:
That would leave them as the only network with any reporters...
:lol:

Last edited:
Lazy... or biased. Why bother making the distinction between auto/semi-auto when 'automatic' sounds that much scarier?
I try to give them the benefit of the doubt, even though they really don't deserve it when it comes to firearms.

I read elsewhere an "ak-47" which means most likley any variant of a semi auto kalishnakov style rifle...
The ABC story mentions an AK-47 (apparently "confirmed" by police) and that students heard "bursts of gunfire" - so (alhtough unlikely), still a possibility that the weapon was automatic.

Last edited:
The ABC story mentions an AK-47 (apparently "confirmed" by police) and that students heard "bursts of gunfire" - so (alhtough unlikely), still a possibility that the weapon was automatic.

I can make a semi auto sound like a burst. :shrug:

No and in the hand of an amatuer I'd be shocked to learn he managed to not fire more than "12 rounds" at full auto.
I can't figure that out either. That would only be about three short bursts or so. Who would go to the trouble of obtaining an automatic weapon and only fire off three bursts?

I can't figure that out either. That would only be about three short bursts or so. Who would go to the trouble of obtaining an automatic weapon and only fire off three bursts?

On an ak-47? two very short bursts..... near impossible.

its a 600 round per minute platform, which is 10 rounds per second....

"bursts" of gun fire, means multiple, meaning, there is no way he only got 12 off... Plus the guy shot himself. I doub't he changed ROF for the suicide.

Last edited:
More like, "hail to the gun free zones of America!". They do a helluvalot to stop this sorta thing, eh?

It's surprising and pleasant that nobody came in here and made it political by arguing about how this was caused by guns, so why not return the favor and not make it political the other way?

Back
Top Bottom