• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Shootings reported at Florida nightclub

I find it curious that when a story is about black kids that the usual suspects come in and start blaming black parents. Kind of like the kid that got away at the zoo into the gorilla cage. Blame the parents.

Rob

i wouldnt ****ing care if it was white, black, brown, or yellow kids attending that party. I would be just as hard on the parents of ANY COLOR

And for you to bring up race tells me a thing about you....look in the mirror dude

How does a "parent" say "OK" to their 12 year old being out at 1AM? Maybe if the bars close at 2AM they planned on picking their kids up after if the kids would agree to stand on the street for an hour after their party ended and drive home with drink mommy and daddy.

And how did you arrive at the parents must be drunk?

Rob

i wouldnt ****ing care if it was white, black, brown, or yellow kids attending that party. I would be just as hard on the parents of ANY COLOR

And for you to bring up race tells me a thing about you....look in the mirror dude

You actually think I brought up race in this thread? Give me a break.

I just heard one of the victims is 12 years old. What the hell was a 12 year old doing at a club at 12:30 in the morning. I know it was a teen night at the club, but some of these parents should be prosecuted for child abuse.

I went out with my parents past midnight dancing when I was still in single digit ages. As long as there was someone older accompanying the preteen, I don't see the issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The news just said it is gang related and three are in custody. All shooters and victims are African American that explains why children were out at 1AM.
Now all African Americans are bad parents- WOW.

Rob

Did you not see post 8?

How does a "parent" say "OK" to their 12 year old being out at 1AM? Maybe if the bars close at 2AM they planned on picking their kids up after if the kids would agree to stand on the street for an hour after their party ended and drive home with drink mommy and daddy.

Or parents wanted to allow their kids to have some fun? Why do mommy and daddy have to be out drinking? Maybe they caught a movie, had a date night? Or just relaxed at home.

Did you not see post 8?

actually no i didnt

that post is blank....

but i should have caught it under the next poster where it was quoted....and i missed it

i miss snippets from time to time because i have so many on my list

sorry

The news just said it is gang related and three are in custody. All shooters and victims are African American that explains why children were out at 1AM.

Yeah I bet they were chowing on watermelon and fried chicken too.

Horrible incident. Thoughts to the victims and their families.

You should have a good kick in the happy sacks!!

Kids are supposed to have the occaisional party!

12 year olds have no business in a bar at 12:00 am..... period.

12 year old kids should be in bed long before that.

Last edited:
I went out with my parents past midnight dancing when I was still in single digit ages. As long as there was someone older accompanying the preteen, I don't see the issue.

I don't have a problem with parents TAKING their children out and staying late, but that was obviously not the case here. I also don't have a problem with parents dropping off their kids at an event like this... after making sure no older kids would be there and that it closed at a decent hour.

Club Blu is a local Fort Meyer night club/ Grill which had a non alcohol teen event that night.

Club Blu co-owner Cheryl Filardi said at least eight armed security guards were at the bar.

“We did everything we could to make sure these kids were safe,” Filardi said. “There was nothing we could do … a car rolled up and just started shooting.”

One of the security guards was shot, she said. So was Terrance Moore, 19 and a former running back at Fort Myers High.

Fort Myers city councilwoman Terolyn Watson returned to the crime scene in the afternoon to try and get a sense of what happened. She advised the city’s parents to have some candid, age-appropriate discussions with their children about the shootings and to learn from them. She also said she did not want to get into the blame game.

“It was a teen night,” Watson said. “That’s one of the things we as parents need. We can’t always put the blame here. We’ve got to come together as a community. I’m not going to fault this parent, that parent. I’m not going to fault certain individuals.”

City councilman Forrest Banks and Congressman Curt Clawson accompanied Watson.

Read more:

Teen tragedy: Fort Myers club shooting leaves a city in pain

Last edited:
Not sure of your upbringing, but I was never out at night past 10 pm when I was 12 years old, and neither were my kids.

Each parent needs to be aware of where are children our are.

This event was for 12-17 year olds.

There was security. Teens over 17 were not at the event.

The shooting took place in the parking lot after the event.

The 19 year old who was shot was in the parking lot...not at the event.

Rob

You must not have read Post #8.

Each parent needs to be aware of where are children our are.

This event was for 12-17 year olds.

There was security. Teens over 17 were not at the event.

The shooting took place in the parking lot after the event.

The 19 year old who was shot was in the parking lot...not at the event.

My young teenage kids never practiced going to the club.

My young teenage kids never practiced going to the club.

Mine went to local a teen club a few times.
I researched it and made sure security was there, I drove them to and from the club and they knew I just a phone call away if they felt uncomfortable about anything or anyone when they were there.

My youngest is now in her early thirtys and a married mother of 2 children under 4.

And you obviously never had kids. If you did, you are one of the reasons kids act the way they do these days.

Because someone might let their kid have some supervised fun on a Saturday night, that makes them a bad parent? I'd say those parents that simply let their kids out with no curfew, don't know, don't care where they are are bad parents.

A bar that wasn't serving any alcohol. And a before midnight bedtime for a 12 year old on a summer weekend night? That's ridiculous. Especially if you know where they are.

I don't have a problem with parents TAKING their children out and staying late, but that was obviously not the case here. I also don't have a problem with parents dropping off their kids at an event like this... after making sure no older kids would be there and that it closed at a decent hour.

Your subjective idea of a decent hour is part of the issue. Plus just because there were older kids doesn't mean anything. Heck we don't even know if any of the older victims had been inside since they were all leaving when the shooting happened.

Back
Top Bottom