• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

'Shooting' War vs. Economic War.

Torus34

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
At present, the United States of America is not directly involved in a shooting war with Russia. [Ed.: That may change if the 'No-fly Zone' proponents hold sway.] A shooting war, particularly one of some magnitude as opposed to, say, the US incursion into Grenada, involves real sacrifice. Young men die. Some goods become scarce or are actually rationed. Salaries are frozen. Industries shift from civilian to military production. 'For the duration' becomes a phrase appended to any number of discomforts.

What the US is engaged in is an economic war with Russia. The idea that this form of war may, and will, involve sacrifice seems not yet to have reached many American citizens. We can expect losses in certain stocks, inflation, scarcity of some goods and, perhaps, some degree of employment turmoil.

To expect to carry on with business as usual smacks of magical thinking.

To expect Russia to quickly fold because its economy is severely disrupted is also a fanciful wish at this time. I place in evidence the present situation with the People's Republic of North Korea. Dictatorships have at times remarkable staying power.

Regards, stay safe 'n well 'n remember the Big 5.

At present, the United States of America is not directly involved in a shooting war with Russia. [Ed.: That may change if the 'No-fly Zone' proponents hold sway.] A shooting war, particularly one of some magnitude as opposed to, say, the US incursion into Grenada, involves real sacrifice. Young men die. Some goods become scarce or are actually rationed. Salaries are frozen. Industries shift from civilian to military production. 'For the duration' becomes a phrase appended to any number of discomforts.

What the US is engaged in is an economic war with Russia. The idea that this form of war may, and will, involve sacrifice seems not yet to have reached many American citizens. We can expect losses in certain stocks, inflation, scarcity of some goods and, perhaps, some degree of employment turmoil.

To expect Russia to quickly fold because its economy is severely disrupted is also a fanciful wish at this time. I place in evidence the present situation with the People's Republic of North Korea. Dictatorships have at times remarkable staying power.

I prefer economic warfare to military warfare...and so does Trump.

The problem we have right now is that the Biden pukes are using this Russia/Ukraine situation to conduct economic warfare against the US.

I prefer economic warfare to military warfare...and so does Trump.

The problem we have right now is that the Biden pukes are using this Russia/Ukraine situation to conduct economic warfare against the US.
What in the **** are you talking about.

Trump prefers performing analingus on Putin to standing up for democracy, so I'm not sure his opinion matters.

What in the **** are you talking about.
I'm talking about the Biden pukes creating high energy prices and the resulting inflation for the sole purpose of making alternative energy more cost effective.

The American people don't deserve to be attacked like this just to advance a political agenda.

As I noted in another thread, there are differences between the situation in Russia, and countries like China and North Korea - or the Soviet Union. Putin is an individual-driven government. When Khrushchev 'screwed up', the Politburo removed him from power. Now the 'politburo' is a rubber stamp for Putin. If China's leader were removed, he'd be easily replaced. But replacing Putin would be able to relieve that economic pressure.

The economic war is starting to take shape. Some major corporations are shutting down operations within Russia and/or limiting Russian access to them in other ways. One way to gauge the effectiveness of the various actions and sanctions will be the value of the Russian ruble on world currency markets. As it drops, it becomes increasingly expensive for Russians to purchase goods and services originating outside Russia.

Again, it's reasonable for us here in the US to expect the 'war' to last quite a while and for there to be some personal discomfort. It's the price we must be willing to pay to try to effect change.

Regards, stay safe 'n well.

NK is not a great example for Russia. That said it is clear that there will be some economic pain for Americans. I just don't see Americans living in some fantasy that there won't be some pain here.

It all depends on how much China is willing to extend itself to Russia. There are plenty of food and electronics that can be filtered through China from Asia.

Besides, Putin could care less how much his own people suffer.

NK is not a great example for Russia. That said it is clear that there will be some economic pain for Americans. I just don't see Americans living in some fantasy that there won't be some pain here.

Hi, jnug!

The People's Republic of North Korea reference was to illustrate the staying power of a dictator in the face of real hardship experienced by his citizens. The Russian people, during the German onslaught in WWII was the image intended to be evoked. Russians, under 'Communism', were also long-suffering. They coped, one way or 'nother. Hopes of them rising up and displacing President Vladimir Putin over the invasion of Ukraine may well be in vain.

Regards, stay safe 'n well.

It all depends on how much China is willing to extend itself to Russia. There are plenty of food and electronics that can be filtered through China from Asia.

Hi, RetiredUSN!

I humbly submit that there are more things to consider beside China here. It should be noted that, along with China, India also abstained from the UN censure vote, as did another 45 or so nations. That represents a very large percent of the world's population -- and markets.

While there seems to be a focus on oil and gas as Russian exports, there's also grain, notably wheat. China can handle large amounts of wheat purchases from Russia.

Last edited:

I don't think China has much interest in Putin's criminal ambitions. China is way way way ahead of Russia and has no interest in falling backwards. They will likely take up the slack in oil exports from Russia and that is about it. However they will demand a cut rate price from Russia, even more cut rate than Russia's cut rate price to Europe.

Sure. But is is not clear that The GOP will not use that pain to try to score cheap political points- putting party before country. It is becoming the GOP’s MO.

Yeah, but when the oligarch around him suffer, they will express their displeasure- and I’m pretty sure he cares a little about that.

Man, Henry Ford was right when he said human history is all just “one dam-ed thing after another”- if it’s not the Cold War and the Iranian hostage crisis it’s Al Qaeda and ISIS; if it’s not Covid it’s Putin. We were just getting over the dam- Omicron wave and about to take a breath of relief for cryin’ out loud.

What about the economic power game that every government has with the majority of its citizens because a tiny minority of rich citizens has more ties to the government.

The Economic Wargame is a continuation of the Military Wargame by other means.

Back
Top Bottom