• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Shooting The .577 T-Rex

Monster power 😆

That certainly is a hard recoil rifle. Perhaps those people would have done better with a little training. Instead of standing straight upright or, as some of them did, leaning back, they would have done better doing it in the tactical standing position.

Tactical Standing Position​

The tactical standing position is the most modern, and the one you see the most if you follow tactical trainers. It’s also the one depicted in TC 3-22.9:

TC 3-22.9 depiction of the standing position, unsupported

TC 3-22.9 depiction of the unsupported standing position
This is a pretty standard position for modern rifle combat. The forward lean helps with the recoil and follow-up shots.​

Me? I'd do it prone.

1664566919586.png

That certainly is a hard recoil rifle. Perhaps those people would have done better with a little training. Instead of standing straight upright or, as some of them did, leaning back, they would have done better doing it in the tactical standing position.

Tactical Standing Position​

The tactical standing position is the most modern, and the one you see the most if you follow tactical trainers. It’s also the one depicted in TC 3-22.9:​
TC 3-22.9 depiction of the standing position, unsupported
TC 3-22.9 depiction of the unsupported standing position​
This is a pretty standard position for modern rifle combat. The forward lean helps with the recoil and follow-up shots.​

Me? I'd do it prone.

View attachment 67415750
I have fired many firearms over the years, but nothing prepares you for the recoil of a large caliber rifle. The "tactical standing position" you have depicted is a good one, and brings back memories of my training with the Marine Corps. You will note that it recommends that the shooter "aggressively lean forward towards the target." That is using the M-16, which has just a slightly bigger felt-recoil than a .22 rim-fire, but considerably less recoil than a .3006.

From my own personal experience, I would recommend the shooter also pull the firearm into their shoulder if they are shooting a rifle larger than .4XX caliber. If there is any gap at all between the shooter's shoulder and the butt of the rifle, then the recoil is really going to hurt and the shooter may loose control of the firearm.

Interestingly, this particular .577 caliber round has less energy than the .50 caliber BMG. The .577 uses a 750 grain bullet fired at 2,460 FPS, giving it 10,080 foot-pounds (13,666 Joules) of energy. Where the .50 BMG also uses a 750 grain bullet, but is fired at a velocity of 2,820 FPS, giving it 13,246 foot-pounds (17,959 Joules) of energy.

The video is also good advertising for the AR platform. With a recoil spring in the butt-stock of the weapon the recoil of the firearm is lessened. Any reduction in felt-recoil with that size caliber firearm would be welcome.

Back
Top Bottom