• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Shockingly, Fox News gets it right on the economy

128shot

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Breitbart.tv Unions Pushing for $850B in Stimulus Before Obama Takes Office

There is the video, and here's the story from WSJ

Dow Jones Reprints: This copy is for your personal, non-commercial use only. To order presentation-ready copies for distribution to your colleagues, clients or customers, use the Order Reprints tool at the bottom of any article or visit Dow Jones Reprints - Reprint and Permission Service for the Wall Street Journal, Barron's, Newswires, and MarketWatch
See a sample reprint in PDF format. Order a reprint of this article now
* Need a Real Sponsor here

* DECEMBER 18, 2008, 11:05 P.M. ET

Stimulus Package Heads Toward $850 Billion

* Article
* Comments

more in Politics »
By JONATHAN WEISMAN

President-elect Barack Obama's economic team is crafting a stimulus package to send to Congress worth between $675 billion and $775 billion over two years, according to officials familiar with the package, and it expects a final price tag to be even larger.

The transition team has conveyed the figures to Capitol Hill, where the package is likely to grow as it works its way through the House and Senate. An Obama adviser familiar with the planning said the package could top out around $850 billion. Democratic leadership aides said it could easily exceed that before the package gets back to Mr. Obama's desk in final form.

"The biggest fear is that people will do too little," said one Democratic leadership aide, "like a start-up that fails because it didn't do enough."

Obama aides hope to keep the package below the trillion-dollar mark, a psychological threshold that could carry political consequences, as they fear being accused of adding too much to the country's long-term budget deficit.

Obama advisers and Democratic aides in Congress are accelerating their work on the economic-recovery package this week, ahead of Mr. Obama's two-week holiday in Hawaii and the break between the disbanding of the 110th Congress and the forming of the 111th.

Both congressional aides and the Obama team want a package ready when Congress returns Jan. 6, so legislation can reach the House and Senate floors before Mr. Obama's inauguration Jan. 20.

Even before the details are known, a coalition of liberal groups and labor unions on Thursday announced a campaign to get the package passed before Inauguration Day, arguing that the new president shouldn't have to expend political capital to rescue the economy left behind by his predecessor.

The coalition includes unions such as the Service Employees International Union and the AFL-CIO, the Sierra Club and umbrella group Americans United for Change, which helped sink President George W. Bush's effort to add individual investment accounts to Social Security.

The broad parameters of the package are known already. It will include a tax cut designed to pump $50 billion to $100 billion into the economy almost immediately; about $100 billion in aid to state governments, primarily to temporarily assume more of the cost of Medicaid, in hopes of staving off benefit cuts or tax increases; and funding in five main areas: traditional infrastructure, school construction, energy efficiency, broadband access and health-information technology

Stimulus Package Heads Toward $850 Billion - WSJ.com

Nothing like wasted taxpayer money!!!

How can you pump money in when you don't have any money?

It's just an open-end credit card. Nothing more. Then they'll tax the piss out of us later.

I'm already planning to lay off 40 percent of my staff to make way for these taxes I'll be taking on sooner or later. Better start saving now.

How can you pump money in when you don't have any money?

It's just an open-end credit card. Nothing more. Then they'll tax the piss out of us later.

I'm already planning to lay off 40 percent of my staff to make way for these taxes I'll be taking on sooner or later. Better start saving now.

Do you know what? When this nation was founded, the fathers of the country had in their vision for the people to have the right to coin their own currency. After the civil war, the Federals made an unconstitutional move when the dollars made in banks of California, New York, etc were stop to produce their own currency and took power over the manufacturing of the currency in the country.

So, if no dollars with existing gold value backing them up are available anymore, I will start to coin my own money: the CONQUER.:doh

Do you know what? When this nation was founded, the fathers of the country had in their vision for the people to have the right to coin their own currency. After the civil war, the Federals made an unconstitutional move when the dollars made in banks of California, New York, etc were stop to produce their own currency and took power over the manufacturing of the currency in the country.

So, if no dollars with existing gold value backing them up are available anymore, I will start to coin my own money: the CONQUER.:doh

So you'd have preferred us to have a different currency for each state? For each county?

Back
Top Bottom