• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Shocking facts about the trad publishing industry

PoS

Minister of Love
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
Here's something I came across: it concerns about this big merger between 2 of the big 5 publishing firms. The US government and some notable authors (like Stephen King) are fighting the merger, saying that it will kill a lot of author advances and monopolize the industry (even though it already has, until the indie market exploded).

Now comes the whopper. Dean Wesley Smith (another bestselling trad pub author) posted some excerpts from the trial and it seems pretty shocking.

“During the trial, a couple of depressing statistics were shared: of the 58,000 trade titles published per year, fully half of those titles “sell fewer than one dozen books.” (Not a typo, that’s one dozen.) More broadly, 90 percent of titles sell fewer than 2,000 units. Even a small advance of a few thousand dollars would not earn out at standard royalty rates.”

This is quite simply incredible. Ive always known that advances, especially for middling, no-name authors were pitifully small, but I had no idea that their print sales were even worse.

As an indie author, I dont sell a whole lot of print books, 90% of my income comes from ebook and audio sales, and I sell a lot more than 2K units of these per year with my entire catalog. Also, being an indie, I get to keep most of my income from sales (between 35-75%), as opposed to trad published authors, who get around 8%, after their advances get paid off- but with this revelation, its obvious their sales dont even come close to whatever advances they receive, no matter how small.

If I was to make a prediction, it's that the trad publishing market will continue to dry up, and almost all new authors will go indie instead, leaving only the established big names as being under contract by the trad publishers. The market is changing, and those that want to survive will have to develop new skills.

I had to look up “trad.” I thought the “e” was left off, but it must be an insider abbreviation for “traditional.” I am only a consumer of the written word……….

I had to look up “trad.” I thought the “e” was left off, but it must be an insider abbreviation for “traditional.” I am only a consumer of the written word……….
Oops, I assumed everybody knew writers speak. Mea culpa. Being a reader, I guess it wont mater too much to you if you buy books from writers you know, but if you want to discover new authors, you might have to look in different places instead of the usual brick and mortar bookstores in the future- assuming my prediction comes true, of course.

I have a friend that makes a living as a writer (it helps that he's single and splitting the rent on an apartment), and he's gone the indie route as well. When he lost his job at the end of 2010 when the economy went south he decided to see if he could make it as a writer, but none of the publishing houses were biting (not much demand there at the time for superhero fiction that wasn't Marvel or DC, mostly Marvel). Then another of his friends convinced him to publish electronically on Amazon, and he hasn't looked back. But in a way he got lucky, he got into a niche market on the ground floor.

Reactions: PoS
I have a friend that makes a living as a writer (it helps that he's single and splitting the rent on an apartment), and he's gone the indie route as well. When he lost his job at the end of 2010 when the economy went south he decided to see if he could make it as a writer, but none of the publishing houses were biting (not much demand there at the time for superhero fiction that wasn't Marvel or DC, mostly Marvel). Then another of his friends convinced him to publish electronically on Amazon, and he hasn't looked back. But in a way he got lucky, he got into a niche market on the ground floor.
Awesome. Indie publishing is huge and growing because they cater to niches that the traditional publishers arent into. You can make good money and do it full-time if you develop a dedicated fanbase.

Back
Top Bottom