• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Shocking: Black Teen Unemployment Rate 41.6%

Wehrwolfen

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
by Mike Flynn
2 Aug 2013

Friday's jobs report was disappointing, but it also contained a truly heartbreaking statistic. Black teen unemployment is a shocking 41.6%. In July last year, the unemployment was considerably lower, at 36%. That almost half of black teens who want to work can't find jobs is a stain on Obama's economic policies.

This isn't a numbers trick. This isn't a rate based on the whole black teen population in the country. This is the proportion on the black teen population that is looking for work but can't find a job. Just in March, the number was 8-points lower at 33%. The white teen unemployment rate is half the black rate, although a still high 20%.

[Excerpt]

Read more:

Fear not folks, the economy is getting better. Progressive Education is creating a society of ignorant, illiterate, poverty stricken Americans.

Fear not folks, the economy is getting better. Progressive Education is creating a society of ignorant, illiterate, poverty stricken Americans.

Most of them are right-wingers spouting off on online political forums.

:)

Conservatives shedding crocodile tears over minority youth unemployment.

If it wasn't so pitiful, it would be funny.

And surely you do all you can progressively do to get those part time jobs for them. Oh wait you want to pay part-timers $15.00/hr. Teenagers need not apply.

And surely you do all you can progressively do to get those part time jobs for them. Oh wait you want to pay part-timers $15.00/hr. Teenagers need not apply.

Hey, you incorporated one discredited rightwing meme into another. All in four posts. I'd say that's an accomplishment.

It is funny. And it's not pitiful, it's exactly the kind of ignorant bull**** that we've been hearing since a Black man moved into the White House. The far right losers would do anything if it would get Barack Obama out office. But they're wasting their time because Obama will be in the White House until another Democrat takes his place in 2017.

"Better day's are coming." ~ But not for today's out of touch, running out of time, GOP.

by Mike Flynn
2 Aug 2013

Friday's jobs report was disappointing, but it also contained a truly heartbreaking statistic. Black teen unemployment is a shocking 41.6%. In July last year, the unemployment was considerably lower, at 36%. That almost half of black teens who want to work can't find jobs is a stain on Obama's economic policies.

This isn't a numbers trick. This isn't a rate based on the whole black teen population in the country. This is the proportion on the black teen population that is looking for work but can't find a job. Just in March, the number was 8-points lower at 33%. The white teen unemployment rate is half the black rate, although a still high 20%.

[Excerpt]

Read more:

I'm thinking African-American teen unemployment is always atrocious. Where would they work? They don't have many choices in the inner-city. I also question the statistic itself. How is that information gathered? Do you really think the government is sending out questionnaires to teens and that they're responding honestly? I don't.

I'm thinking African-American teen unemployment is always atrocious. Where would they work? They don't have many choices in the inner-city. I also question the statistic itself. How is that information gathered? Do you really think the government is sending out questionnaires to teens and that they're responding honestly? I don't.

There is a margin of error on all unemployment numbers and it is fairly large if I remember right. That is part of why trends are more important than raw numbers and why the numbers are revised multiple times. The chart the data is from is here: Table A-2. Employment status of the civilian population by race, sex, and age

I can't find a margin of error and on tablet right now(babysitting) so can't really dig into numbers.

It is funny. And it's not pitiful, it's exactly the kind of ignorant bull**** that we've been hearing since a Black man moved into the White House. The far right losers would do anything if it would get Barack Obama out office. But they're wasting their time because Obama will be in the White House until another Democrat takes his place in 2017.

"Better day's are coming." ~ But not for today's out of touch, running out of time, GOP.

Speaking of being out of touch, another minority group losing employment since, as you put it "a black man moved into the White House." Why is skin color so important to you?

CNSNews.com) - Unemployment among American Hispanics climbed to 9.4 percent in July, up from 9.1 percent in May and June, and 9.0 percent in April, according to data released today by the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

The Hispanic community has been hit harder by unemployment in recent years than Americans generally, as the Hispanic unemployment rate has never dropped below 9.0 percent during President Barack Obama’s time in office, according to BLS.

In June, according to BLS, 2,267,000 Hispanics were unemployed. In July, the number of Hispanics who were unemployed climbed by 99,000 to 2,366,000.

Unemployment Climbs to 9.4% Among Hispanics; Double What It Was 7 Yrs Ago | CNS News

Soooooooooo, conservatives support a jobs bill and pumping federal dollars into education and student loans to get minority youths working or on the glide path to a good paying job. Wait, they don't.

Instead they support the same failed, dishonest policies that caused the Bush Meltdown and resulting in high unemployment: tax cuts for Paris Hilton, deregulation of the financial industry, cutting spending on social programs that increase productivity.

Surprise surprise Sargent Carter!

Well if we do not want to get into conspiracy theories, then we know that the figures are based on surveys. Hard to measure anything perfectly in a $17 trillion economy of 300+ million people. That being said I do not think that many would say that the numbers are directionally correct. By that I mean that this segment of the population has unemployment significantly higher than other groups. Also this is not a new statistic.

It also ties to the percent of high school drop outs for inner city kids (i grew up as one, inner city that is). There are all sorts of reasons. Not sure that the solutions are at the Federal level. Something that needs city and state actions.

Not sure if people know it but the last free ( to the best of my knowledge) public university was CUNY. Not surprising then to look at the number of accomplished Boomers were native New Yorkers.

What I find appalling about this thread is the fact that the OP felt it necessary to point out unemployment numbers of Black teenagers only.

There is a margin of error on all unemployment numbers and it is fairly large if I remember right. That is part of why trends are more important than raw numbers and why the numbers are revised multiple times. The chart the data is from is here: Table A-2. Employment status of the civilian population by race, sex, and age

I can't find a margin of error and on tablet right now(babysitting) so can't really dig into numbers.
The margins of error are not published, but can be c a climate from the D tables at http://www.bls.gov/cps/eetech_methods.pdf

So for Black teenage unemployment rate, the margin of error at 95% confidence ts +/- 6.4 percentage points.
For the total total IS rate it' +/- 0.2 percentage points.

The margins of error are not published, but can be c a climate from the D tables at http://www.bls.gov/cps/eetech_methods.pdf

So for Black teenage unemployment rate, the margin of error at 95% confidence ts +/- 6.4 percentage points.
For the total total IS rate it' +/- 0.2 percentage points.

You are my hero for the day. Thank you very much for that.

We'll all remember that when the next gangbanger tries to commit a heinous crime and ends up in a body bag. You'll be the one crying the crocodile tears, claiming that he was such a good boy.

We'll all remember that when the next gangbanger tries to commit a heinous crime and ends up in a body bag. You'll be the one crying the crocodile tears, claiming that he was such a good boy.

So to you gangbanger = black

Not sure where you want to take this thread. The real tragedy of black un/under employment has been a problem in this country for at least 50 years.

Some might call it racist to NOT recognize the problem and try to find answers to correct it.

Did I say that? That is a generalized term that includes MS 13, Crips, Bloods, Posses, and Latin Kings, etc.

Because the far right is constantly spewing about it. Read some of their comments on these threads It is their constant topic. They talk about little else.

Wow, Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson are part of the vast right wing conspiracy, who knew???

What I find appalling about this thread is the fact that the OP felt it necessary to point out unemployment numbers of Black teenagers only

For some reason Wehrwolfen is obsessed with Black people in the USA. I've looked at a lot of his threads and I don't recall one that didn't discuss Black Americans and/or what they do and/or don't do. He must worry about them constantly.

For some reason Wehrwolfen is obsessed with Black people in the USA. I've looked at a lot of his threads and I don't recall one that didn't discuss Black Americans and/or what they do and/or don't do. He must worry about them constantly.

All people of conscience should be concerned about the issue. If you are not, fine. Attacking someone else's character for discussing this issue is racist in my view.

Back
Top Bottom