• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Shocking: Black Teen Unemployment Rate 41.6%

All people of conscience should be concerned about the issue. If you are not, fine. Attacking someone else's character for discussing this issue is racist in my view.

Physician heal thyself.

Why is it appalling, when it's a factual truth? We do know that this is the result of Obama policies. Even the employment information is a lie to the People. Obama claims employment is up. Sure, when more than 70% of the jobs listed are part-time. If we were to look at the true employment issue as we did before Obama became president, employment was always measured on those working full time positions. Why is that?

Why is it appalling, when it's a factual truth? We do know that this is the result of Obama policies. Even the employment information is a lie to the People. Obama claims employment is up. Sure, when more than 70% of the jobs listed are part-time. If we were to look at the true employment issue as we did before Obama became president, employment was always measured on those working full time positions. Why is that?

It is because some black youths find it easier to remain ignorant..no matter what help is given to them.. or whoever holds their hand out to them..

If we were to look at the true employment issue as we did before Obama became president, employment was always measured on those working full time positions. Why is that?
Bollocks. Absolutely untrue.

First, the Current Employment Survey, the official jobs numbers, does not and never has distinguished between full time and part time. It only asks number of employees, how many women, average hours, average pay, overtime hours.

Second, the full time, part time numbers come from the Current Population Survey, which is used for the unemployment rate. From 1976 to 1993, the full time unemployment rate was published as an additional measure, but the main UE has never distinguished.

It is because some black youths find it easier to remain ignorant..no matter what help is given to them.. or whoever holds their hand out to them..

I'm not one to blame black children. I think it's more the disintegration of the Black family.

I'm not one to blame black children. I think it's more the disintegration of the Black family.

I have never blamed black children..no father..living on welfare...get rich quick ..become a Gangsta..

How could you ever emerge from a caterpillar to a butterfly???

Bollocks. Absolutely untrue.

First, the Current Employment Survey, the official jobs numbers, does not and never has distinguished between full time and part time. It only asks number of employees, how many women, average hours, average pay, overtime hours.

Second, the full time, part time numbers come from the Current Population Survey, which is used for the unemployment rate. From 1976 to 1993, the full time unemployment rate was published as an additional measure, but the main UE has never distinguished.

And your source?

I have never blamed black children..no father..living on welfare...get rich quick ..become a Gangsta..

How could you ever emerge from a caterpillar to a butterfly???

I didn't accuse you of blaming the children. The future of this nation is dependent upon all our children. Why is it Progressives continue to pay lip service to minorities and the poor while destroying the family core?

BS, I want them do get jobs. For sure the crime rate would go down.

There are 7 oil field jobs companies looking for applicants and 200,000 trucking jobs available.
Perhaps some people are too choosey about where they work, or perhaps some people are not qualified.
Would education help?

There are 7 oil field jobs companies looking for applicants and 200,000 trucking jobs available.
Perhaps some people are too choosey about where they work, or perhaps some people are not qualified.
Would education help?
Link to those 200K trucking jobs? I work in that industry and I dont believe it.
Also, when you say "trucking jobs" are you refering to jobs were the company truck is used or loads that need to be hauled? If they are just loads that need to be hauled, then you will have to be an independent trucker.
Kinda hard to be one with no truck and no bank is just going to let you borrow $150K to $200K to get into trucking.

Link to those 200K trucking jobs? I work in that industry and I dont believe it.
Also, when you say "trucking jobs" are you refering to jobs were the company truck is used or loads that need to be hauled? If they are just loads that need to be hauled, then you will have to be an independent trucker.
Kinda hard to be one with no truck and no bank is just going to let you borrow $150K to $200K to get into trucking.

Unemployment in Colorado Springs is at an 18-month high and across the country people are looking for work.

But there's one industry with 200,000 open jobs. It's just a matter of finding people to fill them. They're the lifeblood of America - truck drivers.

There are 1.5-million truck drivers on America's roads, but it's not enough. There's a huge shortage in the trucking industry. The US Bureau of Labor Statistics expects that number to go up by 20-percent by 2020, which equates to 330,00 jobs in eight years.

Major companies are constantly recruiting at places like the US Truck Driving School in Pueblo.

"We never, ever say: 'Well, this week we don't need any drivers so let's not hire any drivers.' Every single week we are looking to fill two to three trucks," says Mike Robertson, a recruiter with Schneider National.

You can earn $36,000 to $40,000 riding 18-wheels.

"Certain companies are offering sign-on bonuses, tuition reimbursement, great benefits as a way to attract people to the trucking industry," says Emily Clifton, director of the US Truck Driving School in Pueblo.

The reason why more people aren't getting the Commercial Drivers License and hitting the roads is because of the major lifestyle change. The turnover tends to be high and life on the road isn't appealing to everyone.

"It is a tough job. A lot of times you're out on the road for long periods of time. You're away from your family. You're sleeping in a truck the size of a double bunk," says Robertson.

The federal government has also become focused on keeping highways safe. Since 2010, it's become more difficult for drivers with blemished backgrounds to find work.

It's forcing some of the old school truckers out of the business, but opening doors for newcomers.

Unemployment in Colorado Springs is at an 18-month high and across the country people are looking for work.

But there's one industry with 200,000 open jobs. It's just a matter of finding people to fill them. They're the lifeblood of America - truck drivers.

There are 1.5-million truck drivers on America's roads, but it's not enough. There's a huge shortage in the trucking industry. The US Bureau of Labor Statistics expects that number to go up by 20-percent by 2020, which equates to 330,00 jobs in eight years.

Major companies are constantly recruiting at places like the US Truck Driving School in Pueblo.

"We never, ever say: 'Well, this week we don't need any drivers so let's not hire any drivers.' Every single week we are looking to fill two to three trucks," says Mike Robertson, a recruiter with Schneider National.

You can earn $36,000 to $40,000 riding 18-wheels.

"Certain companies are offering sign-on bonuses, tuition reimbursement, great benefits as a way to attract people to the trucking industry," says Emily Clifton, director of the US Truck Driving School in Pueblo.

The reason why more people aren't getting the Commercial Drivers License and hitting the roads is because of the major lifestyle change. The turnover tends to be high and life on the road isn't appealing to everyone.

"It is a tough job. A lot of times you're out on the road for long periods of time. You're away from your family. You're sleeping in a truck the size of a double bunk," says Robertson.

The federal government has also become focused on keeping highways safe. Since 2010, it's become more difficult for drivers with blemished backgrounds to find work.

It's forcing some of the old school truckers out of the business, but opening doors for newcomers.

Find me a bank that will loan 150K to a young black kid with no credit or work history.
I have customers that sit at home and pick and choose loads. One customer hauls for no one but John Deere.
You have to make money on the loads. You cant just go on every run and not make a dime.
Ever fill two 75 gallon fuel tanks? Ever paid for an oil change on a big rig? Ever bought a clutch for one? Its not as easy as you think nor anywhere as cheap.
Or door rate is $97 an hour for over the road trucks. And that is cheap. Caterpillar down the road is $105 at least.
Even if you find a used truck that you can swing the money and or payments on. Its not a inexpensive proposition to get into trucking.
I have known plenty that have gone broke. We had plenty of them just return trucks for voluntary repo when the housing bubble burst and the dump truck game was up.
One serious repair and you can be out of business.

Conservatives shedding crocodile tears over minority youth unemployment.

If it wasn't so pitiful, it would be funny.

Well, remember that we tend to have jobs and therefore pay for these people to live. We have a vested interest in seeing them employed.

Objective Voice said:
What I find appalling about this thread is the fact that the OP felt it necessary to point out unemployment numbers of Black teenagers only.

Wehrwolfen said:
The white teen unemployment rate is half the black rate, although a still high 20%.
Goh said:

My oversight. Still, Wehrwolfen's OP offered no proposals on ways to resolve the unemployment problem among Black teens. Yes, you showed comparative statistics on the unemployment rate between Black teens and White teens, but you did so from the perspective of slight, i.e., "Wasn't the nation's first Black President suppose to fix the unemployment problem for Black (teens) in America? How's that working out for them?"

If you're going to be critical, how about offering some solutions to the problem instead of just pointing fingers?

All people of conscience should be concerned about the issue. If you are not, fine. Attacking someone else's character for discussing this issue is racist in my view.

I think it's fine to highlight the problem. However, if all he's doing is highlighting the problem moreso by being critical of those in positions of power and not offering solutions, then in my book he is part of the problem because he's done nothing to change the outcome of those afflicted. Some suggestions:

- Mentor. If you unable or unwilling to start a business, perhaps you could look into mentoring a youth whose family may be struggling financially.

- Internships/apprenticeships. If you're not a small business owner, perhaps you could propose starting an intern/apprenticeship program at your job to help train under-privileged youth.

- Scholarship fund. Goes hand-in-glove with intern/apprenticeship programs. If unable to do one or the other, perhaps you could start a scholarship fund. Doesn't have to be much, but with the ever increasing tuition costs every little bit helps.

Three simple solutions to the Black teen unemployment problem. No solve the problem directly, but if enough people of means who care about the problem take action, the problem could be mitigated.

Last edited:
And your source?

Odd how you ask for mine but made no effort to give your source. Or not so odd since you don't have one.

But I do. First read the Employment Situation Technical Note for the differences between the two surveys.
Then look at the B tables at Employment Situation humans note no split of full time and part time the questionnaires are at http//www.bls.gov/ces/idcfcesforms.htm

The A tables are the household data. Going back to 2004 http://www.bls.gov/news.release/archives/empsit_08062004.pdf and compare tables A1 and A6, you'll see you're wrong about only full time.

Go back even further to 1993 http://fraser.stlouisfed.org/docs/releases/bls/bls_employnews_199305.pdf look at table A-7 and see the alternate U4 measure of full time employment next to the official U5.

My oversight. Still, Wehrwolfen's OP offered no proposals on ways to resolve the unemployment problem among Black teens. Yes, you showed comparative statistics on the unemployment rate between Black teens and White teens, but you did so from the perspective of slight, i.e., "Wasn't the nation's first Black President suppose to fix the unemployment problem for Black (teens) in America? How's that working out for them?"

If you're going to be critical, how about offering some solutions to the problem instead of just pointing fingers?

I think it's fine to highlight the problem. However, if all he's doing is highlighting the problem moreso by being critical of those in positions of power and not offering solutions, then in my book he is part of the problem because he's done nothing to change the outcome of those afflicted. Some suggestions:

- Mentor. If you unable or unwilling to start a business, perhaps you could look into mentoring a youth whose family may be struggling financially.

- Internships/apprenticeships. If you're not a small business owner, perhaps you could propose starting an intern/apprenticeship program at your job to help train under-privileged youth.

- Scholarship fund. Goes hand-in-glove with intern/apprenticeship programs. If unable to do one or the other, perhaps you could start a scholarship fund. Doesn't have to be much, but with the ever increasing tuition costs every little bit helps.

Three simple solutions to the Black teen unemployment problem. No solve the problem directly, but if enough people of means who care about the problem take action, the problem could be mitigated.

Progressives have invested in multifaceted attacks on the family, morals, and education. This has been going on for decades and I'm asked to solve the problem here. Hmm...

Progressives have invested in multifaceted attacks on the family, morals, and education. This has been going on for decades and I'm asked to solve the problem here. Hmm...

I didn't ask you to solve the problem. I suggested that you become part of the solution instead of just slinging mud which clearly was your motive for starting this thread. You proved it by not taking up a single option I mentioned, as well as, falling back on the old "us -vs- them" political attack line.

Find me a bank that will loan 150K to a young black kid with no credit or work history.
I have customers that sit at home and pick and choose loads. One customer hauls for no one but John Deere.
You have to make money on the loads. You cant just go on every run and not make a dime.
Ever fill two 75 gallon fuel tanks? Ever paid for an oil change on a big rig? Ever bought a clutch for one? Its not as easy as you think nor anywhere as cheap.
Or door rate is $97 an hour for over the road trucks. And that is cheap. Caterpillar down the road is $105 at least.
Even if you find a used truck that you can swing the money and or payments on. Its not a inexpensive proposition to get into trucking.
I have known plenty that have gone broke. We had plenty of them just return trucks for voluntary repo when the housing bubble burst and the dump truck game was up.
One serious repair and you can be out of business.

Okay, wallow in negativity. I hear it pays well.

Well there are many threads that people start here and lay out an issue and then people contribute potential answers, not challenge the person's character.

That being said, your proposals are fine, however as you probably know they are all currently being done! This has been a perplexing problem so 50 years, at least to my recollection.

Really not sure a problem can be fixed without understanding what the root cause is. It is here that I think many people who want to fix the problem go lacking. That is because I am not sure we can honestly look into root causes, which in this case is to look at what is causing this negative without many people to attack the people trying to understand the issue. If the answer was easy we would have found the problem and fixed it already. The problem can never be found if we can't as a society point out the problem to start a conversation without being attacked.

by Mike Flynn
2 Aug 2013

Friday's jobs report was disappointing, but it also contained a truly heartbreaking statistic. Black teen unemployment is a shocking 41.6%. In July last year, the unemployment was considerably lower, at 36%. That almost half of black teens who want to work can't find jobs is a stain on Obama's economic policies.

This isn't a numbers trick. This isn't a rate based on the whole black teen population in the country. This is the proportion on the black teen population that is looking for work but can't find a job. Just in March, the number was 8-points lower at 33%. The white teen unemployment rate is half the black rate, although a still high 20%.

[Excerpt]

Read more:
Shocking: Black Teen Unemployment Rate 41.6%

Fear not folks, the economy is getting better. Progressive Education is creating a society of ignorant, illiterate, poverty stricken Americans.

Teens? Seriously? As in: living at home with parents - teenagers which are not emancipated? I'm a mother of four children seeking a job and can't quite land one - odds are because I'm NOT a teen.

Stilll waiting on that link for them 200 thousand jobs.

Over 2,000 jobs available for Veterans, Military Families in Washington, D.C.
Jobs
August 13, 2012
By: Stacy Schilling
Three million open jobs in U.S., but who's qualified?
November 11, 2012 1:17 PM

Back
Top Bottom