• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Shell is pulling out of Russia, dumping Gazprom deal

Now THIS matters. This is where the Russian wealth comes from. Good on Shell.
And in retaliation Russia could shut-off or severely limit gas supplies to Europe. In that scenario nobody wins; Russia loses much needed revenue, European domestic energy costs go through the roof.

Last edited:
And in retaliation Russia could shut-off or severely limit gas supplies to Europe. In that scenario nobody wins; Russia loses much needed revenue, European domestic energy costs go through the roof.
You need to work on being energy independent. It's all the rage right now.

True, but with better leadership we'll get there. You can, too!

Only if we restrict exporting of our oil and eliminate the "free market" for energy.

I agree. I just hope it’s a large enough blow to Russia to save Ukraine from being overrun.
Well it may give other companies courage to reevaluate their business relationships with Russian companies.

There are very few, if any, nations completely energy independent-including yours. Iceland is one of the few.
Yes, in geothermal energy, but they still need oil.

Well it may give other companies courage to reevaluate their business relationships with Russian companies.
Sure, but the question is whether any of these measures will continue once the crisis in Ukraine is resolved.

No country will have oil independence as long as oil in an international commodity in a free, for profit market. To achieve independence you would need to nationalize the oil industry......good luck with that. I guess it could work if you guaranteed the oil companies that you would buy all their oil at we'll above world prices......good luck with that one too.

No country will have oil independence as long as oil in an international commodity in a free, for profit market. To achieve independence you would need to nationalize the oil industry......good luck with that. I guess it could work if you guaranteed the oil companies that you would buy all their oil at we'll above world prices......good luck with that one too.
And there goes our short-lived agreement! What is it with you lefties, that always always always have to get the ****ing government involved?

And there goes our short-lived agreement! What is it with you lefties, that always always always have to get the ****ing government involved?
I don't want to involve the government. I'm simply saying the outside of nationalizing the industry there is no likelihood of energy independence......follow the money.

I hate to jinx this guys, but liberals and conservatives are finally agreeing in one political thread. :p
I haven't heard anything from Starbucks. They have 140 stores in Russia that are open for apparently open for business.

Maybe we should boycott until they close Russian stores. How do liberals in here feel about that?

LMAO... If I run a US refinery and can buy oil cheaper from any other country than the US, where do you suppose I will purchase that oil?

I am surprised they are still there.....they are very socially conscience. I don't go there so I cant boycott but I am curious, is your suggestion that all American businesses should get out of Russia or be boycotted or did you deliberately single out Starbucks?

LMAO... Our "conservative" friends suddenly don't believe in the "free market"?

Read this thread carefully and understand how oil/gas works in the free market. And then notice which people are suggesting that we socialize energy.

Is anyone really surprised?

Now THIS matters. This is where the Russian wealth comes from. Good on Shell.

I don't think this matters that much.

Shell/BP are going to be taking huge losses on selling these positions while at the same time Russia doesn't need the capital or expertise. So Shell/BP are going to get 15-20 cents on the dollar for their position. What's the downside to Russia? It's not like they are a third world country that needs the technology or expertise.

LMAO... Our "conservative" friends suddenly don't believe in the "free market"?
You have a comprehension issue, get back to me when that's fixed.

Back
Top Bottom