• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Shell is pulling out of Russia, dumping Gazprom deal

LMAO... If I run a US refinery and can buy oil cheaper from any other country than the US, where do you suppose I will purchase that oil?
Irrelevant. So long as we export more than we import.

Putin is scrambling to hold some shit together.

Yeah they get a pass I guess

Kind of a dumb concept. Unless you are suggesting you are going to boycott every company that has stores or investments in Russia. Which I am guessing you are only demanding one side does. Have you heard of hypocrisy? Fun word - look it up.

I don't think this matters that much.

Shell/BP are going to be taking huge losses on selling these positions while at the same time Russia doesn't need the capital or expertise.
Shell/BP have enough $ to eat the losses. Russia? Not so much.

Shell/BP have enough $ to eat the losses. Russia? Not so much.

Err, you sure? BP's market cap has been halved over the last ten years. If they have to eat a $10B loss, that's 10% of their market cap at this point. RDS is relatively stable, but only slightly higher. It would eat 7% of their value.

Correction: BP is anticipating a $25B writedown (oooooof). Shell's loss is much smaller at an anticipated $3B.

That BP hit is incredible though. Losing 25% of your capitalization in one swoop.

Now THIS matters. This is where the Russian wealth comes from. Good on Shell.

No real effect and actually a benefit to Russian real wealth. Shell gained those assets most likely in the 1990's when Russia was broke and sought any deals. So Shell picked them up cheap, now the pull out will see Shell get rid of them cheap, allowing Russians to pick them back up at a reasonable rate.

Back
Top Bottom