• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Sheep-eating Plant will Bloom in UK After 15 Years.....

MMC

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Private
Sheep eating plant.....well that's a new one on me. At least the plant doesn't just reach out grab something. They sure made it sound worse than what it is. It's not like they let the thing out in the wild. Now we Americans just have to hope no one gets any of those growing out in the wild over here. Course should you come across one in the US and it is on a State Park or Federal Land. Ya mights want to get out of the area as quick as ya can. :lol:

The plant appears to be huge at first sight. It is known in its provenance of South America as Puya Chilensis. Famously regarded as the sheep-eating plant, this botanical oddity is partially carnivorous. It has razor sharp spikes in which sheep and birds get entangled.Then they die a slow death from rotting as the plant dissects them. Finally, the decomposed remains are absorbed by the plant for nourishment purposes. In South America, the farmers and nomads would burn the plants so that their sheep could be safe.

puya-chilensis.jpg

The UK planted its first Puya Chilensis 15 years ago. Today it stands as a full-fledged plant in a greenhouse in Surrey. One of the spokeswomen for the Royal Horticultural Society in Wisley said that the plant was fed a natural diet of rich liquid fertilizer. Feeding it sheep would have been a bit odd. And it is grown inside a glass greenhouse. Thus its deadly spikes can’t have access to children (or sheep) that visit the Society premises. The real home of the Puya Chilensis is Chile where it blooms in the Andes. The plant has green and yellow flowers on top of its dangerous spikes. The spikes are 12 feet in height and 5 feet in width. The fact that it is carnivorous does not detract from its good points. Its flowers lend birds and bees access to nectar.

Read more at Sheep-eating Plant will Bloom in UK After 15 Years - I4U News

Yeah, I wouldn't go near them if I ran across them out in the wild. :shock:

sheep-eating-plant-blooms-uk.jpg

I used to joke about plants that ate small childten... maybe i shouldnt do that anymore....

WTF kind of sheep are they raising that get stuck in a plant 12 feet high?

Reminds me of the Little Shop of Horrors - "Feed me, Seymour!"

Please don't hurt my dddddddddaddy

OMG, the mental image it's feeding habits elicit are positively ghastly. I can honestly say I'm a bit shaken to learn that such a horrific plant even exists! :shock:

WTF kind of sheep are they raising that get stuck in a plant 12 feet high?

You never know what the Welsh are doing. :mrgreen:

Sheep eating plant.....well that's a new one on me. At least the plant doesn't just reach out grab something. They sure made it sound worse than what it is. It's not like they let the thing out in the wild. Now we Americans just have to hope no one gets any of those growing out in the wild over here. Course should you come across one in the US and it is on a State Park or Federal Land. Ya mights want to get out of the area as quick as ya can. :lol:

Read more at Sheep-eating Plant will Bloom in UK After 15 Years - I4U News

Its to control the population of Wales.

I just turned this into a Welsh bashing session. :lamo

Hehe - what critter is such a pest that restaurants put it on the menu over there in the UK? Rabbits? Something is such a reproductive pain they opened hunting season just to cull it.

Better be careful messing round with Pod Plants. :2razz:

th

Hehe - what critter is such a pest that restaurants put it on the menu over there in the UK? Rabbits? Something is such a reproductive pain they opened hunting season just to cull it.

Can't tell if joking or not....
Assuming So :mrgreen:
If not then the simple answer is that we don't.

How weird! Thanks for sharing. I love learning about oddities.

Domesticated sheep are notoriously stupid. I have heard stories of them falling and rolling down hills and finding themselves upside down, unable to right themselves even though it was physically possible for them to do so.

Back
Top Bottom