• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every persons position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

She survived her first driving-while-texting accident – but not her second

Dittohead not!

master political analyst
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
[h=1]She survived her first driving-while-texting accident – but not her second

“I thought this would be a wake up call for her,” said Clark’s mother Bonnye Spray. “And it was for a short time she wouldn’t talk on the phone, she was more cautious. But she got more confident in her driving and a sense of ‘Hey, I survived one, I’m invincible, nothing is going to happen to me now.’”

So, instead of putting the phone away after the first accident, she went on to kill herself by texting while driving a year later. So much for awareness of the danger. What does it take, I wonder, for the texters, the tailgaters, and the Indy driver wannabes to quit doing what they're doing?
A $150 fine certainly doesn't do the job.

Lovebug

Let go and let God
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Irresponsible driving is getting out of hand. Why do we have such overblown egos to think that we are the only one who matter?
Impaired/intoxicated driving, texting, bullying, cutting people off, road rage...what is wrong with us?
Ok, all of us are a bit guilty, and please don't tell me you haven't said some choice words when some old person drives too slow and you just can't pass them.
Texting, drinking...no excuse.

Casper

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

So, instead of putting the phone away after the first accident, she went on to kill herself by texting while driving a year later. So much for awareness of the danger. What does it take, I wonder, for the texters, the tailgaters, and the Indy driver wannabes to quit doing what they're doing?

Gene pool cleansing itself, sadly some are simply not equipped to survive in the world.

Grand Mal

bas air son Eachin
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal

There's talk here of confiscating their phones. A week for the first offense, a month for the second, on top of the fines.
Sounds good to me.

Carjosse

Sit Nomine Digna
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
There's talk here of confiscating their phones. A week for the first offense, a month for the second, on top of the fines.
Sounds good to me.

Well until they just buy another one.

Grand Mal

bas air son Eachin
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Well until they just buy another one.

True, but a lot of people would lose more than a cell phone. Especially if they use it for work/business.

Carjosse

Sit Nomine Digna
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
True, but a lot of people would lose more than a cell phone. Especially if they use it for work/business.

Exactly, they would just get another one. If you want to accomplish something put them in jail for the week instead.

Carjosse

Sit Nomine Digna
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Gene pool cleansing itself, sadly some are simply not equipped to survive in the world.

Well until they kill someone else due to their distracted driving.

Gaius46

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
If texting-while-driving is actually that much of a problem perhaps license suspensions are called for.

chuckiechan

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Using your phone is not all that bad. Texting and internet browsing certainly is.

For the millions of people driving around talking on the phone there are remarkably few accidents.

You can't make everything illegal. They keep trying that here in California. The make talking on a cell phone illegal without hands free. Well, the law is now pretty much ignored, but we have created a few million more lawbreakers.

GunFora

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
Sounds good to me.

lmao that would be worse than a jail term to most of today's smartphoneaholics. People just can't put their damn phones away...especially the millennials and teens.

Chomsky

Social Democrat
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Using your phone is not all that bad. Texting and internet browsing certainly is.

For the millions of people driving around talking on the phone there are remarkably few accidents.

You can't make everything illegal. They keep trying that here in California. The make talking on a cell phone illegal without hands free. Well, the law is now pretty much ignored, but we have created a few million more lawbreakers.
Agreed.

A suburb near me made eating while driving illegal.

That would kill us as a family, because whenever I send one of the kids out to pick-up food that has a finger-friendly component (ex: french fries), we commonly have a process occur during the return trip that we jokingly refer to as "evaporation"!

Grand Mal

bas air son Eachin
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Exactly, they would just get another one. If you want to accomplish something put them in jail for the week instead.

Okay with me. They can't have phones in jail, either.

Gaius46

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
Agreed.

That would kill us as a family, because whenever I send one of the kids out to pick-up food that has a finger-friendly component (ex: french fries), we commonly have a process occur during the return trip that we jokingly refer to as "evaporation"!

If anyone dared eat in my car I'd skin them alive :)

Casper

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Well until they kill someone else due to their distracted driving.

I agree. Blew my mind when at the time Governor Perry refused to sign a bill outlawing texting and driving, it is like supporting drunk driving, oh except that the drunk is at least Trying to drive where as the texter has given up on the idea completely.

Carjosse

Sit Nomine Digna
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Agreed.

How does a suburb make something illegal? Secondly, I doubt that is the kind of behavior that the law is aimed at.

Carjosse

Sit Nomine Digna
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
I agree. Blew my mind when at the time Governor Perry refused to sign a bill outlawing texting and driving, it is like supporting drunk driving, oh except that the drunk is at least Trying to drive where as the texter has given up on the idea completely.

Is it true that in the US you do not take drunk driving very seriously? Apparently you can refuse to take a breathalyzer test?

Chomsky

Social Democrat
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
How does a suburb make something illegal? Secondly, I doubt that is the kind of behavior that the law is aimed at.
What?

They passed a local traffic ordinance!

Grand Mal

bas air son Eachin
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
lmao that would be worse than a jail term to most of today's smartphoneaholics. People just can't put their damn phones away...especially the millennials and teens.

Yeah, that's the thinking.
I may be being forced to get a cell phone- pay phones are getting to be like hens teeth.

tres borrachos

HoHoHo
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate

If you want to be stupid, do it in your own home. People like this are stupid enough to kill themselves, fine. But these are the types of people who also kill innocent people.

longview

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
I know in Alberta they have a distracted driving law, anything that distracts your driving will get a ticket.
Myself I think people who text while driving are worse then the drunk drivers.
It seems I am not the only one who thinks that.
Is Texting While Driving More Dangerous Than Drunk Driving? -
Maybe for teens, we could have a device that renders the phones inoperable while the car is moving?

Casper

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Is it true that in the US you do not take drunk driving very seriously? Apparently you can refuse to take a breathalyzer test?
If you do you will be arrested.

Top Bottom