• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Shaving

Sagittarius83

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
I am using disposable razors but it seems like a waste of plastic.

The only other options are a straight razor that would require a strop and is pretty much just a sharp knife at your throat, an electric razor which doesn’t seem to give a very close shave, and a safety razor which on first impulse seems like a good decision but I haven’t tried it.

What has worked well for you?

I've used an electric shaver my whole life. It's not as close as a blade but good enough.

The only other options are a straight razor that would require a strop and is pretty much just a sharp knife at your throat, an electric razor which doesn’t seem to give a very close shave, and a safety razor which on first impulse seems like a good decision but I haven’t tried it.

I'm using a Harry's five-blade now, it's pretty comfortable, and doesn't need replacement very often. But I also shave much less frequently than I did when I was young. Having a week's worth of facial growth has not been unusual in a COVID world due to less public exposure.

But one essential is a good badger shaving brush, not only for applying shaving soap, but to lift the whiskers. I've tried the synthetics but they just don't do the job.

The Bic Razor and replacement blades are a cheap and good quality option.

I went back to the ordinary cheapo twin blade disposables years ago because I figured out that changing my technique made these blades more than good enough.
And I do have very thick and wiry whiskers, so while I don't get more than about three decent shaves, it's still cheap and cost effective for me.
There are more than a few small paper/glass/plastic/metal recycle kiosk outfits around here that don't mind a load of disposable razors by the way, they use a simple grinder and a magnet to separate the metal.
So at least for me, I know my razors are being turned back into dog bowls or whatever.

I wish those same outfits also accepted CARDBOARD. Yes, it IS paper but I guess they only want light paper goods.

I've mostly used a 3 blade razor with replacement blades since they sent me a free one in the mail decades ago. Man, that advertising technique really works. There's a brand of chips that i was part of a test group for, too. I still buy them. These days, i might not use an unsolicited razor or eat chips from the mail, but that was a different time.

#beard

Though on the neck, I just use the thing without a blade. Leaves it looking like 2-3 day shadow. What do I care? I only bother shaving if I'm appearing in court, which is not all that often when you focus on appeals.

Then, Gillette Mach 3 works for me. Various four and five blade samples were found wanting. I kinda wanted to try a straight razor, but then...why bother when I barely shave now anyway?

Safery razors work great, better than the multi blade stuff and is way cheaper

Perhaps you should take a tip from the fair and lovely .

Increase your oestrogen levels .

Perhaps you should take a tip from the fair and lovely .

Increase your oestrogen levels .
My facial and body hair is decidedly masculine. So razors are always at a disadvantage. There’s so much estrogen in the environment which is likely why fertility rates are lowering in the west but it hasn’t affected me yet. Still I have produced four girls in a row and statistically that is unlikely. So who knows what is going on 🙄😉

What do you to with the used blades?
Either garbage or recycle.
Number of shaves per blade varies from person to person and make of blade.
Should be able to get 100 blades for less than 20$ if you change every 3-4 shaves (which is very often I usually get around 10-12) so at least a years use probably more

Either garbage or recycle.
Number of shaves per blade varies from person to person and make of blade.
Should be able to get 100 blades for less than 20$ if you change every 3-4 shaves (which is very often I usually get around 10-12) so at least a years use probably more
Can you bring these on carry on luggage?

What do you to with the used blades?
Old houses in the US used to have a slot in the back of the medicine cabinet in the bathroom for disposal of used blades. I forget who it was that came out with a tv add that showed what happened when one too many blades were disposed of in this manner…..

Yes and no, depending on the TSA agent, Ive gotten on planes and had the blades taken from the razor
Seems like they have gotten more strict lately. Now they seem to empty my suitcase at every stop.

That
Old houses in the US used to have a slot in the back of the medicine cabinet in the bathroom for disposal of used blades. I forget who it was that came out with a tv add that showed what happened when one too many blades were disposed of in this manner…..
That seemed so short sighted. Seems like these were a public health problem for the next owner plus they were likely to smell from the fact that they were likely a bacteria magnet.

I have a gillete adjustable razor (double blade)

I am using these disposables that work out to about 10 cents a shave but I just hate wasting all this plastic.

I understand.

The other solution, the straight razor that allows eternal re-use with re-sharpening, seems like the only other option.

Ah... The good ol' days.

I understand.

The other solution, the straight razor that allows eternal re-use with re-sharpening, seems like the only other option.

Ah... The good ol' days.
I tried that once and it must be an acquired skill.
So many cuts.
Have you tried it?

So many cuts.
Have you tried it?
I bought on of those straight razor kits a while back. Comes with razor, bristle brush and a tin of shaving soap. I used the blade once and my hand was shaking so badly, all I use now is the brush and the soap.

A young man can get away with looking scruffy, and older guy looks like a wino.

So many cuts.
Have you tried it?

Never. I like the little plastic assemblies with the five blades that pretty much make cuts a bad memory.

In truth, I've only seen those straight razor things in movies.

I use a double edge blade/safety razor. Much, much cheaper than cartridge blades, less plastic waste, and sharper blades.

There is a learning curve to it, but I wouldn't go back to cartridges like mach 3.

Back
Top Bottom