• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Sharron Angle brags about her fundraising from "friendly" outlets like Fox News

Thank you for giving us that informative insight into the pathology of a Fox News Viewer.

1) You prefer news media that confirms your world view.

2) You appreciate the repeated talking points throughout the broadcast day, as hearing them over and over helps you recall them.

3) You believe journalistic ethics are old fashioned and outdated.

4) Editorial is more informative than news--and saves on the time it takes to form an opinion.

5) You like news media that promotes candidates with softball interviews and plugging websites.

6) You applaud Angle's honesty, saying what we already knew about the integrity of Fox News.

So, a more accurate slogan for Fox would be: "Confirming a conservative world view"

You're playing the blind man and pretending that she's the only one who's ever said things of that nature - or used interviews as pure publicity for campaign funds.
What is it that Pelosi said? Something about 'it was easy to control the media. . .'

I don't watch any 24/7 news because I consider them ALL corrupt or moot. . . I prefer to READ for my information and I watch CSpan - and if I do watch news on TV I try to get the full scope which means *not* going to just 1 source for my info - but getting it from a variety of sources.

You're presenting your issue as if she's the only person - ever - in the history of our country's politics - to see the campaing-fund benefit that interviews et al can bring. Obama, for example, did the SAME THING.

So why is it ok for Obama, Pelosi or even Keyes to do it - but not ok for Angle?

If you dont' think that *every single* politician sees on-tv appearances as a way of plugging in their website, ideas, theories and beliefs then *you're* living in a bubble. They all do it - everyone, every station.

Now. If you weren't just focusing on *her* at Fox - and just commenting on the ENTIRE practice of 'free publicity to spike contributions' in general then I'd take a different reaction.
But you're not being against *the entire practice* - you're just against Angle doing it.

But when Obama or Green did it - eh - did you care?

How's this, then:
ALL 24/7 news is corrupt and they ALL fall short of being 'real legitimate news' channels. Thus - I avoid them *all* equally.

You're playing the blind man and pretending that she's the only one who's ever said things of that nature - or used interviews as pure publicity for campaign funds.
What is it that Pelosi said? Something about 'it was easy to control the media. . .'

I'm not pretending, she is the only high profile candidate to come out and acknowledge that she sees Fox News as a promotional tool to raise funds.

I don't watch any 24/7 news because I consider them ALL corrupt or moot. . . I prefer to READ for my information and I watch CSpan - and if I do watch news on TV I try to get the full scope which means *not* going to just 1 source for my info - but getting it from a variety of sources.

Very good practice.

But then why are you defending something that is obviously a corruption of the system -- a major news network that promotes itself as 'fair and balanced' engages in practices that are anything but.

You're presenting your issue as if she's the only person - ever - in the history of our country's politics - to see the campaing-fund benefit that interviews et al can bring. Obama, for example, did the SAME THING.

Ask yourself why she didn't like O'Reilly? And probably will never go near Chris Wallace?

She's not doing interviews. These are infomercials.

So why is it ok for Obama, Pelosi or even Keyes to do it - but not ok for Angle?

If you dont' think that *every single* politician sees on-tv appearances as a way of plugging in their website, ideas, theories and beliefs then *you're* living in a bubble. They all do it - everyone, every station.

Do you understand the difference between Jay Leno and Meet The Press/Face the Nation? Leno is not a threat. There is no risk or downside to Leno. Just like there is not risk or downside for conservative candidates to go Hannity or Limbaugh. They get to look like they're being questioned on issues without risking the potential fallout from a real interview not going well.

When most political candidates appear on television in a legitimate interview or discussion, they are asked a serious of questions and follow ups about policy and views. Or they are seated next to someone from the opposition in a mini-debate format focusing on one or two specific issues of the day.

Go back and watch Hannity interviewing Sarah Palin prior to the election. The first 6 questions where about Obama--setups for talking points. Hannity was not interviewing her, he was selling a product.

Think about the expression 'stay on message' -- don't get thrown by a question. Answer follow up questions by rephrasing your answer to the original question. On Hannity and Limbaugh there is a daily narrative which makes staying on message easy.

Now. If you weren't just focusing on *her* at Fox - and just commenting on the ENTIRE practice of 'free publicity to spike contributions' in general then I'd take a different reaction.
But you're not being against *the entire practice* - you're just against Angle doing it.

What 'entire practice'? What Angle is talking about (on tape) is self-promotion under the guise of an interview.

This forum is BIAS in the Media. This thread is more about Fox.

But when Obama or Green did it - eh - did you care?

Did what? Obama has done every type of interview, townhall, debate, etc. If you want to point to a specific instance of a deliberately softball interview (excluding Leno), fine. But you really are comparing apples to plastic fruit.

How's this, then:
ALL 24/7 news is corrupt and they ALL fall short of being 'real legitimate news' channels. Thus - I avoid them *all* equally.

I recommend the Sunday morning shows and C-span.

Thank you for giving us that informative insight into the pathology of a Fox News Viewer.

1) You prefer news media that confirms your world view.

2) You appreciate the repeated talking points throughout the broadcast day, as hearing them over and over helps you recall them.

3) You believe journalistic ethics are old fashioned and outdated.

4) Editorial is more informative than news--and saves on the time it takes to form an opinion.

5) You like news media that promotes candidates with softball interviews and plugging websites.

6) You applaud Angle's honesty, saying what we already knew about the integrity of Fox News.

So, a more accurate slogan for Fox would be: "Confirming a conservative world view"

Do you consider MSNBC to be a left wing Fox? They have the same type shows. Maddow, Olbermann etc. as Hannity, O'Reilly.
Why do you think they do hit pieces on Republican candidates? Don't you think it might be to help their guy get elected with votes or donations? They don't do hit pieces on Dems. They put Grayson, and Coons on.(just two I know of) They put Rand Paul on then used it against him.
It's all fair. Just because Fox is better at it doesn't make it wrong.

HAZLNUT SAID When most political candidates appear on television in a legitimate interview or discussion, they are asked a serious of questions and follow ups about policy and views. Or they are seated next to someone from the opposition in a mini-debate format focusing on one or two specific issues of the day.

Did this ever happen with Obama? He was always asked softball questions. Fox is much tougher on their own than the MSM is on their own. In fact O' Reilly can be down right vicious.
It doesn't matter though, because no one on the left or right is doing anything illegal.

HAZLNUT SAID When most political candidates appear on television in a legitimate interview or discussion, they are asked a serious of questions and follow ups about policy and views. Or they are seated next to someone from the opposition in a mini-debate format focusing on one or two specific issues of the day.

Did this ever happen with Obama? He was always asked softball questions. Fox is much tougher on their own than the MSM is on their own. In fact O' Reilly can be down right vicious.
It doesn't matter though, because no one on the left or right is doing anything illegal.

was he, barb? always?

was he, barb? always?

To the best of my knowledge, yes he was, before he was elected.
Everyone was too busy in Wasilla digging up dirt on Palin to bother investigating the presidential candidate and asking him hard questions.

Everyone was too busy in Wasilla digging up dirt on Palin to bother investigating the presidential candidate and asking him hard questions.

She could barely handle herself in an interview. Obama was much more skilled in this department.

what knowledge do you have of this? did you watch interviews? or is this just your opinion?

Advertising/promoting a political donations website on a 'news' channel. I guess they get the 'interview show' exception.

Her statement is still cringe-worthy, though, revealing what a bunch of nitwits some of these Tea Party candidates are.

So you admit that you have no idea whether this violates any rules?

Strawman.

Google 'Equal time rule'. - guess Fox gets the exception under 'interview shows'. I don't think they actually do straight news anymore; maybe for 2 hrs midday.

But the FCC should require them to stop with 'Fair and Balanced' slogan. It's false advertising.

It's amazing that people aren't more embarrassed by her.

"However, there are four exceptions: if the air-time was in a documentary, bona fide news interview, scheduled newscast or an on-the-spot news event the equal-time rule is not valid. Since 1983, political debates not hosted by the media station are considered news events, thus may include only major-party candidates without having to offer air time to minor-party or independent candidates."

:failpail:

she is the only high profile candidate to come out and acknowledge that she sees Fox News as a promotional tool to raise funds.

So - you're saying that she's being honest and admitting something.
Even though this is something that most people *do* all the time and it's been researched and endlessly document - they just don't *talk about it*

She's, then, our first *honest* politician.
:rofl
Yes - investigate that FCC!

I say, then, rag her so she can't spew truths anymore! That'll teach her!

So - you're saying that she's being honest and admitting something.
Even though this is something that most people *do* all the time and it's been researched and endlessly document - they just don't *talk about it*

She's, then, our first *honest* politician.
:rofl
Yes - investigate that FCC!

I say, then, rag her so she can't spew truths anymore! That'll teach her!

She also had that quote about how the media should be their friends and only ask questions candidates they want to be asked. We all know every politician secretly wants that, but she was the first one who was silly enough to actually suggest it out loud.

She also had that quote about how the media should be their friends and only ask questions candidates they want to be asked. We all know every politician secretly wants that, but she was the first one who was silly enough to actually suggest it out loud.

Citing her for honesty :shrug:
And all I hear is everyone complaining that politicians aren't honest. And when one actually is to a fault - it's no good.

This whole thing is just amusing. . . *taking notes*

Back
Top Bottom