• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Sharron Angle brags about her fundraising from "friendly" outlets like Fox News

hazlnut

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
Sharron Angle brags about her fundraising from "friendly" outlets like Fox News

Sharron Angle: It's going really well. If you're interested in just the Internet part of that -- and of course I've been criticized for saying that I like to be friends with the [press] -- but here's the deal: when I get a friendly press outlet -- not so much the guy that's interviewing me -- it's their audience that I'm trying to reach. So, if I can get on Rush Limbaugh, and I can say, "Harry Reid needs $25 million. I need a million people to send twenty five dollars to SharronAngle.com." The day I was able to say that [even], he made $236,000 dollars. That's why it's so important. Somebody...I'm going on Bill O'Reilly the 16th. They say, "Bill O'Reilly, you better watch out for that guy, he's not necessarily a friendly"...Doesn't matter, his audience is friendly, and if I can get an opportunity to say that at least once on his show -- when I said it on Sean Hannity's television show we made $40,000 before we even got out of the studio in New York. It was just [great]. So that's what I'm really reaching out to is that audience that's had it with Harry, and you can watch that happen when I go on those shows. Go on my website, it starts coming in. We have an automatic...when you put your name in there and it doesn't tell how much you gave, but it tells your name and where you're from. And so you can just watch it; it just rolls like this. In fact, with Rush Limbaugh we put it all down. We couldn't take the ticker going fast enough. And we've pulled in over [3,000,000] dollars just from that kind of a message going out.

Why isn't the FCC looking into this?

For what? That she gets donations after people hear her talk?

Don't be stupid, the fact that she referred to O'Reilly's audience as friendly to her views is conclusive proof that Fox News should be [something'd] by the FCC.

I mean, Media Matters said so - why bother thinking any further?

They play fast and loose the equal time rule. Promoting a link or phone number for donations steps outside the bonafide 'news' interview exception.

Hell, being interviewed by Hannity is in no ****ing way a bonafide NEWS interview.

Jeez, read the article before replying, will ya?

So, if I can get on Rush Limbaugh, and I can say, "Harry Reid needs $25 million. I need a million people to send twenty five dollars to SharronAngle.com."

Get it, now?

They play fast and loose the equal time rule. Promoting a link or phone number for donations steps outside the bonafide 'news' interview exception.

Hell, being interviewed by Hannity is in no ****ing way a bonafide NEWS interview.

Got a link to some case law to support this?

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances." -1st amendment.

I'm sorry you find that so offensive.

Strawman.

Google 'Equal time rule'. - guess Fox gets the exception under 'interview shows'. I don't think they actually do straight news anymore; maybe for 2 hrs midday.

But the FCC should require them to stop with 'Fair and Balanced' slogan. It's false advertising.

It's amazing that people aren't more embarrassed by her.

Sharron Angle is an awful candidate for innumerable reasons, but I don't think this is one of them.

Our president has pretty much declared fox as not a reliable news source anyway, so what's the big deal? Call it the right arm of the tea party or whatever you like. I doubt it'll hurt their ratings because they are the best thing on.

Because there is nothing wrong with it. Chris Coons the marxist was on MSNBC. He probably got a few donations from their 10 viewers.
Should they be investigated?

Was his website promoted?

Our president has pretty much declared fox as not a reliable news source anyway, so what's the big deal? Call it the right arm of the tea party or whatever you like. I doubt it'll hurt their ratings because they are the best thing on.

Well, as long as people understand they're not watching 'News' anymore. It's pure editorial and opinion.

24 hr michael moore movie for the right.

Was his website promoted?

Again, do you have links to anything indicating that this is relevant?

Unless you can show what the legal standards are and how they were violated in this particular case, I don't see how you can argue that the FCC should be involved.

Again, do you have links to anything indicating that this is relevant?

Settle down... I didn't see the interview with Coons and I was just asking.

Unless you can show what the legal standards are and how they were violated in this particular case, I don't see how you can argue that the FCC should be involved.

Advertising/promoting a political donations website on a 'news' channel. I guess they get the 'interview show' exception.

Her statement is still cringe-worthy, though, revealing what a bunch of nitwits some of these Tea Party candidates are.

Jeez, read the article before replying, will ya?

Get it, now?

I read the whole little semi-news 'report'
What's suppose to be wrong with what she said?

There's nothing wrong with someone mentioning *anything* in an interview. :shrug: Phone number, people's names, asking for assistance - none of that is ever any sort of a problem (unless it helps your opponents, I guess).

I read the whole little semi-news 'report'
What's suppose to be wrong with what she said?

You're kidding, right?

There's nothing wrong with someone mentioning *anything* in an interview. :shrug: Phone number, people's names, asking for assistance - none of that is ever any sort of a problem (unless it helps your opponents, I guess).

She's not raising money for pet adoptions or make a wish. She's talking about going on a network that markets itself as 'news' and expecting their help in raising campaign funds. She's saying what many of us already know -- Fox is not a legitimate news network. They are the opposite of fair and balanced.

Will the tea party folks hear this?

Your post seems to indicate all hope is lost... We're totally screwed.

You're kidding, right?

She's not raising money for pet adoptions or make a wish. She's talking about going on a network that markets itself as 'news' and expecting their help in raising campaign funds. She's saying what many of us already know -- Fox is not a legitimate news network. They are the opposite of fair and balanced.

Will the tea party folks hear this?

Your post seems to indicate all hope is lost... We're totally screwed.

Well - now I have to ask if *you* read the article?

This is what it says:
Guest: Sharron, how are you doing as far as the fundraising?

This is the question that she answers.

Sharron Angle: It's going really well. If you're interested in just the Internet part of that -- and of course I've been criticized for saying that I like to be friends with the [press]

Here she is saying that the:
1) internet leg of fund-raising is going well.
2) People give her a hard time because she 'likes to be friends with the press'

-- but here's the deal: when I get a friendly press outlet -- not so much the guy that's interviewing me -- it's their audience that I'm trying to reach. So, if I can get on Rush Limbaugh, and I can say, "Harry Reid needs $25 million. I need a million people to send twenty five dollars to SharronAngle.com." The day I was able to say that [even], he made $236,000 dollars. That's why it's so important.

Here she is saying:
1) I'm not true, deep friends with Fox News people.
2) I use the interviews as an opportunity for free publicity that I don't have to pay for.
3) It works. In my interview I can mention where to send funds - and people who are watching do choose to send funds.

Somebody...I'm going on Bill O'Reilly the 16th. They say, "Bill O'Reilly, you better watch out for that guy, he's not necessarily a friendly"...Doesn't matter, his audience is friendly, and if I can get an opportunity to say that at least once on his show -- when I said it on Sean Hannity's television show we made $40,000 before we even got out of the studio in New York. It was just [great]. So that's what I'm really reaching out to is that audience that's had it with Harry, and you can watch that happen when I go on those shows. Go on my website, it starts coming in. We have an automatic...when you put your name in there and it doesn't tell how much you gave, but it tells your name and where you're from. And so you can just watch it; it just rolls like this. In fact, with Rush Limbaugh we put it all down. We couldn't take the ticker going fast enough. And we've pulled in over [3,000,000] dollars just from that kind of a message going out.

Here she's repeating - giving another example of how interviews are acting as free-publicity that she doesn't have to pay for.

So the real question is: what's shocking about this to you?
Do you think that, all this time, Obama and others have just been gracing television and news shows *just for fun* - or perhaps they *all* do it *because it's profitable to their campaigning*

Yes - the more people *talk about you* and *mention you* and *show your interviews and your face on tv* and even *air your soundbites on the radio* the *more audience-money you'll bring in*

It has ALWAYS been like that.

Did you expect something else to actually be happening?

Public-exposure (public relations) is a KEY component. . . they could either pay out thousands and thousands for PAID advertisements - or just occasionally go on TV and get to people for FREE. And if the do BOTH - OMG! The exposure is just astounding and so are their campaign-contributions.

It's not WRONG
It's not NEW
It's not SHOCKING
It's not UNETHICAL

It is just the WAY things WORK.

I have an entire chapter in my Government book which discusses this type of thing - it's an interesting subject and, no, it's nothing for the FCC to care about. She didn't in *any* way say "Fox or CNN aren't real news stations . . . and I'll tell you why . . . and then reveal damning facts"

News Stations have their interest which they seek to further and preserve by having people invited on.
And politicians have their own, separate interests which they seek to further and preserve by accepting the invitation to come on said shows.

I think you're just shocked by something you never thought of before.

Did you really, genuinely believe that every time Obama, McCain, Pelosi, Bar and anyone else in the political game didn't consider 'this will benefit me and my campaign efforts if I go on tv and talk to them" ?

And just by posting *this post* of yours and pointing out her website you're giving her yet *more* free and unsolicited exposure (which they bet on) - thus spreading her campaign-money taking avenues further, to more people. You're becoming a part of the cycle and system that you seem shocked by. And they don't care - because they're the ones benefiting in the end.

Want someone to go away? The best thing you can do is NOT talk about them.

Last edited:
Thank you for giving us that informative insight into the pathology of a Fox News Viewer.

1) You prefer news media that confirms your world view.

2) You appreciate the repeated talking points throughout the broadcast day, as hearing them over and over helps you recall them.

3) You believe journalistic ethics are old fashioned and outdated.

4) Editorial is more informative than news--and saves on the time it takes to form an opinion.

5) You like news media that promotes candidates with softball interviews and plugging websites.

6) You applaud Angle's honesty, saying what we already knew about the integrity of Fox News.

So, a more accurate slogan for Fox would be: "Confirming a conservative world view"

Thank you for giving us that informative insight into the pathology of a Fox News Viewer.

1) You prefer news media that confirms your world view.

2) You appreciate the repeated talking points throughout the broadcast day, as hearing them over and over helps you recall them.

3) You believe journalistic ethics are old fashioned and outdated.

4) Editorial is more informative than news--and saves on the time it takes to form an opinion.

5) You like news media that promotes candidates with softball interviews and plugging websites.

6) You applaud Angle's honesty, saying what we already knew about the integrity of Fox News.

So, a more accurate slogan for Fox would be: "Confirming a conservative world view"

Is this not true for many liberals who watch MSNBC, CNN, BBC, read the NY Times, the Huffpo, the Daily Kos, and all the other liberal news outlets that clearly outnumber conservative ones? Foxnews did nothing wrong here.

Back
Top Bottom