• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Sharp Words Over Shutdown When Lawmaker Visits WWII Memorial

TacticalEvilDan

Shankmasta Killa
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Now there's video from Wednesday of Texas Republican Rep. Randy Neugebauer telling a Park Service ranger that she and her bosses should be ashamed for carrying out the order that the memorial, like other national parks and monuments, should be closed because there's no money available to keep them open.

Neugebauer was there as more WWII veterans were allowed to visit the memorial because the Park Service has decided the vets are exercising their First Amendment rights. But he wasn't pleased that other members of the public weren't being allowed on to the memorial site. He told the ranger that the Park Service should be ashamed. She said it's difficult to turn people away, but that she wasn't ashamed. "You should be," Neugebauer responded.

Sharp Words Over Shutdown When Lawmaker Visits WWII Memorial : The Two-Way : NPR

YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED of doing what the latest political fiasco in Washington has forced you to do.

This reminds me of when Elliot Spitzer used to descend on gas stations with a local news crew in tow and confront the guy at the counter about gasoline prices. He wasn't confronting the real culprit (or really any culprit) then, and Neugebauer isn't now.

This is the very definition of straw man.

Of course blame the Congressman, talk about a strawman, how about the one who ordered the guards out to close the memorial from being visited? Your condemnation is nothing more than democratic party liberal pathetic story telling. Another talking point of the DNC posted on debatepolitics by someone claiming to lean "other" when they are nothing but liberal partisan hacks.

Of course blame the Congressman, talk about a strawman, how about the one who ordered the guards out to close the memorial from being visited? Your condemnation is nothing more than democratic party liberal pathetic story telling. Another talking point of the DNC posted on debatepolitics by someone claiming to lean "other" when they are nothing but liberal partisan hacks.

Please quote the portion of my post where I implied the Congressman at the center of this story is in any way responsible for either the spending impasse or the closing of the memorial.

Blaming Obama is forbidden. That would be raaaaaacist.

The issue here is that the government has spent more money screwing over old veterans than they would have if they had not Park Service rangers to man the sidewalks. It's blatant style over substance and it worked out to be a poor public relations move implemented by a really stupid person.

Republicans love the vets so much they are kicking 170,000n off food stamps! While those pose for photo's with vets. That all you need to know about those terrorist.

Republicans love the vets so much they are kicking 170,000n off food stamps! While those pose for photo's with vets. That all you need to know about those terrorist.

In what universe are republicans kicking anyone off of food stamps let alone targeting vets?

Republicans wanted food stamp reform, of course that translates into the progressive mind as "republicans want to see everyone starve."

You progressives love abuse of social programs - you love it and don't give a **** if these programs are being abused....

Meanwhile food stamps are being purchased by shady store owners at 50 cents on the dollar - not only that but they're being used to buy products that are unessential forbidden such as alcohol, cigarettes, pre-made food products , fast food, soda etc....

Trying re-reading his post again and think about it.

I don't agree with you. The congressman was dead wrong. "You should be ashamed." Why should a lowly park ranger be ashamed for doing her job? The guy's a jerk. Someone even stepped up to defend the lady. Said something like, "Hey! She's just doing her job. Congress should be ashamed. They're the ones who've put us in this position." (He wasn't even partisan in what he said -- blaming "Congress." And that's where the blame DOES lie.

That congressman was a jerk. And partisanship has nothing to do with it.

I don't agree with you. The congressman was dead wrong. "You should be ashamed." Why should a lowly park ranger be ashamed for doing her job? The guy's a jerk. Someone even stepped up to defend the lady. Said something like, "Hey! She's just doing her job. Congress should be ashamed. They're the ones who've put us in this position." (He wasn't even partisan in what he said -- blaming "Congress." And that's where the blame DOES lie.

Actually, the park service has to go out of their way to close some of these parks which are un-manned to begin with. While the Park Service falls under the Department of the Interior, run by Obama appointee Sally Jewell. So if there's anyone to blame it's the DoI for following the President's political move of shutting down un-manned parks.

I don't agree with you. The congressman was dead wrong. "You should be ashamed." Why should a lowly park ranger be ashamed for doing her job?
Yep... and the NAZI soldiers at Auschwitz were "just doing their job" too.

The fact of the matter is that what that bitch was doing was wrong.

OMFG. Godwinned in 11. Jesus. She wasn't a bitch. She was an employee of the Park Service and was doing her job. Unlike the bullying congressman looking for his 15 minutes. That backfired. He looks like an ass.

She was dead wrong. You don't disrespect veterans especially WW2 veterans.

Tell us again why the monuments had to be 'shut down' and have their access blocked. there is no requirement for staffing and the park department and police are still on the job. So...other than this being just another petty stunt from a petty pathetic excuse of a president...why again were the monuments shut down?

Ever BEEN to those monuments?

I didn't blame the security guard I blamed the person who sent the security guard to the post. Why don't you? Or do you think its ok to spend government money preventing the people from visiting an open air exhibit honoring the service of people? The congressman was also pointing out the error was not with the guard, but with who sent the guard to this post. Of course you don't want to look at that because partisanship has everything to do with that

I didn't blame the security guard I blamed the person who sent the security guard to the post. Why don't you? Or do you think its ok to spend government money preventing the people from visiting an open air exhibit honoring the service of people? The congressman was also pointing out the error was not with the guard, but with who sent the guard to this post. Of course you don't want to look at that because partisanship has everything to do with that

I heard the interview, CalGun. The congressman told the security guard she should be ashamed of herself. And why blame the employee who supervised the monument security for continuing to do HIS job until told otherwise? This is the fault of the United States Congress.

Why the fault of congress? Congress did its job and passed a continuing resolution the democrats and reid won't sent it to the loser in chief - why do you defend the left so much and blame only one party?

The congressman would be wrong in attacking the security guard - on that I agree with you.

I heard the interview, CalGun. The congressman told the security guard she should be ashamed of herself. And why blame the employee who supervised the monument security for continuing to do HIS job until told otherwise? This is the fault of the United States Congress.

Why the fault of congress? Congress did its job and passed a continuing resolution the democrats and reid won't sent it to the loser in chief - why do you defend the left so much and blame only one party?

The congressman would be wrong in attacking the security guard - on that I agree with you.

I'm not defending the left. Where did I do that? I blame the United States Congress -- both sides. Our government is based on compromise. When either side says, "Nope, **** off," that's not good. At the very LEAST the left should agree to sit down with Republicans and show that they're willing to negotiate. But they're not.

It used to be that the party leaders sent their representatives into a freakin' room and said, "Don't come out until you've hammered a compromise." No more. Now? "It's our way or the highway."

If the Democrats sat down and the only thing the Republicans wanted was to repeal Obamacare? Then they've got excellent sound bites. If the Republicans sat down and suggested changing the part-time definition to 20 hours from 30? They'd have excellent sound bites.

Our government can't function with both sides having a scorched earth position. And THAT is why I blame them both.

Sharp Words Over Shutdown When Lawmaker Visits WWII Memorial : The Two-Way : NPR

YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED of doing what the latest political fiasco in Washington has forced you to do.

This reminds me of when Elliot Spitzer used to descend on gas stations with a local news crew in tow and confront the guy at the counter about gasoline prices. He wasn't confronting the real culprit (or really any culprit) then, and Neugebauer isn't now.

This is the very definition of straw man.

Republicans are trying to get all that funded but democrats have no interest unless they get Obamacare funded.....

Nice of you to leave the loser in charge free and clear -you shine thru with your politics don't kid yourself lefty.

The Republicans have tried to negotiate and harry reid won't even send negotiatiors; your dictator in charge will talk to a nation that stones to death gay people but not house Republicans. Since I don't believe you are too naive to buy into the left wing media hyperbole I can only believe you are just another left wing political hack.

I'm not defending the left. Where did I do that? I blame the United States Congress -- both sides. Our government is based on compromise. When either side says, "Nope, **** off," that's not good. At the very LEAST the left should agree to sit down with Republicans and show that they're willing to negotiate. But they're not.

It used to be that the party leaders sent their representatives into a freakin' room and said, "Don't come out until you've hammered a compromise." No more. Now? "It's our way or the highway."

If the Democrats sat down and the only thing the Republicans wanted was to repeal Obamacare? Then they've got excellent sound bites. If the Republicans sat down and suggested changing the part-time definition to 20 hours from 30? They'd have excellent sound bites.

Our government can't function with both sides having a scorched earth position. And THAT is why I blame them both.

So......when does this shutdown actually become....noticeable?

The reason the government fears a shutdown so much is that it just exposes the needlessness and waste of money it was to begin with.

Nice of you to leave the loser in charge free and clear -you shine thru with your politics don't kid yourself lefty.

The Republicans have tried to negotiate and harry reid won't even send negotiatiors; your dictator in charge will talk to a nation that stones to death gay people but not house Republicans. Since I don't believe you are too naive to buy into the left wing media hyperbole I can only believe you are just another left wing political hack.

If you are bound and determined to call someone a left wing political hack, just be sure it's a Democrat. I think for myself. You quite obviously don't. And still you can vote. What a country.

You'd like to remove my ability to vote because I don't agree with you? That makes you worse than a lefty - they have another name for that but I don't want to get into name calling. Such animosity on your part is beneath you. I would never suggest you or anyone else shouldn't be allowed to vote - just shameful of you.

If you are bound and determined to call someone a left wing political hack, just be sure it's a Democrat. I think for myself. You quite obviously don't. And still you can vote. What a country.

You'd like to remove my ability to vote because I don't agree with you? That makes you worse than a lefty - they have another name for that but I don't want to get into name calling. Such animosity on your part is beneath you. I would never suggest you or anyone else shouldn't be allowed to vote - just shameful of you.

Oh, go argue with someone else, CalGun.

Maggie I usually like you but you got this one wrong. The rangers should also have a brain.

Back
Top Bottom