• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Sharen Angles oppses abrtion even for Rape Incest ect.

Well, really; if you believe a fetus's right to occupy a female's uterus trumps said female's right to bodily sovereignty (in other words, if you're on the anti-choice side of the abortion issue), why would you support a rape exception?
It would be hypocritical. It would prove that you were uninterested in "saving the precious preborn people" and only concerned with punishing women for having consensual sex.

And why would an anti-choicer support an "incest" exception? :confused:

I'm baffled.

Nothing that I can tell. She believes in something, and her beliefs are consistent and rational. That's more than I can say about a lot of people, even if I don't agree with her particular beliefs on the subject.

Thanks for you very considerate post.

And for the record, I agree with your take on it.

Though I disagree with her and yourself on the abortion issue itself. (I'm somewhere in the middle of you two)

It's not the worst view, I've heard people who still oppose abortion even for ectopic pregnancies. Really, the only pro-life argument that a rape scenario disarms is the argument that the woman should have thought about getting pregnant before sex. It's a horrible situation, any girl in that case shouldn't be forced to carry the child.

It's really hard being pro-life while being asked about abortions in extreme cases. If you say yes it's ok than you are inundated with other cases like rape, like age 15 vs 13, or what trimester is acceptable, is partial birth abortion acceptable if it's an incest case....on and on. The fact is cases of rape and incest pale in comparison to the number of abortions performed just because it's inconvenient for the mother to carry the baby for 9 months.
I am pro-life and probably like Angle, I think there are usually other options.

It's really hard being pro-life while being asked about abortions in extreme cases. If you say yes it's ok than you are inundated with other cases like rape, like age 15 vs 13, or what trimester is acceptable, is partial birth abortion acceptable if it's an incest case....on and on. The fact is cases of rape and incest pale in comparison to the number of abortions performed just because it's inconvenient for the mother to carry the baby for 9 months.
I am pro-life and probably like Angle, I think there are usually other options.

If you're looking for information on Angle to form an opinion, well, poke around on google.

She's a crazy lady. When asked about her opinions that are listed on her own website she blames Harry Reid for putting words in her mouth. She wants to eliminate virtually every federal agency, privatize social security, end medicare completely, etc.

If you're looking for information on Angle to form an opinion, well, poke around on google.

She's a crazy lady. When asked about her opinions that are listed on her own website she blames Harry Reid for putting words in her mouth. She wants to eliminate virtually every federal agency, privatize social security, end medicare completely, etc.

I'm not real impressed with the way she is handling the press. And all those things you mentioned are probably taken out of context. I haven't felt the need to research her because a talking dog turd would be better than re-electing Harry, so I'm still supporting her.

If the fetus is a human life worth protecting, then logically I don't see why the circumstances of rape or incest should change that.

If the fetus is a human life worth protecting, then logically I don't see why the circumstances of rape or incest should change that.

With all do respect to my 'pro-life' friends,...

I don't know about with all cases of incest,... But I certainly do see a justification for abortions in cases where a woman is raped.

With all do respect to my 'pro-life' friends,...

I don't know about with all cases of incest,... But I certainly do see a justification for abortions in cases where a woman is raped.

I see the possibility of justification. The woman in this case had absolutely no say in the matter and the psychological damage resulting from carrying the resultant pregnancy to term could be traumatic. Of course, the child in question is not in any way responsible for the circumstances of his/her conception, but the self defense criteria do seem to logically apply here.

I applaud her and find nothing wrong with her. Babies conceived via rape and incest are just as precious and just as human as those who were planned or are wanted.

I applaud her and find nothing wrong with her. Babies conceived via rape and incest are just as precious and just as human as those who were planned or are wanted.

And rape victims are just as expendable and subhuman as females who aren't raped.

I hope you know that I don't disagree with you on the fact that babies conceived via rape and or incest are 'precious,' Digs.

Whether or not an abortion can be justified in those cases, however,.... is an entirely different matter.

Last edited:
And rape victims are just as expendable and subhuman as females who aren't raped.
No, rape victims don't have the right to murder life due to its conception. I never said that rape victims are expendable and subhuman females, I just don't believe they have the right to murder an unborn child conceived through rape or incest.

No, rape victims don't have the right to murder life due to its conception. I never said that rape victims are expendable and subhuman females, I just don't believe they have the right to murder an unborn child conceived through rape or incest.

For the record, I don't think a raped woman has the right to 'murder' the child she is carrying either,.. Digs.

But then,... if the abortion is justified (as in cases for self defense/ life of the mother),.... it's not tantamount to 'murder' anyway.

Agree?

I agree with you, but like Chuz, I feel this is one of the very few exceptions where the self defense logic comes into play. My approach to the pro-life stance is that of elevating the value of humanity across the board, so this point is a hard one for me. I don't beleive in an eye for an eye, and don't feel the abortion in this case stems from revenge. I do believe in self defense, though, and grapple with the "unwitting endangerment" aspect of it where it applies to an innocent victim (the mother) being endangered physically or psychologically by an unwitting perpetrator (the child).

I see the possibility of justification. The woman in this case had absolutely no say in the matter and the psychological damage resulting from carrying the resultant pregnancy to term could be traumatic. Of course, the child in question is not in any way responsible for the circumstances of his/her conception, but the self defense criteria do seem to logically apply here.
Let me see if I understand this right. You have no problem applying self defense argument for a fetus conceived by rape even though the fetus was not the perpetrator and self defense applies only when an act of aggression that can result is serious injury or death, is in progress and only against the assailant?

What line of reasoning brought this conclusion?

To whom are they just as precious?

Let me see if I understand this right. You have no problem applying self defense argument for a fetus conceived by rape even though the fetus was not the perpetrator and self defense applies only when an act of aggression that can result is serious injury or death, is in progress and only against the assailant?

What line of reasoning brought this conclusion?

"You have no problem with" is not even close to accurate. I do have a problem with it, hence why I said what I said. I do however recognize the uniquely painful experience that the above mentioned circumstances cause. Which is why earlier is said that this scenario contains "the possibility of justification" under a self defense argument. You took my statement out of context...again.

To the great many of us that value human life. Me, for one.
You have no clue of their existence, how can anything be valuable to you or anyone if you are not aware of its existence?

You have no clue of their existence, how can anything be valuable to you or anyone if you are not aware of its existence?

May I answer this one for you, Mac?

One word.

"principle."

(specifcally as defined by #2)

2. a fundamental, primary, or general law or truth from which others are derived: the principles of modern physics.

Last edited:
May I answer this one for you, Mac?

One word.

"principle."

(specifcally as defined by #2)

2. a fundamental, primary, or general law or truth from which others are derived: the principles of modern physics.

That about sums it up.

Back
Top Bottom