• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Share a goto recipe

Slartibartfast

Jesus loves you.
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
I don't have any but I am curious and hope that you ladies and gentlemen will have a recipe you love to share.

Sausage soup -

Chicken stock
beer
Hot Italian sausage
Bratwurst
Kielbasa and/or Andouille
Cabbage
Red potatoes
sliced onion

Chop up the sausage into bite sized chunks. Dice the potatoes. Boil both in the chicken stock with a little salt, pepper and red pepper until the potatoes start to soften up (Bring everything up to a boil and then set to simmer). Chop up the cabbage and add that along with the onions and a bottle or two of beer (dark beer works better). Ladle into bowls and top with shredded cheddar cheese.

Last edited:
Sausage soup -

Chicken stock
beer
Hot Italian sausage
Bratwurst
Kielbasa and/or Andouille
Cabbage
Red potatoes
sliced onion

Chop up the sausage into bite sized chunks. Dice the potatoes. Boil both in the chicken stock with a little salt, pepper and red pepper until the potatoes start to soften up Bring everything up to a boil and then set to simmer). Chop up the cabbage and add that along with the onions and a bottle or two of beer (dark beer works better). Ladle into bowls and top with shredded cheddar cheese.

OMG, that has to violate some sort of gas ordinance! :shock:

Well, I love to cook, but I really don't like to cook for just me, so I will often cook things that keep well in the fridge, and that I can use for multiple meals. A good one (imo) is shredded chicken taco meat, which can be used for tacos, sandwiches, soups, or other chicken dishes. I also like to make taco stew, because it has so many different ingredients in it, that it's essentially a healthy meal all in one dish, and I will usually eat it with tortilla chips or with soft corn tortillas.

Shredded chicken tacos

4 boneless breasts
1/2 medium onion, sliced
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tsp salt
water

Place above ingredients in large pan with enough water to cover, and boil for approx 1 hour, then remove chicken to cool.

2 tbsp butter
1 clove garlilc, minced
1/2 med onion, chopped
1 med tomato, chipped
1/2 bell pepper, chopped
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp marjoram
1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
Saute above ingredients together for about 10 minutes, then place shredded chicken and stir fry for 1-2 minutes.
Add
2 tbsp tomato sauce
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup chicken broth
Cook and stir on low for 4-5 minutes.

Taco Stew

1-2# ground beef
1 onion- diced
1/2 bell pepper- diced
1 tsp minced garlic
2 cans rotel
1 can tomato sauce
1 pkg Hidden Valley dressing mix
2 packages McCormick taco seasoning
1 can red beans (or black beans)
1 can ranch style beans
1 can green beans
1 can corn
1 can hominy

cook hamburger, then add everything into a crockpot and cook on high until simmering, then simmer for 45 min to an hour. You can change the canned ingredients to suit your taste, and I only use one package of taco seasoning, rather than two.

OMG, that has to violate some sort of gas ordinance! :shock:

Yeah....it's probably a violation of some EPA code but it's tasty as hell!! I actually picked it up from an old CMSgt I worked with in Puerto Rico. The guy was off the boat german and pickled as a damned herring but his soup rocked!

Easy chicken tacos:

In a crock pot, put in your chicken [I use boneless, skinless breasts, but bone in and dark meat work just as well] along with 1 can of Rotel, and enough chicken stock to cover the chicken. Add chili powder, minced garlic [to taste 2-4 cloves], diced onion, ground cumin, salt and pepper and the juice of 1-2 limes. Set the crockpot to low for 6-8 hours. About an hour before the crockpot is done, add a couple of tablespoons of minced cilantro.

The chicken will just fall apart. I shred it and put it back in the broth, then serve with corn tortillas. Super juicy and flavorful.

Oh, my favorite potluck dish is spinach artichoke dip:

1 jar of alfredo sauce (I like Bertolli)
1 10oz box of frozen spinach, thawed and drained
2c shredded mozzarella
1c shredded parmesan
1 jar marinated artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
2-3 cloves of garlic, roasted and minced (raw is fine, but I like roasting mine until soft for a little extra flavor)
1 8oz block of cream cheese, cut into 1in cubes

Mix everything into an 8x8 casserole dish [I usually buy the foil ones at the store, so I don't have to remember the dish].
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Cover the dish with foil and bake about 30-40 mins (until the cream cheese is fully melted and the dip is smooth)
Uncover and bake for 6-8 mins until the edges are bubbly and slightly brown.

Serve warm with tortilla chips.

barley+cut up smoked sausage+tomato sauce+mustard powder++soy sauce+whatever else I feel like throwing in stew.

I have been regularly making this since I first heard about it.

Dinner Tonight: Pasta with Onion, Bacon, and Tomato (Pasta All'Amatriciana) | Serious Eats : Recipes

One 28-ounce can plum tomatoes You can use other kinds of canned tomatoes,I usually use petite diced tomatoes.
½ teaspoon kosher salt, plus a tablespoon for the pasta
¾ pound yellow onions, sliced ⅓-inch thick (about 4 cups)
4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
4 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
6 ounces bacon, chopped If you really love bacon add as much as you want.
½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 pound spaghetti or bucatini
1 cup grated Pecorino Romano You can substitute with Parmesan or Parmigiano-Reggiano

Procedures

Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add a tablespoon of salt.

Drain the tomatoes in a colander, saving all the juice. Roughly chop the tomatoes into ½-inch squares. Set aside.

Pour ½ cup water into a heavy-bottomed 12-inch stainless steel skillet over medium-high heat. Add the sliced onions. Cook, stirring often, until onions have softened, and water has nearly evaporated.

Add olive oil, garlic, and ¼ teaspoon of salt to the skillet. Stir occasionally, and cook until onions and garlic are sizzling, about 2 minutes.

Move onions and garlic to the side of the skillet to clear a space for the bacon. Add the bacon and cook until they start to render their fat, and then stir with the onions. Add the red pepper flakes, stir well, and let everything cook until bacon is crisp and onions are golden, about 5 minutes.

Add the chopped tomatoes and the reserved juice, along with a cup of water. Season with ¼ teaspoon salt, and stir well. Turn heat to high and bring to a boil, and then turn to medium-low. Simmer sauce, adjusting the heat to make sure it doesn’t boil, until it thickens, about 20 minutes.

With about ten minutes left, add pasta to the boiling water. Cook according to the directions on the box. When it is al dente, remove pasta with a pair of tongs and transfer it to the skillet with the sauce. Toss over medium heat until pasta is coated in the sauce. Add 1/4 cup of the water from the pasta pot if sauce is too dry.

Turn off the heat, and add grated cheese. Divide pasta between the plates and serve.

A 4 year old can make this and it is great warmed up
Brown one pound or more of ground beef lean.
Drain the fat.
Put it in to a 8X8 baking dish
Dump two cans of cut geen beans (drained) mixed with one can of tomatoe soup and salt & pepper on top.
Pour about four cups of mashed potatos on top of the beans and spread some melted butter over the potatos.
Cover and bake at 350 for 30 minutes.
Good and cheap and easy.

I'm on a business trip, and my recipes are all at home (and I don't have most of them memorized). So I'll go with a drink recipe. My favorite thing to drink in the summer, the classic Mojito. You'll need a muddler to make it properly.

1 oz lime juice
1 oz simple syrup
2 oz light rum
6-8 mint leaves
crushed ice
club soda or carbonated water

In a highball glass, put the mint leaves, the lime juice, and the simple syrup. Using the muddler, crush the mint leaves against the bottom of the glass 3 or 4 times so they're nice and bruised. Add the rum and some crushed ice, then top off with club soda and stir a little bit.

Back
Top Bottom