• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Sexism in politics

:roll: please. i'm not going to ignore reality in order to be PC. women approach life more emotionally than men, of course it is going to color how they approach political brawls.

right.. women are emotional, illogical creates.. We know that. That is why women shouldn't be allowed to vote or run businesses. Don't think logically.. can't be responsible for making important, stressful decisions

When she was first announced, I was quite excited. Then the concerted attacks began, on Bristol, Trig, and other really horrifying things. And some of them came from so-called feminists, who attacked Sarah Palin because she was not pro-abortion.

I staunchly defended her. However, familiarity with her positions and persona has NOT created greater respect (from me, at least). I've realized that while she may be bright in some areas, overall, she is not the kind of person that I could vote for. This has nothing to do with her being a woman, or being so intelligent that she scares me (Condi Rice was a good example of that). Sarah Palin, by and large, is not a very intelligent woman.

And, I'm sorry. I can't vote for someone who isn't as smart as I am for higher office.

As far as her comments as covered by the Wall Street Journal, she's had a year to be schooled by technical advisors. Just because her position is in agreement with the author of an editorial piece does not mean she's a freaking rocket scientist.

She also regularly does stupid stuff like applauding this on her twitter:

Sarah Palin Favorites "Jesus Against Obama" Church Sign | Religion Dispatches

What a freaking maroon. And her religious views are WHACK.

I actually remember Feminists standing up for Palin during a lot of the sexist attacks. Even NOW took her side when she got into with that late show host.. David Letterman, I think it was. I remember seeing a few feminists on TV even defending her and calling attention to the milf and vilf references. There was sexism coming from the left and the right.

They would say it was great she was a woman and was in politics, but it wasn't a secret they didn't support her politics and would say where they thought her politics were wrong.

I read a few feminist blogs when she was running for vip, and I never saw anything attacking her from a sexist POV. They were always careful and encouraged discussion and debate.. I always thought it was interesting how talk show hosts like Lou Dobbs were always attacking feminists for attacking her though. I never saw her attacked personally by a feminist. Some people just hate feminists and don't know wtf feminists are really doing.

Last edited:
I don't know if I am the only one.. but during the McCain Obama election, I thought the most sexist person.. honest to god, from the bottom of my heart, was John McCain.

He was publicly going for the Hillary Clinton voters and it was well known. I live in a swing state and I know a lot of her supporters. The ad space was filled with John McCain ads with Hillary Clinton in them, complimenting him and attacking Obama. McCain would praise Clinton and say she was right, etc. etc. He was trying to get her angered voters to vote for him and not Obama. Then he picked Palin, a woman.

When he picked her I thought ohhhhh god... he picked just because she was a woman, and so did my Hillary supporter friends. He wanted their votes and Palin was even complimenting Hillary in her first stump speeches and in her speech when her selection was announced..

We all thought at that point.. he is going to pull the sexist card out against Obama. He is going to do something and try to paint Obama as a sexist. And then he did it, with that lipstick on a pig comment. I was so PO'ed. There was sexism going on right inside the GOP convention about Palin's hot looks and sex appeal, and it went without condemnation by McCain or the camp.

I also wondered, why Palin and not another woman like Hutchinson or Snowe? When all the controversy started about how smart she was, how stupid she was.. I thought, maybe she was a good choice. Perhaps she can win him the election... but then as the election went on, I thought she wasn't going to win him the election. I started to think she didn't know much. Then I started thinking the only reason McCain picked her over any other republican woman, was because of her looks.

But the bottom line is.. I thought McCain was just crying sexism for political gain. He accused Obama of playing the race card, so it was the next thing for him to do. He called Obama sexist and even Huckabee said the lipstick on a pig thing was overboard. McCain didn't appear to have vetted Palin..

I am certain he chose her because of her gender and I wouldn't be surprised if he also chose her because of her looks, and his campaign's management of her and handling the sexism in the camp made me mad at him.. I thought he appeared to be truly sexist.

Last edited:
BTW.. could you imagine if there was a liberal candidate like Sarah Palin..

I could see Limbaugh on the attack that she was a selfish, feminist, liberal woman who didn't care about her children.. But on the other hand, I know for a fact that I have heard righties attack Liberal women and mothers. I heard somebody compliment Palin and then turn around and bash liberal women for killing their children.. How dare those sexist a**holes attack her.. btw all the other women are baby killin sluts

I remember when Bill Heffernan described (then) deputy Opposition Leader Gillard as 'deliberately barren'. That was certainly something that got a hostile reaction. Fast forward to the 2010 election and her gender (as now Prime Minister) was never an issue, which was a nice thing. Pity the campaign itself was one of the most shallow, pitiful things I have seen in a long time.

Last edited:
I am certain he chose her because of her gender and I wouldn't be surprised if he also chose her because of her looks

And that isn't sexist?

In fact Sarah Palin had more direct exoerience and better quailifications than either BHO or Hillary Clinton.

I disagree with all of this, even the beautiful part.
Also wanted to take the chance to remind people

Part 1 of Sarah Palin's Alaska starts in a couple hours, on TLC
I'm sure you liberals are thankful for the reminder.:mrgreen:
Dang, all that woman cares about is money and getting her face on television.:lamo

i'm so excited.

Gawker ran an article putting Christine O'Donnell on blast for the fact that she allegedly got drunk and spent the night with some guy she had never met (despite the fact that they didn't even bang).

I don't think there's ever been a single male politician who was criticized for getting drunk and (not) hooking up with a single female.

when politicians make their religious views a point of pride, and part and parcel of their public persona, they open themselves to that type of criticism.

when politicians make their religious views a point of pride, and part and parcel of their public persona, they open themselves to that type of criticism.

In what religion is it considered sinful to sleep with (and not even have sex with) someone when you're both adults and not committed to anyone else? I certainly never heard Christine O'Donnell say anything of the sort. :confused:

In any case, why should anyone care? The Gawker story was a nauseatingly sexist smear...and it was against a candidate who was never even relevant in the first place. She lost by 16 points. The whole media obsession with her can basically be summed up as "Hey everyone, you'll never guess what this ditzy airhead did NOW. Bitches be crazy."

Last edited:
In what religion is it considered sinful to sleep with (and not even have sex with) someone when you're both adults and not committed to anyone else? I certainly never heard Christine O'Donnell say anything of the sort. :confused:

In any case, why should anyone care? The Gawker story was a nauseatingly sexist smear...and it was against a candidate who was never even relevant in the first place. She lost by 16 points.

that's was not my point, and i've never even read the story. my point was that she presented herself as some sort of saint, instead of focusing on issues, because clearly she had no grasp of them. thus she leaves herself open for ridiculous criticism, much as palin did, really. i don't CARE about what kind of mom you are, or what religion you are....or how pious you are, unless you make these items paramount. kinda like the moronic republican men who claim to be christians and yet avail themselves of hookers.

And that isn't sexist?

In fact Sarah Palin had more direct exoerience and better quailifications than either BHO or Hillary Clinton.

Yes, giving a woman a job because of her gender or promoting her because of her looks is sexist. Pointing out that it is fact, is not sexist. It was always a central argument in feminism and why women should have equal opportunity to get a job in the work force. Feminist argued that a woman's livelihood was tied directly to her looks and her beauty, because the better looking the woman.. the more likely she was to get a better suitor.

Woman are still promoted and discriminated based on looks. There are so many examples of it in society and even during the McCain Obama election it was noted as a result of Palin's entrance into the political stage, it goes without needing examples. Age discrimination against women and in general is also very real.

I am not saying I am certain Mccain is that sexist or it is the case with Palin, but I feel I have a good reason to believe it because he wanted the Hillary supporters and it was no secret. He also wanted women voters, which was also no secret.

A lot of women were upset and angry, and believed he was so dense that he thought women would vote for him just because there was a woman on the ticket. It's the same as believing blacks only voted for Obama because he is black, when in fact black people always vote for democrats more. If black voters turned out in numbers to vote for a republican, it would have been a different story. One is racist and one is sexist..

Some women thought McCain was playing identity politics and he never said anything about it. He made sexist comments about Chelsea Clinton on top of that... so he appears to be somewhat sexist.

Last edited:

In any case, why should anyone care? The Gawker story was a nauseatingly sexist smear...and it was against a candidate who was never even relevant in the first place. She lost by 16 points. The whole media obsession with her can basically be summed up as "Hey everyone, you'll never guess what this ditzy airhead did NOW. Bitches be crazy."

In what religion is it considered a sin the masturbate? I am not asking to be a smart a** either.. I just think her religious views, like most people's, is a matter of personal convenience.. She can talk about how bad and sinful something as normal and natural as masturbation is, but do a number of other things because that's her beliefs.. but I am the sinner. I don't buy into moral superiority like that. That is exactly what gives religious people a bad name..

This thread is about sexism, not her religion although there is a fine line.. She did what she did. She is a grown woman and women are allowed to make choices. The guy is a douche for writing that article and it is slut shaming at it's finest, which is sexist. I didn't read the article myself, so I don't know how bad it was.. but to act like she lived according to her religious principles and is pure is a whole other debate and face of sexism. Not to mention trying to live sexually pure according to the bible is near impossible and nobody does it today. Many religious judgments do lead to sexist institutions and the expectation of women to pure over men to begin with..

I am like Cats, I gave Sarah the benefit of the doubt, because I thought most of the congress people would actually be smart hell I would have thought that because you'd have to get through an actual college to be a political person in congress. Then she had to open her mouth, and say she thought humans and dinosaurs lived together millions of years ago. Plus the fact she new next to nothing about any about the conflict in the Middle East, nor did she know any supreme court cases other than Roe VS Wade.

In other words, she was portrayed as an idiot because she acted like one. Also any one that is deny that Christen O'Donnell is not ****ed up in the head seriously needs their head examined. :mrgreen:

I don't see why the sexual habits of politicians matter at all. As long as they don't break any laws, they can screw whomever they want. I just care about their ability to lead and their policy decisions. Nothing else is important.

I don't see why the sexual habits of politicians matter at all. As long as they don't break any laws, they can screw whomever they want. I just care about their ability to lead and their policy decisions. Nothing else is important.

They usually wouldn't matter and they shouldn't matter, but people like Christine O Donnell try to tell other people what to do in their own beds behind closed doors. Government and government officials shouldn't be doing that as long as it's consensual sex between two adults..

Last edited:
I am like Cats, I gave Sarah the benefit of the doubt, because I thought most of the congress people would actually be smart hell I would have thought that because you'd have to get through an actual college to be a political person in congress. Then she had to open her mouth, and say she thought humans and dinosaurs lived together millions of years ago. Plus the fact she new next to nothing about any about the conflict in the Middle East, nor did she know any supreme court cases other than Roe VS Wade.

In other words, she was portrayed as an idiot because she acted like one. Also any one that is deny that Christen O'Donnell is not ****ed up in the head seriously needs their head examined. :mrgreen:

I gave her the benefit of the doubt too.. I thought she was a good pick for the GOP ticket at first, because it got people excited and she was good with the base. But the more she talked, the more it appeared she wasn't a good choice and wasn't going to help McCain.

And that isn't sexist?

Why.....because she could see Russia from her house?

LOL... I really don't think she was qualified. She didn't seem ready for the stress of being in national politics and looked, well frankly, stupid with Katie Couric. She didn't debate well and avoided answering questions. I think anybody would have had a bad reaction to that experience in some way, also considering she had lots of personal baggage.. I don't think having that opinion of her is sexist. Calling me sexist for thinking she wasn't qualified is BS. I think McCain was sexist for putting somebody like HER in that situation. If he wanted a little known female, I honestly think he could of found somebody better.

Last edited:
LOL... I really don't think she was qualified. She didn't seem ready for the stress of being in national politics and looked, well frankly, stupid with Katie Couric. She didn't debate well and avoided answering questions. I think anybody would have had a bad reaction to that experience in some way, also considering she had lots of personal baggage.. I don't think having that opinion of her is sexist. Calling me sexist for thinking she wasn't qualified is BS. I think McCain was sexist for putting somebody like HER in that situation. If he wanted a little known female, I honestly think he could of found somebody better.

I know. Why didn't he go for Elizabeth Dole if he wanted to entice Hillary supporters? Everyone saw through his play at identity politics, which is the norm. But when it turned out he didn't vet her he looked very foolish.

Purrrrrrs

i'm so excited.

I personally liked the part in the preview where she had a difficult time saying "I'd rather be out here doing this than....stuck in a boring meeting."
It felt like she was trying too hard to differentiate herself from politics.

Personally, I looked at it like a "promotion series for Alaska brought to you by Sarah Palin". So I couldn't quite understand the "reality tv" bit behind it. I was all for it. Good Americana....well, that is..unless she tries to hard to promote herself.

I personally liked the part in the preview where she had a difficult time saying "I'd rather be out here doing this than....stuck in a boring meeting."
It felt like she was trying too hard to differentiate herself from politics.

Personally, I looked at it like a "promotion series for Alaska brought to you by Sarah Palin". So I couldn't quite understand the "reality tv" bit behind it. I was all for it. Good Americana....well, that is..unless she tries to hard to promote herself.

I'd rather watch shows about Grizzly Bears and the people who interact with them. The Grizzly Man Diaries was a cool show. That dude was a bit out there, but he was in tune with nature and bears.

Purrrrrrs

Well, I probably just came off of a high from some of the episodes of Ken Burn's National Parks documentary this summer. So, let my buzz cool down, bra before you point me to bears.

Well, I probably just came off of a high from some of the episodes of Ken Burn's National Parks documentary this summer. So, let my buzz cool down, bra before you point me to bears.

Maybe spud can introduce koalas as a pseudo-segue.

Purrrrrrs

I know. Why didn't he go for Elizabeth Dole if he wanted to entice Hillary supporters? Everyone saw through his play at identity politics, which is the norm. But when it turned out he didn't vet her he looked very foolish.

Purrrrrrs

ohh Elizabeth Dole.. she would have been so much better in the spotlight and a interesting pick for sure

again. the parody now is the foolishness of those who insist on attributing this quote to her.

Back
Top Bottom