• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Sexism in politics

Palin is a very bright woman and scares the hell out of the Left, which is why they speak of her in such adolescent terms. Of course being a perpetual adolescent is all a part of being a Leftwinger.

I'm going to ask her to go to prom.

How did those women do in their elections though?

:shrug: depended on the individual woman. Nikki Haley is now a governor, Christine ODonnel lost, Kristi Noem is now a Senator, and looking to be part of the GOP leadership...

I think the problem is that even in our modern societies, way too many stereotypes about gender roles still exist and are held by a majority of people. Those are often subtle, but they exist.

That's why people are quick to consider certain traits as positive, when a male displays them, but the very same traits are held against women when they display them. When a male is dominant and decisive, maybe even reckless, that means he is "strong", "tough", just "male". When a woman shows that behavior, she is immediately called a "bitch", because women are supposed to be polite, considerate, lady-like -- or at least not too rude. (Today, boys still play football and get dirty, girls sing and dance -- people frown when girls play rude football or rugby, or when boys learn ballet dancing.) That's generally a problem for women in leading positions: When they play out their authority, people hold it much more easily against her personally, than against males. And for some men, any female who shows authority at all, immediately is a "bitch", no matter how justified she is. (On the plus side, most people forgive females more easily when they show emotions like sadness or shed tears, than they'd forgive men.)

I'm sure all of us, even when we are not aware of that, hold some of these stereotypes in mind, to different degrees. And until it will be considered normal and nobody will frown when boys do ballet dancing, and girls punch each other and play football, we know these stereotypes still exist and do have effect on politics too.

And because these stereotypes and gender role ideas are still existent, they will be exploited in political debate. Of course Palin or Clinton are called "bitches" by their respective opponents, because that's what enough people will buy, although males might be celebrated for the same kind of behavior by many.

Last edited:
Palin is a very bright woman and scares the hell out of the Left, which is why they speak of her in such adolescent terms. Of course being a perpetual adolescent is all a part of being a Leftwinger.
Palin is a beautiful woman and very bright in how she takes advantage of opportunity and promotes herself. But her political knowledge is limited to partisan pandering to far right extremists and that is perhaps why she is scary and not just by the Left but by moderates on the Right as well.

When a male is dominant and decisive, maybe even reckless, that means he is "strong", "tough", just "male". When a woman shows that behavior, she is immediately called a "bitch", because women are supposed to be polite, considerate, lady-like -- or at least not too rude. (Today, boys still play football and get dirty, girls sing and dance -- people frown when girls play rude football or rugby, or when boys learn ballet dancing.) That's generally a problem for women in leading positions: When they play out their authority, people hold it much more easily against her personally, than against males.

I used to work for a female mayor who was considered to be a "bitch" by many. She wasn't, she was a very good mayor and very effective leader, but she didn't smile much in public. She just had a serious face.

It's kind of unfortunate that we want our politicians to look like pretty boys or cheerleaders. That in no way is a reflection of a person's ability to lead or their level of intelligence.

When she was first announced, I was quite excited. Then the concerted attacks began, on Bristol, Trig, and other really horrifying things. And some of them came from so-called feminists, who attacked Sarah Palin because she was not pro-abortion.

I staunchly defended her. However, familiarity with her positions and persona has NOT created greater respect (from me, at least). I've realized that while she may be bright in some areas, overall, she is not the kind of person that I could vote for. This has nothing to do with her being a woman, or being so intelligent that she scares me (Condi Rice was a good example of that). Sarah Palin, by and large, is not a very intelligent woman.

And, I'm sorry. I can't vote for someone who isn't as smart as I am for higher office.

As far as her comments as covered by the Wall Street Journal, she's had a year to be schooled by technical advisors. Just because her position is in agreement with the author of an editorial piece does not mean she's a freaking rocket scientist.

She also regularly does stupid stuff like applauding this on her twitter:

http://www.religiondispatches.org/d..._favorites_"jesus_against_obama"_church_sign/

What a freaking maroon. And her religious views are WHACK.

Last edited:
Yeah, there was two different realms of attacks with Palin.

There were legitimate, and by legitimate I don't mean the attacks were correct but that they were no different than any other attack you'd see on a politician, against her. The religious stuff, the "scandal" stuff with the taxes, the disagreement with her social policies, and to a point even her supposed lack of intelligence.

There were also some that came about that were clearly gender based. Comments concerning her mothering abilities, degrading comments about her looks getting her to where she is, the demonization of her as a woman for not being for some stereotypical "womens rights" issues, etc.

That in and of itself is something that infuriates me and I've gotten into issues with one of the former posters on this board about it. The fact that any woman that doesn't subscribe to the liberal belief of what "women's rights" are is somehow a traitor, someone worthy of ridicule as a woman, someone who hates women, someone who sold out women, etc. I hate that people tell us over and over and over again we must not stereotype, we must let people break out of racial or gender roles.....and then the moment someone acts outside of the NEW stereotype for people breaking out of the OLD stereotype we're told they're selling out women or they're uncle toms or anything else. "Break out of the mold you're forced to live in...and join into the mold WE want you to live in!"

I think though at times with Palin, much like it has become with racial things with black politicians, there's been instances both where they've cried "Sexism!" when its not and there's been times where something may've mildly been motivated by subconsious sexism but there's no real clear way to define it as such.

But I will say this...you don't normally hear media people calling politicians assholes, ********ers, or dumbass. Yet it seems to happen at a far higher ratio with regards to calling female politicians bitches, whores, ditzs, etc.

Yeah, there was two different realms of attacks with Palin.

There were legitimate, and by legitimate I don't mean the attacks were correct but that they were no different than any other attack you'd see on a politician, against her. The religious stuff, the "scandal" stuff with the taxes, the disagreement with her social policies, and to a point even her supposed lack of intelligence.

There were also some that came about that were clearly gender based. Comments concerning her mothering abilities, degrading comments about her looks getting her to where she is, the demonization of her as a woman for not being for some stereotypical "womens rights" issues, etc.

That in and of itself is something that infuriates me and I've gotten into issues with one of the former posters on this board about it. The fact that any woman that doesn't subscribe to the liberal belief of what "women's rights" are is somehow a traitor, someone worthy of ridicule as a woman, someone who hates women, someone who sold out women, etc. I hate that people tell us over and over and over again we must not stereotype, we must let people break out of racial or gender roles.....and then the moment someone acts outside of the NEW stereotype for people breaking out of the OLD stereotype we're told they're selling out women or they're uncle toms or anything else. "Break out of the mold you're forced to live in...and join into the mold WE want you to live in!"

I think though at times with Palin, much like it has become with racial things with black politicians, there's been instances both where they've cried "Sexism!" when its not and there's been times where something may've mildly been motivated by subconsious sexism but there's no real clear way to define it as such.

But I will say this...you don't normally hear media people calling politicians assholes, ********ers, or dumbass. Yet it seems to happen at a far higher ratio with regards to calling female politicians bitches, whores, ditzs, etc.

Here-Here!!!! I'm a Palin fan as long as she doesn't run for the presidency (or vice-presidency). Thought it was ridiculous that she was chosen by McCain as his running mate. Having said that, I thought media did an absolute hatchet job on her. That she's evolved professionally as she has is to her credit. That media attacked her so mercilessly was unforgiveable.

Are we talking about the same Palin here? Are you really propping up a racist, religiously bigoted person who spouts slogans and never actually advocates policy based on facts as a sensible choice for a leader? She's a fundamentalist who advocates a war with Muslim countries. She constantly mistakes or ignores statistics and research that would contradict her positions. She has little knowledge of actual law. And she, like the rest of the tea party, is fighting to protect the interests of business elite (like her friend Rupert Murdoch) over the security and prosperity of the other 99% of this country. And unlike the rest of the tea party, she actually stands to benefit from the policies they advocate.

This has NOTHING to do her gender. Or even really about her intelligence. It has EVERYTHING to do with her ethnocentrism, greed, and dishonesty.

Are you really propping up a racist

How so?

religiously bigoted person

How so? Unless you just consider every reglious person "bigoted"

who spouts slogans and never actually advocates policy based on facts as a sensible choice for a leader?

Where to start on this one.

Whose advocating for her as a leader?

Pretty sure she has advocated policy plenty of times before.

You realize what you just said is a mirror image for the complaints about Obama during the run up to the Presidency?

She's a fundamentalist who advocates a war with Muslim countries.

Bill Clinton advocated a war with a Muslim country as well. That statement in and of itself is worthless. The only way it'd be a questionable would be if you could show she is advocating something like that specifically because their muslims.

She constantly mistakes or ignores statistics and research that would contradict her positions. She has little knowledge of actual law.

And this has what to do with the discussion of sexism in politics?

And she, like the rest of the tea party, is fighting to protect the interests of business elite (like her friend Rupert Murdoch) over the security and prosperity of the other 99% of this country.

Pointless, and incorrect, worthless shot at the Tea Party for no reason and with nothing to do with the topic. Mind staying on point here?

his has NOTHING to do her gender. Or even really about her intelligence. It has EVERYTHING to do with her ethnocentrism, greed, and dishonesty.

Wait...

So the conspiracy theories about her children and grandchildren has to do with her "ethnocentrism, green, and dishonesty" and nothing to do with her gender?

People asking her questions such as whether she thinks she can balance being a mother and a politician has nothing to do with her Gender?

People suggesting she's selling out women because she doesn't support their definition of "womens rights" has nothing to do with Gender?

People using the word "ditz" or "ditzy" to describe her intelligence would have nothing to do with Gender? People saying she'd not be where she is in politics if not for her looks has nothing to do with her Gender? People insinuating she's was a "bitch" because she was aggressive in the campaign would have nothing to do with her Gender?

Not to mention this thread isn't specifically about Palin at all. The use of "Whore" to describe Meg Whitman happened 100% for reasons that had nothing to do with her sex? A media person calling Sharon Angle a "bitch" would've said the same thing about a male politician?

Seriously, do you actually realize or understand what the topic of this thread is, or is it just an inconvience to you to stop you from taking broad pot shots at Palin for no apparent reason?

That in and of itself is something that infuriates me and I've gotten into issues with one of the former posters on this board about it.

It pissed me off, as well. Frankly, I'm not a feminist so I can kowtow to a replacement party line of what women should do and think and feel and vote. That kind of dogmatism IS NOT feminism.

And the worst attacks on Palin, on her mothering, her children, her self, came from supposed feminists.

I call foul on that.

As I get older, bitch starts to sound more and more like a compliment to me.

All I know is that people weren't asking, "Is she too feminine?" or "Is she feminine enough?"

Purrrrs

Palin is a beautiful woman and very bright in how she takes advantage of opportunity and promotes herself. But her political knowledge is limited to partisan pandering to far right extremists

Wall Street Journal. Not far right extremist. :)

...The former Alaskan Governor showed sound political and economic instincts by inveighing forcefully against the Federal Reserve's latest round of quantitative easing. According to the prepared text of remarks that she released to National Review online, Mrs. Palin also exhibited a more sophisticated knowledge of monetary policy than any major Republican this side of Wisconsin Representative Paul Ryan... Misguided monetary policy can ruin an Administration as thoroughly as higher taxes and destructive regulation, and the new GOP majority in the House and especially the next GOP President need to be alert to the dangers. Mrs. Palin is way ahead of her potential Presidential competitors on this policy point, and she shows a talent for putting a technical subject in language that average Americans can understand...

Are we talking about the same Palin here? Are you really propping up a racist, religiously bigoted person who spouts slogans and never actually advocates policy based on facts as a sensible choice for a leader? She's a fundamentalist who advocates a war with Muslim countries. She constantly mistakes or ignores statistics and research that would contradict her positions. She has little knowledge of actual law. And she, like the rest of the tea party, is fighting to protect the interests of business elite (like her friend Rupert Murdoch) over the security and prosperity of the other 99% of this country. And unlike the rest of the tea party, she actually stands to benefit from the policies they advocate.

This has NOTHING to do her gender. Or even really about her intelligence. It has EVERYTHING to do with her ethnocentrism, greed, and dishonesty.

I would just like to say that I find it completely unsurprising that you hail from Washington DC.

Wall Street Journal. Not far right extremist. :)

...The former Alaskan Governor showed sound political and economic instincts by inveighing forcefully against the Federal Reserve's latest round of quantitative easing. According to the prepared text of remarks that she released to National Review online, Mrs. Palin also exhibited a more sophisticated knowledge of monetary policy than any major Republican this side of Wisconsin Representative Paul Ryan... Misguided monetary policy can ruin an Administration as thoroughly as higher taxes and destructive regulation, and the new GOP majority in the House and especially the next GOP President need to be alert to the dangers. Mrs. Palin is way ahead of her potential Presidential competitors on this policy point, and she shows a talent for putting a technical subject in language that average Americans can understand...

Who wrote that opinion article?

Purrrrs

Palin is a beautiful woman and very bright in how she takes advantage of opportunity and promotes herself. But her political knowledge is limited to partisan pandering to far right extremists and that is perhaps why she is scary and not just by the Left but by moderates on the Right as well.

If you find her "scary" why not use some in-context quotes to explain why you feel this way?

Just calling her "scary" (as well as using terms such as "partisan pandering" and "far right extremists") does lend to the debate or touch on any of the genuine issues. It's just the usual hyperbole.

Last edited:
When she was first announced, I was quite excited. Then the concerted attacks began, on Bristol, Trig, and other really horrifying things. And some of them came from so-called feminists, who attacked Sarah Palin because she was not pro-abortion.

I staunchly defended her. However, familiarity with her positions and persona has NOT created greater respect (from me, at least). I've realized that while she may be bright in some areas, overall, she is not the kind of person that I could vote for. This has nothing to do with her being a woman, or being so intelligent that she scares me (Condi Rice was a good example of that). Sarah Palin, by and large, is not a very intelligent woman.

And, I'm sorry. I can't vote for someone who isn't as smart as I am for higher office.

As far as her comments as covered by the Wall Street Journal, she's had a year to be schooled by technical advisors. Just because her position is in agreement with the author of an editorial piece does not mean she's a freaking rocket scientist.

She also regularly does stupid stuff like applauding this on her twitter:

Sarah Palin Favorites "Jesus Against Obama" Church Sign | Religion Dispatches

What a freaking maroon. And her religious views are WHACK.

This is what she said in response to that "favorites" claim.

“Jake, I've never purposefully ‘favorited’ any Tweet. I had to go back to my BlackBerry to even see if such a function was possible. I was traveling to Alaska that day...it was an obvious accidental ‘favoriting,’ but no one can mistake that Ann Coulter was obviously being tongue in cheek with that Tweet. Shall I correct this with whichever wonderful media outlet ran with this (an obviously bored reporter...since there must be nothing going on in the world today, like, um, ramifications of a shake up of power in the U.S. House of Representatives?).”

Given the circumstances, and the way she and her family have been targetted by the unscupulous Left, I'd certainly give her any benefit of the doubt.

If you find her "scary" why not use some in-context quotes to explain why you feel this way?

Just calling her "scary" (as well as using terms such as "partisan pandering" and "far right extremists") does lend to the debate or touch on any of the genuine issues. It's just the usual hyperbole.
Well, that pretty much describes what comes out Palin's mouth and the kind of followers she attracts. Thanks for proving my point.

Well, that pretty much describes what comes out Palin's mouth and the kind of followers she attracts. Thanks for proving my point.

You proved the point that she was "scary"?? How?

Why duck and run?

You proved the point that she was "scary"?? How?

Why duck and run?
I don't really think she's scary. But I do think some of her followers probably are.

I don't really think she's scary. But I do think some of her followers probably are.

I don't think she's scary, and I don't think that her followers are scary. I just think they aren't very bright. However, a not-very-bright herd of cattle can still trample you during a stampede.

I don't think she's scary, and I don't think that her followers are scary. I just think they aren't very bright. However, a not-very-bright herd of cattle can still trample you during a stampede.

yes; we call those people the 2008 electorate.

But you said "and that is perhaps why she is scary and not just by the Left but by moderates on the Right as well".

Now it's her followers who are "scary".

Why is that? That they want a balanced budget? That they feel there is too much debt?

Woooooo!! Scary stuff!

But you said "and that is perhaps why she is scary and not just by the Left but by moderates on the Right as well".

Now it's her followers who are "scary".

Why is that? That they want a balanced budget? That they feel there is too much debt?

Woooooo!! Scary stuff!
What, you want me to admit she's an idiot? Alright, alright, I admit it, Palin is an idiot. There now, you happy? Idiots do not scare me. THEY ANNOY ME!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom