• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Sex, Handwriting, and Evolution.

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Sex as in male or female, not as in sexual intercourse.

Why does it seem as if girls tend to have better handwriting than guys? Is this just a generalization? I don't think so. I've noticed that when looking at girls' handwriting and boys' handwriting, girls tend to be neater and their letters more curved, while boys tend to have more angular writing that's harder to read.

Is this something psychological? Does it have something to do with females being more focused about details? Is it physical? Do girls in general have better fine motor skills than boys? What about curved vs. angular? Does this indicate a difference in the way males and females think and perceive the world?

And what part does evolution play in this?

Girls are taught that neatness matters to a greater extent than boys are. They're also taught to value presentation and creative expression. It's a cultural trait, not a biological one.

I have noticed that as well. It doesn’t always hold true but I can usually tell the sex of the person who wrote something. I don’t think it has anything to do with evolution, though. I just think girls get more cultural motivation to “write pretty”. Nobody cares when a guy has messy handwriting. A girl with messy handwriting is probably more likely to be teased about it when young so she tries harder to write prettier.

That’s my guess, anyway.

Why does it seem as if girls tend to have better handwriting than guys? Is this just a generalization? I don't think so. I've noticed that when looking at girls' handwriting and boys' handwriting, girls tend to be neater and their letters more curved, while boys tend to have more angular writing that's harder to read.

Is this something psychological? Does it have something to do with females being more focused about details? Is it physical? Do girls in general have better fine motor skills than boys? What about curved vs. angular? Does this indicate a difference in the way males and females think and perceive the world?

Yes, I too have noticed girls tend to be neater & more curved!

Handwriting? Who writes anymore? This conversation is so 20 years ago.

I disagree. Guys can have great and neat handwriting. I used to write neatly but it all started to go down the tubes for he as my illness (Parkinsons) progressed.

I disagree. Guys can have great and neat handwriting. I used to write neatly but it all started to go down the tubes for he as my illness (Parkinsons) progressed.

:( Sorry to read that. Good luck dealing with Parkinsons.

Please don't tell me you think handwriting is the only form of writing.

The thread is obviously referring to handwriting, not printing, texting or typing. Other than signing their name, few people use handwriting anymore. What is the other "form of writing" you are referring to?

Tf is that?

The thread is obviously referring to handwriting, not printing, texting or typing. Other than signing their name, few people use handwriting anymore. What is the other "form of writing" you are referring to?

Umm there is still alot of handwriting in college....

I think the question is, which part of his comment are you referring to with the "TF is that?" Do you not know what Parkinson's is, or do you not agree that men can have neat handwriting?

I think the question is, which part of his comment are you referring to with the "TF is that?" Do you not know what Parkinson's is, or do you not agree that men can have neat handwriting?
I have no idea what Parkisons was, wich is why I asked. I dont see how the confusion started...

Speaking from a teacher's perspective, girls are generally more calm, organized and neater than boys. They tend to pay attention more in class which is why at the lower elementary level it's usually girls at the top of the class and boys who are struggling. They generally care more about their schoolwork - including how they write.

For adults, I just find that more women like how neater handwriting looks and guys just don't really care how it looks. That being said, I've known guys who have beautiful handwriting and girls with sloppy handwriting. Myself, I used to have very neat, beautiful handwriting all of the time. Now I don't really put much care into my signature, but I do write neatly when I'm making my To Do lists. I'd have to start all over if it wasn't neat.

There are always exceptions to the generalized "rule" no matter the age, though.

I assumed you were MUCH younger since you've never heard of Parkinson's Disease.

Ummm..... im athletic. Never get sick. Not even allergies, so why the hell should I know about a disease ive never experienced?

Ummm..... im athletic. Never get sick. Not even allergies, so why the hell should I know about a disease ive never experienced?

So...... your depth of knowledge ends at things you have experienced personally? Wow.

This is a moot point, since many public schools no longer bother to teach cursive.

Back
Top Bottom