• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

sex education should be taught at 8

mikhail

blond bombshell
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
I know this will upset people but anyone who thinks a child hasnt noticed it has genitals by the time they start there normal age of sexual education is sadly mistaken.

and dont forget most sexual education isnt about actually having sex many girls start their periods from the age of 8 and are unaware what is happening to them. Fact is many parents are unable to talk to their children about sex and in the long term earlier education has been proven to lower the spread of sti's and unwanted pregnancy.

it basically comes down to if you think cosmo should teach your child or a qulified teacher.

People bang on about how the act of teaching a child sex education takes away their innocence yet teaching abstinence is good for them. Of course abstinence can work but it works by telling kids their going to burn in hell if they have sex before marriage (as if marriage is as old as the human race itself).And children who do have sex after being taught this will be completely without knowledge on the subject and feel very guilty.

Fact is with proper education doesent make children have sex earlier however it can insure that when they do they will more likely to choose who with and when they want children, knowledge of the dangers of sexual diseases , better at talking to their own children about sex and more than likely more sexually competent.

mikhail said:
and dont forget most sexual education isnt about actually having sex many girls start their periods from the age of 8 and are unaware what is happening to them.

you'd be amazed how much a person can miss, even in a school district that does teach sex ed. mine taught it from grade 3. one of my friends didnt know what menstruation is, until I told him when he was 18.

Sex ed should be taught by parents however I don't see a problem with schools teaching age appropriate sex ed at various levels. If a preschool teacher talks about modesty and why you have to wear clothes and keep your hands out of your pants during circle time that's completely appropriate.:rofl I think having a sex ed class for 8 yr olds could be appropriate but it definitely shouldn't be the same type of sex ed class you'd find in jr. high.

talloulou said:
Sex ed should be taught by parents however I don't see a problem with schools teaching age appropriate sex ed at various levels. If a preschool teacher talks about modesty and why you have to wear clothes and keep your hands out of your pants during circle time that's completely appropriate.:rofl I think having a sex ed class for 8 yr olds could be appropriate but it definitely shouldn't be the same type of sex ed class you'd find in jr. high.

I agree and ideally the school's sex education would spur more conversation at home.......open doors for discussion, bring up questions a child may have etc.

My children are home educated, so I can't claim to have experience with our local public schools in this area, but most of the *complaints* I've heard are when they get into sexual politics or sexual passion type issues...........as in most parents don't have a problem with the biology aspects being frankly discussed, but they do have problems with things outside the basic function of human sexuality. They start squirming over talk of birth control, STD's, alternative orientations to heterosexuality and tolerance of essentially any variation to what they perceive as the norm..........which, for many of them, include the topic of abstinence. They don't like any of those side issues being taught in schools, but seem to have little problem with sexuality discussed in a strictly physiological way.

I tend to believe human sexuality includes all sorts of side topics, but maybe I'd find fault if I had kiddos in the public school system too.........not sure.

If I had to choose between tax dollars going to sex education or just cutting taxes and it going to my pocket, I would choose the latter. It ain't worth the taxes, and that's my bottom line.

If you REALLY want sex ed. to be taught in schools, I suggest you get them to teach math, science, and history first...

When that ever happens, then we'll talk...

I don't see why we don't just partially privatize the system and let the DANG SCHOOLS TEACH WHAT THEY WANT instead of sitting around debating about what sort of standardized curriculum we should have.

cnredd said:
If you REALLY want sex ed. to be taught in schools, I suggest you get them to teach math, science, and history first...

Yes that's a very good point!:rofl

The topic of what school should teach is directly dependant on the topic of what nearly everybody in this country should know by certain ages. If you want the majority of americans to know about sex, then you have to teach it to them. You don't expect the parents to teach their kids about multiplication, but you expect people to know how to do it. Primary school is for necessary education.

Axismaster said:
If I had to choose between tax dollars going to sex education or just cutting taxes and it going to my pocket, I would choose the latter. It ain't worth the taxes, and that's my bottom line.

If that's your bottom line, then let's examine this more closely:

1. Sex education reduces the teen pregnancy rate.
2. Teen pregnancies are almost always unwanted, and more often than not occur among the...shall we say, "lower end" of the gene pool.
3. Children from such pregnancies are more likely to grow up in poverty and more likely to become teenage parents themselves.
4. Children who grow up in poverty are a drain on your tax dollars.

So it seems to me that sex education is well worth the taxes spent on it.

shuku said:
The topic of what school should teach is directly dependant on the topic of what nearly everybody in this country should know by certain ages. If you want the majority of americans to know about sex, then you have to teach it to them. You don't expect the parents to teach their kids about multiplication, but you expect people to know how to do it. Primary school is for necessary education.

Then please explain teaching ebonics in school?

Donkey1499 said:
Ebonics is just a slang form of American (Red Neck or Southern Drawl, also) which is within itself a slang form of English.

Which is not needed to survive in todays society, nor is it something anyone needs to know or should be taught.. Yet it is in some schools

shuku said:
I've never heard of ebonics being taught outside of parodies.

Take a look at Oakland

Calm2Chaos said:
Which is not needed to survive in todays society, nor is it something anyone needs to know or should be taught.. Yet it is in some schools

Where is it being taught? It was never taught at any school I went to.

Donkey1499 said:
Sex Ed should be taught by THE PARENTS, not the schools.

Yes, that's if the parents aren't shy about it. I think it is a crime not teaching kids about sex. I think a child should not be ignorant on the pleasure he can receive from certain body parts.

cnredd said:

Exactly. And this goes right back to sex ed should be taught by the parents. Sure, the reproductive science should be taught in school...by teaching science. The morality and personal/family value choices concerning sexual interaction should be taught by the parents... at home...and in an appropriately chosen situation determined by those who have the right to judge the child's maturity...the parents.

Last edited:
kal-el said:
Yes, that's if the parents aren't shy about it. I think it is a crime not teaching kids about sex. I think a child should not be ignorant on the pleasure he can receive from certain body parts.

Dude, rock on!!! :rock

I do think you need a qualifier, though. Expression of that pleasure should be taught within the boundaries of the values of the parents. Of course, I also believe that sexual conduct should not be an avoided topic of conversation after an age appropriate level. If parents have not taught their children about sexual interaction by the accepted age of reproductive maturity, then they are just giving acquiesence to their children being taught by external authorities, like the public school system.

They teach childrens about drugs and alcohol in school, about the dangers and how to avoid them. Does anyone have a problem with that? No. So teach kids (of appropriate age) about sex, and how to best protect themselves from harm that may result from it.

If only we could rely on teenagers being smart enough, like me, to find out everything they can about STDs, contraceptives and the like. Unfortunately, we can't - most teens, at best, are ignorant. I've heard smart kids think they can't possibly fall pregnant if they have unprotected sex during their period (it's possible), and known them to be totally unaware that antibiotics can stuff up the Pill. Most of the time they forget STDs even exist - so long as pregnancy isn't a concern, they forget about condoms. :doh

In 10th grade, I was practically famous for being seemingly the only kid with enough guts to buy condoms from the chemist for her friends - dozens of kids gave me the money to buy them a packet. If I hadn't been happy to do it, they wouldn't have got any. It makes me cringe just thinking about what could've happened otherwise.

Whatever reduces the teen pregnancy rate is a good thing. But if people are fine with more abortion, more single, drop-out teen moms and a burden on the welfare system, then by all means cut sex-ed.

steen said:
Whatever reduces the teen pregnancy rate is a good thing. But if people are fine with more abortion, more single, drop-out teen moms and a burden on the welfare system, then by all means cut sex-ed.

Last I checked the "8" in the title does not equal "teen"...

cnredd said:
Last I checked the "8" in the title does not equal "teen"...
Well, you are right. But if you wait until teen years, then you are getting in trouble per the early sexually-active, and also do foster an environment of avoidance and mebarassment regarding sexuality.

steen said:
Well, you are right. But if you wait until teen years, then you are getting in trouble per the early sexually-active, and also do foster an environment of avoidance and mebarassment regarding sexuality.

10 sounds like a reasonable age. 8 is just too young in my book.

Back
Top Bottom