• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Sex Ed.

shakenbake19 said:
I don't think it is the school's responsibility at all. I think Sex Ed, is a bad idea, because i went through it, we had a feminist teacher who said that sex is a horrible thing to do,
Etc. I fail to see where that made her a feminist? Sure sounds more like what a fundamentalist rightwing ANTI-FEMINIST nutcase would say.

That is an example of a bad opinion of sex.
Which is why it is important to teach GOOD sex-ed. Correct, accurate, thorough.

shakenbake19 said:
Discouraging it would almost be bad, because kids would do it just to break the rules.
Agreed. If we try to lie or deceive kids, they will know and have sex just to spite us.

steen said:
Etc. I fail to see where that made her a feminist? Sure sounds more like what a fundamentalist rightwing ANTI-FEMINIST nutcase would say.

Which is why it is important to teach GOOD sex-ed. Correct, accurate, thorough.

well, did you have sex ed with her? no. Whta made her a feminist was the facts that, though not direct, she was basically stating that girls can do whatever they want, but guys have to watch themselves because we have the male genatalia. There are a lot of things that made her a feminist, too any to recall (it was 8 years ago when i had sex ed.)

shakenbake19 said:
well, did you have sex ed with her? no.
But I DID read your remark, and it sure didn't make any sense.
Whta made her a feminist was the facts that, though not direct, she was basically stating that girls can do whatever they want, but guys have to watch themselves because we have the male genatalia.
That doesn't make her a feminist. Why do you make that nonsense claim?
There are a lot of things that made her a feminist, too any to recall (it was 8 years ago when i had sex ed.)
Really? So far, the examples you have used as 'evidence' is in no way showing her to be a feminist. If all your evidence is like that, then your claim is flat-out false.

Gandhi>Bush said:
I'm not suggesting demonizing the act of sex. I'm just saying handing out condoms at school to children and then expecting them to make an intelligent decision.

I tend to agree with your POV
but some how I see the evangelists america's ruling class religion
over rulling anything that isn't victorian in origin

i would say they should take until the border..but not cross it:cool:

I believe sex education should be optional in the 7th grade contingent on parental consent. It should cover the basic biology of reproduction and should teach abstinence only. Upon reaching the 10th grade, it should be a mandatory class lasting for 4 weeks, no longer optional and no longer requiring parental consent. If a parent has not had the "talk" with his/her children by this time, it is time to stand back and let a trained professional do it for them. Sex ed at this point should candidly and maturely cover not only reproduction, but it should also cover sexuality. Birth control methods should be taught in an honest fashion and proper condom use should be covered. There is no reason to not arm young adults with the knowledge they need to not get themselves in trouble later. If Americans took a mature attitude toward sex, sexuality, and sex education, then perhaps our young adults would begin making more mature decisions about their own sexual practices.

At 10th grade, 50% +/- of teens have already had sex regardless of how much you push abstinence. If you wait that long, then people's moral hickups will end up killing teens.

And don't forget that the Waxman reporty documented that nearly all of the Abstinence-only programs were telling the kids outright lies. Kids know when they are lied to and will ignore the info.

steen said:
At 10th grade, 50% +/- of teens have already had sex regardless of how much you push abstinence. If you wait that long, then people's moral hickups will end up killing teens.

And don't forget that the Waxman reporty documented that nearly all of the Abstinence-only programs were telling the kids outright lies. Kids know when they are lied to and will ignore the info.

Yeah, I'm going to have to agree with that. I had sex before tenth grade...and I was one of the last in my circle of friends. I think 10th grade is a little late to be teaching.

There's nothing wrong with giving kids condoms. Children will have sex; the most moral thing to do is teach them how to do two things:

A. Do it properly
B. Do it safely.

Superior consequences in the end make for the moral solution.

Whether they're doing it or not, is it okay that teenagers are having sex before the tenth grade? Do you feel as if it's okay to condone that?

Gandhi>Bush said:
Whether they're doing it or not, is it okay that teenagers are having sex before the tenth grade? Do you feel as if it's okay to condone that?
It has nothing to do with "OK" or condoning. Ithas to do with the reality that WHEN kids have sex, if they don't know to use condoms etc., they end up dying. The issue of when to have sex etc., that's an issue of morality and is the purvey of the p[arents. The School can't instil a moral point like that in the kids; that's a matter of whether the parents did their job 10 years earlier.

The ONLY thing that matters is whether you want dead kids or live teens.

steen said:
It has nothing to do with "OK" or condoning.

When it comes down to whether or not we're passing out condoms to teens under the age of 15 while they're in school, I think it has everything to do with condoning it.

It has to do with the reality that WHEN kids have sex, if they don't know to use condoms etc., they end up dying.

Wow. Need to know information: http://webster.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=hyperbole

The issue of when to have sex etc., that's an issue of morality and is the purvey of the p[arents. The School can't instil a moral point like that in the kids; that's a matter of whether the parents did their job 10 years earlier.

The school's job isn't about morality, but it's also not about going over the parents head on it either. I do believe that the school does have a ethical duty to instill responsibility in it's students.

The ONLY thing that matters is whether you want dead kids or live teens.

So your position is that ignorant, dead kids are better than well-educated, live kids, and you therefore advocate lying to them and keeping them ignorant?:roll:

steen said:
So your position is that ignorant, dead kids are better than well-educated, live kids, and you therefore advocate lying to them and keeping them ignorant?:roll:

When I make a post, do you even read it?

I advocate sex ed. I want children to be as responsible and as educated as they can possibly be and then make the decision for themselves. I do not think that giving them condoms in school is a healthy idea to make into a policy in our country. That is where it crosses the line.

Gandhi>Bush said:
When I make a post, do you even read it?

I advocate sex ed. I want children to be as responsible and as educated as they can possibly be and then make the decision for themselves. I do not think that giving them condoms in school is a healthy idea to make into a policy in our country. That is where it crosses the line.
Where should they get the condoms then? Should the parents be responsbile for providing them?

ShullsM said:
Where should they get the condoms then? Should the parents be responsbile for providing them?

That is there parent's decision. It has nothing to do with the school and certainly nothing to do with the government.

er. . .that would be a lil weird.

I'm a teenager and I just buy my condoms. thats right. I just go to a store and buy them. I don't use a condom dispenser or whatever the hell those things are and I definatly definatly wouldn't ask my parents to buy me one. Why shouldn't teenagers be expected to buy condoms like regular people? Unlike what the christian right would have you believe,(most) teenagers are responsible and can think for themselves.

shhh sex is a taboo it must not be talked off

Gandhi>Bush said:
That is there parent's decision. It has nothing to do with the school and certainly nothing to do with the government.

And therin...lies the perfect answer to this whole mess, in my opinion.

Parents need to be...uh....Parents. You know, talk to the kids they let loose in the world. Mold them, form them, teach them......instill in these kids as much information as they can. We used to call it Raising Children. Forced ignorance will only cause grief, and failure in our Kids, and the mentality that withholds valuable, if controversial Data from teens is dangerous.

Gandhi>Bush said:
What are your thoughts of sexual education in schools? How far is too far(if there is such a point)? Birth control etc.?

I think there should be more emphasis on sexual eduation, not just a blurb in the required health class. I think abstinence should be encouraged(maybe a little bit of STD scare tactics :lol: ), but proper use of condoms, etc. should be taught.

Regardless of how proper sex education is taught in schools, kids will get their dose of lurid sex education from the media. There's too much emphasis on sex aimed at kids today, and no wonder they are seeking it before their time, and thinking its cool. When I was at school sex education was cold, discussing it like the act were a machine and then we were shown graphic videos of women giving birth. :2sick1:
Outside of school kids are genrally bombarded with the films and popular stuff all geared towards sex, making vulnerable teenagers seek much of it without really understanding the consequences.

WinterSun said:
Regardless of how proper sex education is taught in schools, kids will get their dose of lurid sex education from the media. There's too much emphasis on sex aimed at kids today, and no wonder they are seeking it before their time, and thinking its cool. When I was at school sex education was cold, discussing it like the act were a machine and then we were shown graphic videos of women giving birth. :2sick1:
Outside of school kids are genrally bombarded with the films and popular stuff all geared towards sex, making vulnerable teenagers seek much of it without really understanding the consequences.

I think it's irrelevant what the media wants to present. Educate the children and give them responsibility. Then let them decide for themselves.

Gandhi>Bush said:
I think it's irrelevant what the media wants to present. Educate the children and give them responsibility. Then let them decide for themselves.

How is it irrelevant when kids are influenced by the media's brainwashing? These kids are not taught responsibility about things like sex anyway.

Sex education as taught in public schools starts too late (at least here in NJ) and is quite clinical, but I suppose it has to be.
The best education starts before they even enter school at all. By giving even the smallest children simple choices, they learn consequences. My mom thought I was a little odd giving 2 year-olds a choice of 2 things to eat or 2 things to wear, but it's a learning process. Now that they are teenagers, choice is second nature and the awareness of consequence is as well. So, by the time sex education has begun with all its information, making a choice is inherent and unconfusing.
I will say though, my daughter has already decided to dispute whatever teacher she has this year for her Family Planning class when they discuss the 'mechanics' of baby-making: she and her twin are 'lab babies'.:mrgreen:

WinterSun said:
Therefore, correct and accurate education is the best tool against making foolish decisions.

Denying the kids this information is to harm them.

Back
Top Bottom