• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Sex Dolls and Pedophelia

From your source:

The goal of treatment, therefore, is to prevent someone from acting on pedophile urges — either by decreasing sexual arousal around children or increasing the ability to manage that arousal.

It doesn't need to be curable. It can be treated and managed. Alcoholism can't be cured either. Should we ban alcoholics from getting driver's licenses in order to make the roads safer?
No, there are no treatments there is no management. What your link described was merely a way of reducing the sexual urge. It does nothing to prevent the predator aspect of grooming a child which is just as harmful to a child as the rape is.

Then Kentucky moved to make possession of child-like sex dolls a felony, which passed the Senate but I can't figure out if it also passed the House:

How do they define "childlike"?

What's next, making it illegal to have sex with a 25 year old who can really pass for 15?

If one fantasizes about having sex with an adolescent while having sex with an adult, should they be arrested? After all, they are simply using another person as a prop. How is that different from using a molded piece of plastic?
Let's make this a little more realistic. Having sex with a legal aged adult because they look underage.

If a peadophile just fantasises and does nothing else then there is no problem. But if they are expressing that fantasy into action through pictures or dolls then it no longer is just fantasy.
As for being arrested if a person reveals they are a peadophile then they should be on a register. There is no other way to do this. Otherwise you are leaving a potential child molester free to do as he pleases.
They are expressing that fantasy into action through an adult, instead of pictures or dolls. Now what?

Hitting a character limit. Managed to get this part down. Working on the first part.

And how do you know they can be managed? Peadophiles must by the nature of peadophilia become liars. There is no reason to place trust with them.
You keep avoiding the main flaw in your argument. Which is that you place your trust in the idea that a peadophie will try and not molest a child. Which is fine except for the fact that if you are wrong then that will, not might, but will cause a child to be molested and/or killed. So how do you justify trusting the word of a peadophile against the safety of a child?
You are still working under the stereotyping of pedophiles.

https://www.psychiatrictimes.com/view/pedophilia-interventions-work said:
“Once a pedophile always a pedophile” is so 30 years ago. The author updates the realities about sex offenders and why psychiatrists should be more optimistic about their patients’ prognoses.

In 2015, the Sexual Behaviours Clinic (SBC) at The Royal Ottawa Mental Health Centre received the Gold Award-the top award given by the American Psychiatric Association for “Best Academic Out-patient Clinical Research Program.” This was due in part to the fact that the SBC has led the way in revolutionizing approaches to change the manner in which sex offenders against children are assessed and treated. In the past 15 years the known hands-on re-offence rate of sex offenders treated in the SBC has fallen to virtually zero.
Unfortunately, much of what psychiatrists know about sex offenders is gleaned from popular public media outlets. News agencies report sex crimes on a daily basis, and so-called experts repeat the mantra: “Once a pedophile always a pedophile.” The truth is that popular media is about 30 years behind where the field is now. In this article I explain some of the realities about sex offenders and why psychiatrists should be more optimistic about their patients’ prognoses.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/conditions/pedophilia said:
Research has disproven the perception that sex offenders are especially prone to recidivism. In reality, recidivism rates for sex offenses are lower than for all other major types of crime, and the U.S. Department of Justice has found that only about 3 percent of child molesters commit another sex crime within three years of being released from prison. Meta-analysis of hundreds of studies confirms that once they are detected, most convicted offenders never sexually reoffend. (Not all sex offenders who victimize children are pedophiles; only about 40 percent of convicted sex offenders meet the diagnostic criteria for the disorder.)

While treatment may help pedophiles resist acting on their attraction to children, many do not seek clinical help because of the risk of legal consequences due to mandatory reporting laws for licensed professionals, including therapists.

Treatment is possible, and where there is not fear of being punished simply for being, they are seeking help. There can be no guarantee, just like there can be no guarantee on any disorder or disease. To ask for such is unrealistic. The last line of this quote is a key point. The position that you are taking increases the risk to the child because you are wanting to punish them for simply having the disorder. As someone else noted, that is like punishing a person with HIV with monitoring and registration at the least, simply because they have HIV, and others are at risk.

You did in fact say " My goal is that a pedophile gets the help and tools he or she needs to not harm a child. " Which suggests either a cure or a therapy. Your just trying to be cute here and split hairs. Or4 did you actuall have a method of giving help to a peadophile which assures the safety of a child?

First off, nothing assures the safety of a child. Not from child molesters (pedophiles or not), not from sports injuries, not from biking accidents, not from automobiles, nothing. We can mitigate and minimize these risks to the best of our ability and continue to improve on those reductions.

You are correct that there is no cure at this time, as there is not to a great many other things. That doesn't mean that management is not available.

https://pro.psychcentral.com/treating-pedophilia/#:~:text=Some%20of%20the%20treatment%20methods said:
Some of the treatment methods for persons with pedophilia include cognitive-behavior therapy – such as relapse-prevention therapy, aversion therapy, masturbatory satiation and orgasmic reorientation; group therapy; psychotherapy (which is less prevalent now than prior to 1960;) and drug therapy such as androgen deprivation therapy (Comer, 2010) or the use of serotonin reuptake inhibitors.

For people with pedophilic disorder who do seek help, research suggests that cognitive-behavioral treatment models may be effective. Such models may include aversive conditioning, confrontation of cognitive distortions, building victim empathy (such as by showing videos of consequences to victims), assertiveness training (social skills training, time management, structure), relapse prevention (identifying antecedents to the behavior [high-risk situations] and how to disrupt antecedents), surveillance systems (family associates who help monitor patient behavior), and lifelong maintenance.

Medications may be used in conjunction with psychotherapy to treat pedophilic disorder. Such medications include medroxyprogesterone acetate (Provera) and leuprolide acetate (Lupron), antiandrogens to lower sex drive. Intensity of sex drive is not consistently related to the behavior of paraphiliacs and high levels of circulating testosterone do not predispose a male to paraphilias. Hormones such as medroxyprogesterone acetate and cyproterone acetate decrease the level of circulating testosterone, potentially reducing sex drive and aggression. These hormones, typically used in tandem with behavioral and cognitive treatments, may reduce the frequency of erections, sexual fantasies, and initiation of sexual behaviors, including masturbation and intercourse. Antidepressants such as fluoxetine have also been found to decrease sex drive but have not effectively targeted sexual fantasies.

Continued from the quote in post #231:

Cognitive therapies include restructuring cognitive distortions and empathy training. Restructuring cognitive distortions involves correcting a pedophile's thoughts that the child wishes to be involved in the activity. Empathy training involves helping the offender take on the perspective of the victim, identify with the victim, and understand the harm they are inflicting. Positive conditioning approaches center on social skills training and alternative, more appropriate behaviors. Reconditioning, for example, involves giving the patient immediate feedback, which may help him change his behavior.

The Prevention Project Dunkelfeld clinics in Germany, which use cognitive behavioral methodology to teach clients how to control their sexual impulses, have treated more than 5,000 people who have voluntarily come forward seeking services. (Germany does not have mandatory reporting laws comparable to those in the United States.) The clinic also offers psychopharmaceutical interventions, including, when needed, testosterone-lowering medication to dampen sexual appetite. The project’s initial results, while based on small samples, appear encouraging: Participants have been shown to experience improvements in their self-regulation abilities and decreases in attitudes that support sexual contact with children.

It really does not take much wit to figure it out. The paraphanalia and or pictures that is discovered on a person as well as psychiatric evaluation and hopefully even a confession is what is needed to know whether it is a peadophile we are dealing with or just someone who is curious.

'Someone who is curious'. What does that mean?

'Someone who is curious'. What does that mean?
I am going to guess that you are not asking for the dictionary definition of the word.

But from your question i am going to assume you must lack in education if you do not understand the meaning of being sexually curious.

Seriously, this is a debate not an education site. Go away and learn something of the subject and stop wasting my time with silly questions.

Hitting a character limit. Managed to get this part down. Working on the first part.

You are still working under the stereotyping of pedophiles.

Treatment is possible, and where there is not fear of being punished simply for being, they are seeking help. There can be no guarantee, just like there can be no guarantee on any disorder or disease. To ask for such is unrealistic. The last line of this quote is a key point. The position that you are taking increases the risk to the child because you are wanting to punish them for simply having the disorder. As someone else noted, that is like punishing a person with HIV with monitoring and registration at the least, simply because they have HIV, and others are at risk.
From your link;
The prognosis for reducing pedophilic desire is difficult to determine, as longstanding sexual fantasies about children can be difficult to change. A practitioner can attempt to reduce the intensity of fantasies and help a patient develop coping strategies, but the individual must be willing to recognize that a problem exists and be willing to participate in treatment for it to have a chance to succeed.

As has been discussed. Not all peadophiles are the same. Your argument is good but it still has the fatal flaw that it relies on trusting the word of a person who must by the very nature of his deviance tell lies.
From your other link;
These include the fact that sex crime rates are dropping, the incidence of sex crimes decreases as people age,
Of course they do. Criminal action in any area drops as people age. Unfortunately waiting for a peadophile to become an old man means many years in which their attitude does not change.

I am going to guess that you are not asking for the dictionary definition of the word.

But from your question i am going to assume you must lack in education if you do not understand the meaning of being sexually curious.

Seriously, this is a debate not an education site. Go away and learn something of the subject and stop wasting my time with silly questions.

So you want criminal liability to pedophiles who own child-like sex dolls, but you're going to give a pass to those who are 'merely' curious? That would an interesting argument in court: "Your honor, yes, I did murder my wife, but I was just curious what it would be like to go a day without being nagged."

You're the one with the silly/ridiculous propositions. Don't be surprised when you get responses in kind.

So you want criminal liability to pedophiles who own child-like sex dolls, but you're going to give a pass to those who are 'merely' curious? That would an interesting argument in court: "Your honor, yes, I did murder my wife, but I was just curious what it would be like to go a day without being nagged."

You're the one with the silly/ridiculous propositions. Don't be surprised when you get responses in kind.
If we come across a person who has toys and drawings related to having sex with a child then i can fully understand the reasoning that we might be dealing with a peadophile. You however are so clueless on the subject that you think somebody hugging a pillow might be a peadophile. Please learn something about this subject rather than be such a waste of space that the best you can do is make worthless silly comments.

An alcoholic that has a slip-up doesn't have to drive drunk. Driving drunk is a compounding circumstance.

An alcoholic slips up by having a drink.

A pedophile slips up by acting on their urges once regardless of any compounding circumstances. they don't have to get in the car they don't have to drive anywhere they don't have to slam into somebody.

All they have to do is they equivalent of having one drink.

A pedophile doesn't have to harm a child either. It takes an act of volition to drive drunk, and it takes an act of volition to molest a child. Both should be illegal, and those that do should face justice. There is no justice in punishing someone for what they might do but haven't done.

If we come across a person who has toys and drawings related to having sex with a child then i can fully understand the reasoning that we might be dealing with a peadophile.

Whether or not they are a pedophile should not determine whether they should be charged with the crime. It is the illegal act or illegal possession that matters to the law.

You however are so clueless on the subject that you think somebody hugging a pillow might be a peadophile.

I used the example of a pillow to point out the ridiculousness of your claim that possession of an inanimate object that can neither be harmed nor do harm to others should be illegal.

Please learn something about this subject rather than be such a waste of space that the best you can do is make worthless silly comments.

Keep giving us silly arguments and you'll get silly responses. It's only fair.

Sensitive subject for me. Had some trouble with a boy in the neighborhood when I was 9 years old. As far as I am concerned, people who practice pedophilia should be locked up and castrated.

But if a doll helps him to stay of kids, well than that may not be such a bad idea. I'd say let it go and do not criminalize little sex dolls.

Joey

Whether or not they are a pedophile should not determine whether they should be charged with the crime. It is the illegal act or illegal possession that matters to the law.

I used the example of a pillow to point out the ridiculousness of your claim that possession of an inanimate object that can neither be harmed nor do harm to others should be illegal.

Keep giving us silly arguments and you'll get silly responses. It's only fair.
I have not made any argument that just being a peadophile should be cause to charge them with a crime. My argument is that they need to be watched as that is the best way we have of ensuring a childs safety. You are doing nothing more than making up your own argument and pretending it is mine.

You used the example of a pillow because you lack the wit to make any real point about this subject.

My argument has not been silly. yours however is a good example of someone who is clueless about the subject.

A pedophile doesn't have to harm a child either.
they can't slip up once ever. An alcoholic can slip up and have a drink and I have a good possibility of not causing any damage.

Pedophiles have to be perfect.
It takes an act of volition to drive drunk, and it takes an act of volition to molest a child.
again you keep using this poor analogy. You can drive drunk and get caught and arrested without ever getting in a car accident without ever even hurting anybody.

You can't molest a child without ever hurting anybody.
Both should be illegal, and those that do should face justice. There is no justice in punishing someone for what they might do but haven't done.
you keep arguing against points I never made. I never suggested we punish somebody for what they might do.

True, we can not cure them the best that can be done is we attempt to reduce their desire to have sex.
But sex is not the only consideration when dealing with a peadophile. there is also grooming which is just as henious jus as dangerous for a child as is the rape of a child. And these methods do nothing to counter the grooming of a child.

Yes they do. Therapy seeks to help pedophiles manage their urges, including "grooming." Someone who is grooming a child for sex is a child molester. Not all pedophiles must necessarily engage in this behavior. A pedophile who has never harmed a child and who is committed to never harming a child and getting help for his condition is not a danger to society. That doesn't mean that you should trust your children with him. That means that you can't put him on a registry and restrict his freedom against his will for an unfortunate condition that he is capable of managing.

Does therapy for pedophiles prevent every incident of child molestation? Of course not. Nor does therapy for alcoholics prevent drunk driving. But that doesn't mean that either type of therapy doesn't prevent a lot of bad things from happening, nor does it change the fact that it is unjust to legally punish a person for a crime that you think they might commit.

I have not made any argument that just being a peadophile should be cause to charge them with a crime. My argument is that they need to be watched as that is the best way we have of ensuring a childs safety. You are doing nothing more than making up your own argument and pretending it is mine.

According to Dr. Cantor, the vast majority of pedophiles would never act on their feelings. That is a very slippery slope you propose. If it turned out someone killed animals as a kid, should they be stalked by the police because that is often the sign of a serial killer? After all, isn't that the only way to ensure the community's safety? Anyways, our officers are too busy already to bother monitoring 24/7 whoever they deem a pedo.

You used the example of a pillow because you lack the wit to make any real point about this subject.

Do you have any other objects you'd like to propose banning?

My argument has not been silly. yours however is a good example of someone who is clueless about the subject.

I have family members who have been molested by pedophiles, so forgive me as I laugh at your ridiculously ignorant statement.

they can't slip up once ever. An alcoholic can slip up and have a drink and I have a good possibility of not causing any damage.

Pedophiles have to be perfect.
again you keep using this poor analogy. You can drive drunk and get caught and arrested without ever getting in a car accident without ever even hurting anybody.

You can't molest a child without ever hurting anybody.
you keep arguing against points I never made. I never suggested we punish somebody for what they might do.

You are equivocating "slip up" to suit your argument. Why do you presume a pedophile "slip up" equates to sex with a minor, while an alcoholic "slip up" is nothing more than having a drink?

The pedophile slip up equivalent of an alcoholic having a drink might be to google pictures of children on the internet. A pedophile slip up equivalent of driving drunk might be chatting with a minor on the internet but not actually meeting them in person. A comparable slip up of the magnitude of having sex with a child would be an alcoholic driving drunk and seriously injuring or killing someone.

A pedophile can slip up as much as an alcoholic can without harming anyone. A severe slip up for the pedophile can result in a child being molested. A severe slip up for an alcoholic can result in a child being killed.

Last edited:
If they are uncontollable then what will a therapy do as a therapy is a way of controlling impulses. You seem not to recognise an obvious contradiction in terms.

My mistake. I should have elaborated that uncontrollable impulses can be managed with therapy such that we don't act on them. The impulses are uncontrollable, but the behavior is not. And there is therapy than can do this successfully if the patient is committed to it.

I agree. They should commit the crime if they are to sent to jail. However they are also a danger to children and therefor need to be registered even if they do not commit a crime. It is unfortunate but that really is the only means we have. And peadophilia is such that to trust they will ot commit a crime means that if we are wrong then a child suffers.

Alcoholism is an addiction. Peadophilia is an obsession. two different things. and we do put people with anger management on a watch. They are often accompanied with a warrant to not go any where near the person they target with their anger.
This is not a case of one solution fits all problems. peadophilia is a problem where the only viable means of control we do have is to put them on a register. Where as anger and alcoholism can be managed with therapies and counselling. peadophillia cannot be managed by these methods.

People with anger management issues are not put on a watch. Criminals may be, but law abiding people in anger management don't have to register with the government because they might be unsafe. So should it be with any law abiding citizen who is struggling with emotional or sexual issues. You can't legally assume someone is going to commit a crime because of a disorder.

Yes they do. Therapy seeks to help pedophiles manage their urges, including "grooming." Someone who is grooming a child for sex is a child molester. Not all pedophiles must necessarily engage in this behavior. A pedophile who has never harmed a child and who is committed to never harming a child and getting help for his condition is not a danger to society. That doesn't mean that you should trust your children with him. That means that you can't put him on a registry and restrict his freedom against his will for an unfortunate condition that he is capable of managing.

Does therapy for pedophiles prevent every incident of child molestation? Of course not. Nor does therapy for alcoholics prevent drunk driving. But that doesn't mean that either type of therapy doesn't prevent a lot of bad things from happening, nor does it change the fact that it is unjust to legally punish a person for a crime that you think they might commit.
It is not that i disagree with the sentiment of your argument but we also must realise that if we treat peadophile by putting trust in their word they will do harm then the consequence if we are wrong is that child will be harmed.
It is the nature of this particular deviance that putting the safety of the child is more important than any consideration for the freedom of a peadophile. Even those who peadophiles who are trying to do the right thing need to understand that. It is not putting blame on them or saying it is their fault. It is simply recognising that this is a deviance that is dangerous to children.

No, there are no treatments there is no management. What your link described was merely a way of reducing the sexual urge. It does nothing to prevent the predator aspect of grooming a child which is just as harmful to a child as the rape is.

Yes it does. That is exactly what therapy is for. It teaches people with this disorder how to manage their behavior and avoid potentially dangerous situations. And it is successful more often than not.

My mistake. I should have elaborated that uncontrollable impulses can be managed with therapy such that we don't act on them. The impulses are uncontrollable, but the behavior is not. And there is therapy than can do this successfully if the patient is committed to it.

People with anger management issues are not put on a watch. Criminals may be, but law abiding people in anger management don't have to register with the government because they might be unsafe. So should it be with any law abiding citizen who is struggling with emotional or sexual issues. You can't legally assume someone is going to commit a crime because of a disorder.
The nature of peadophile is that it effects those who have no self protection, children. Someone with anger management usually takes it out on adults who do have the rights and abilities to deal with it or at least seek help. Children do not have that ability and peadophilia is such that children are tricked into being victims. This can not be compared to anger management.

And the problem with therapy is that they only work with the willingness of the peadophile. You rely on the hope they will do the right thing. and again we get back to that that is ok right up until we are proven wrong in our hope and another child is harmed.

It is unfortunate for them and us that the very nature of this affliction means we must put the childs safety above that of the peadophiles freedom.

Back
Top Bottom