• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Seven takeaways from primaries in Florida, New York and Oklahoma runoffs

Cameron

Politically Correct
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate

In three important elections in NY yesterday, moderate democrats beat Republicans or progressive challengers, arguably evidencing the broader appeal of moderates even in a liberal state.

Sean Patrick Maloney bested progressive challenger Alexandra Biaggi in NY-17
Dan Goldman looks likely to beat a ream of progressive challengers in NY-10
Pat Ryan surprisingly beat Molinaro, a moderate-ish republican in the special election for NY-19

Now if only the GOP could exert some control over the far more radical elements of its base.

If the GOP don't take back Congress in November, it will be due to election fraud.
I accept Biden won in 2020, but there is no evidence on the street or in polling that people like the country's direction under him or the democrats.

Republicans losing in NY is not that noteworthy. Progressives losing in NY is.

Encouraging news for November.
Actually this is note worthy .
Trump won this district in 2016 and Biden won it in 2020 by a point or two.

It shows the dems aren't as weak as it looks.
Does that mean they are a shoe in? No.

In three important elections in NY yesterday, moderate democrats beat Republicans or progressive challengers, arguably evidencing the broader appeal of moderates even in a liberal state.

Sean Patrick Maloney bested progressive challenger Alexandra Biaggi in NY-17
Dan Goldman looks likely to beat a ream of progressive challengers in NY-10
Pat Ryan surprisingly beat Molinaro, a moderate-ish republican in the special election for NY-19

Now if only the GOP could exert some control over the far more radical elements of its base.

The Pat Ryan win was an upset.

If the GOP don't take back Congress in November, it will be due to election fraud.
I accept Biden won in 2020, but there is no evidence on the street or in polling that people like the country's direction under him or the democrats.
You've misinterpreted the polling data. Unlike Trump, who who only gets hammered from the left, Biden gets hammered from both sides of the political spectrum. The fact that the polling data reflects on Biden unfavorably is not an indication that Trump, or anyone to Biden's right, has a better chance of winning their seat come election day.

Doesn't sound all that "Republican"

Its referred to as a bellwether because it is so evenly divided. With the the party that lost the presidential election considered to have a leg up in the next election, this isn't good news for Republicans.

Much of NY is purple. Same with NJ. Same with CA.

People assume the entire states are dark blue...but they aren't. The large population centers are deep blue and that will carry the state in POTUS elections - but all 3 of those states have areas that are dark red and other areas that flip back and forth.

Republicans losing in NY is not that noteworthy. Progressives losing in NY is.

Encouraging news for November.

This post makes no sense. This was not a statewide race, but a bellwether Congressional seat with a near perfect record of predicting Presidential races.

Would the logic in this post prevail if dependable solid GOP NYS CD were flipping? That's what it would seem to imply.

The polling data on Trump is not exactly stellar, either.

This post is nonsense.

Starting early with this bullshit, eh?
You can foresee election fraud, based on what exactly? Your feelings on the matter?
I am old enough to remember when the motto from the right was "**** your feelings".

Its referred to as a bellwether because it is so evenly divided. With the the party that lost the presidential election considered to have a leg up in the next election, this isn't good news for Republicans.
Democrat replaces Democrat. Details at 11:00.

And therefore it's silly to call this a "Republican district."

Ah, I didn't catch the other poster called it a "Republican District".

My error, withdraw my comment, carry-on!

You've misinterpreted the polling data. Unlike Trump, who who only gets hammered from the left, Biden gets hammered from both sides of the political spectrum. The fact that the polling data reflects on Biden unfavorably is not an indication that Trump, or anyone to Biden's right, has a better chance of winning their seat come election day.

Underrated point. Biden's approval ratings are lagging because his base wants him to do more.

Notice how those ratings have crept up now that the Senate has passed some meaningful legislation again?

They like Biden a hell of a lot more than a moron like Trump.

Back
Top Bottom