• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Seven stupid things the gov’t spent money on during the shutdown

sawyerloggingon

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
Political Leaning
Independent
This is your government at work. This is why it cost money to shut government down. This is proof that Obama is trying to make this hurt and using us as political pawns.

"The shutdown in during the Clinton Presidency cost taxpayers about $1.5 billion in 22 days. According to IHS Global Insight, the shutdown could cost the U.S. economy $1.6 billion per week — and NBC News reported that the shutdown would cost $12.5 million per hour.
Here are seven things that the government, in all its wisdom, has opted to do during the current shutdown." 1. Federal agencies created new websites to tell visitors that they don’t have enough funding to run their old websites.

Read more: Seven stupid things the gov

While the golf courses that Obama seems to like so much at Andrews and other DC area bases are open the men and women stationed overseas that rely on AFN for their sports entertainment are SOL. Great take away the NFL and the World Series from the troops.:censored

I can't even begin to address how sick and tired I am of these petulant little children running around DC playing ego driven, incompetent big shot with my tax money.

This is your government at work.

I count seven things, but I fail to see how they're "stupid".

Personally, I don't consider ideologue opinion websites to be all that authoritative.

I think the Christian Science Monitor, while generally a pretty conservative newspaper, takes a much more pragmatic "real reporting" view:

Government shutdown: Do national parks really need to be barricaded? - CSMonitor.com

From the article:

“If I were a lawyer for the Park Service, I’d advise it in no uncertain terms to close the parks to the public during the government shutdown, because it would be irresponsible to do otherwise,” writes Richard Seamon, a University of Idaho law professor who previously advised the National Park Service as an assistant to the solicitor general in the US Department of Justice, in an e-mail. If parks remain open, “there are bound to be accidents or crimes that would have been avoided or ameliorated had officials been on duty to respond or patrol.” Leaving the parks open, he adds, “would be a veritable open season for criminals.”

“I’m sure some folks believe that President Obama or his appointees are shutting down popular government facilities to inspire resentment against Republicans,” he continues. “I’m just as sure this is not happening. Government officials are just following rules laid down from past shut-downs and threats thereof. It all happens rather automatically, in accordance with detailed plans that are dusted off and put into operation during unfortunate periods like this one.”

Once again, if you're upset or concerned that your Park is closed, write a letter to the Tea party and let them know that you disprove of their holding the government hostage as part of their ideological battle against the ACA.

Trying to place the blame anywhere other than on Tea Party Representatives is silly, childish, ignorant, and irresponsible.

OR, if you support the Tea Party's fighting their ideological war against the ACA by taking the government hostage then accept the fact that there are casualties in wars and unfortunately the NPS is one of them. Then put on your big girl panties and suck it the **** up.

Meh. Think of all the stupid things Congress does when it isn't shutdown.

This is your government at work. This is why it cost money to shut government down. This is proof that Obama is trying to make this hurt and using us as political pawns.

"The shutdown in during the Clinton Presidency cost taxpayers about $1.5 billion in 22 days. According to IHS Global Insight, the shutdown could cost the U.S. economy $1.6 billion per week — and NBC News reported that the shutdown would cost $12.5 million per hour.
Here are seven things that the government, in all its wisdom, has opted to do during the current shutdown." 1. Federal agencies created new websites to tell visitors that they don’t have enough funding to run their old websites.

Read more: Seven stupid things the gov

I count seven things, but I fail to see how they're "stupid".

Personally, I don't consider ideologue opinion websites to be all that authoritative.

I think the Christian Science Monitor, while generally a pretty conservative newspaper, takes a much more pragmatic "real reporting" view:

Government shutdown: Do national parks really need to be barricaded? - CSMonitor.com

From the article:

Once again, if you're upset or concerned that your Park is closed, write a letter to the Tea party and let them know that you disprove of their holding the government hostage as part of their ideological battle against the ACA.

Trying to place the blame anywhere other than on Tea Party Representatives is silly, childish, ignorant, and irresponsible.

OR, if you support the Tea Party's fighting their ideological war against the ACA by taking the government hostage then accept the fact that there are casualties in wars and unfortunately the NPS is one of them. Then put on your big girl panties and suck it the **** up.

Excuse me, maybe you didn't know that the House passed a bill to fund the NPS and many other facets of Government. The ones who did NOT pass the bill were the Senate Democrats. You can stop being dishonest or ignorant now.

1. Federal agencies created new websites to tell visitors that they don’t have enough funding to run their old websites.

That is pretty funny but sad .

So they shut down the government, but we are supposed to give them a kudos for trying to pass a bill to fund the NPS and other parts of the government? You do realize these things would be funded if the government wasn't shutdown, right?

Excuse me, maybe you didn't know that the House passed a bill to fund the NPS and many other facets of Government. The ones who did NOT pass the bill were the Senate Democrats. You can stop being dishonest or ignorant now.

So they shut down the government, but we are supposed to give them a kudos for trying to pass a bill to fund the NPS and other parts of the government? You do realize these things would be funded if the government wasn't shutdown, right?

The Government shutdown because the Democrats wouldn't pass the bill.

1. Federal agencies created new websites to tell visitors that they don’t have enough funding to run their old websites.

That is pretty funny but sad .

Yeah, checkout the popup on whitehouse.gov

Where did I say that the House didn't pass a bill that funded some government functions while selectively cutting off funding to others?

I recognize that they did.

I just think that's completely ****ing silly.

"We'll fund the NPS and the DOD, but not this silly little ACA that we disagree with but which the previous Congress passed, the President signed, and the SCOTUS ruled as Constitutional!"

Umm, okay.

Well, play ***** and get ****ed.

Make no mistake, the Republicans in the House, specifically the Tea Party Republicans in the House, are responsible for the shutdown.

As much as Democrats would be responsible if they were to pass a CR that funded all of their "pet functions" and left unfunded others that they're not traditionally big on. Like if the Democrats in Congress had decided that they weren't going to pass ANY bill or CR that provided funding for the war in Iraq (back in the day, say around 2005-ish). If the Republicans had looked at a Democrat bill that provides funding for Planned Parenthood but failed to fund our troops fighting in Iraq and said, "Screw this, we're not passing anything until you provide funds for our forward deployed troops", whose fault would that be (considering that the Democrats had the opportunity to NOT authorize the use of force against Iraq but decided to go ahead and do it anyhow)?

Right, it would be the Democrat's fault for playing politics and getting called on it.

Same thing here, only it's the tea Party's fault.

Either the Tea Party can provide the funding for a perfectly legal program (that which the ACA provides for) or they're responsible for shutting down the government.

Spin it however you want, but anyone with two firing neurons can see right through it.

And again, I don't fault the Tea party for making their stand and putting up their fight.

They're within their rights to do so.

But there are consequences for making a stand and real men, men who value personal responsibility, accept that and take the good with the bad.

Last edited:
Where did I say that the House didn't pass a bill that funded some government functions while selectively cutting off funding to others?

I recognize that they did.

I just think that's completely ****ing silly.

"We'll fund the NPS and the DOD, but not this silly little ACA that we disagree with but which the previous Congress passed, the President signed, and the SCOTUS ruled as Constitutional!"

Umm, okay.

Well, play ***** and get ****ed.

Make no mistake, the Republicans in the House, specifically the Tea Party Republicans in the House, are responsible for the shutdown.

As much as Democrats would be responsible if they were to pass a CR that funded all of their "pet functions" and defended the DOD.

That is a legitimate way to repeal the bill. ALSO that is what the country wanted. But to say that the Republicans shut down the government is a flat out lie and not the facts. They have passed to keep the government going.

To put the fault of this shutdown on one side is ridiculous. Both sides are at fault here.

Factually False, the House has passed resolutions to fund the government, the Senate won't even take them up. Not both sides actually.

Did you miss that whole deal where the House bill (which was passed) would have funded everything except Obamacare (which is supposed to be self funding) and then the Democrats in the Senate shot it down?

That is a legitimate way to repeal the bill.

No, a perfectly legitimate way to repeal the bill is to repeal the bill.

What the Tea Party is doing can best be described as thug politics.

But to say that the Republicans shut down the government is a flat out lie and not the facts. They have passed to keep the government going.

No, they've passed a bill that will keep that part of government that they're happy with going.

That's not passing a bill that funds the government.

So until they fund the WHOLE government, and make their fight against the ACA along traditionally accepted avenues (like by passing a bill that repeals it) then they're responsible for shutting down the WHOLE government.

Did you miss that whole deal where the House bill (which was passed) would have funded everything except Obamacare (which is supposed to be self funding) and then the Democrats in the Senate shot it down?

The House played chicken and lost.

No shame in that.

But they need to own it.

No, a perfectly legitimate way to repeal the bill is to repeal the bill.

What the Tea Party is doing can best be described as thug politics.

No, they've passed a bill that will keep that part of government that they're happy with going.

That's not passing a bill that funds the government.

So until they fund the WHOLE government, and make their fight against the ACA along traditionally accepted avenues (like by passing a bill that repeals it) then they're responsible for shutting down the WHOLE government.

Newsflash: They HAVE passed a bill that repealed it. Many times. AND the last thing the house passed DID fund the entire government and merely gave the people a year delay just like businesses. That's fair.

So they shut down the government, but we are supposed to give them a kudos for trying to pass a bill to fund the NPS and other parts of the government?

Isn't that what they are suppose to do, fund all the parts of the Government? There is no requirement that all of the Government be funded in a single appropriations bill.

Why is it that the Democrats just want to fund the whole thing but won't vote on funding parts of it individually? Is it because it's easier to hide things in bigger bills? Is it easier to pass the blame? I don't understand why the House just doesn't pass funding bills for all the parts of the Government that it wants to fund and let the Senate explain why these Departments should not be funded. Perhaps that is the best way to see what is really important and what isn't?

The House played chicken and lost.

No shame in that.

But they need to own it.

They lost? How's that?

Just because the left wing condemns them doesn't mean they lost. The left ALWAYS condemns the right. Hell, if Ted Cruz rescued a baby from a burning building the left would make him out to be a kidnapper and an arsonist so I don't really see how "lost" factors in here....especially because the winner won't be decided until November of next year.

More ridiculousness. You can't hand someone a turd and then expect them to thank you for it.

Factually False, the House has passed resolutions to fund the government, the Senate won't even take them up. Not both sides actually.

Obama care has already been vetted through both the House and the Senate, then signed by the President. Now the House wants to defund it? Too late.

More ridiculousness. You can't hand someone a turd and then expect them to thank you for it.

And you wonder why people are upset with Obamacare. That was an elephant turd the entire country was handed.

Obama care has already been vetted through both the House and the Senate, then signed by the President. Now the House wants to defund it? Too late.

No it's not. Congress can stop funding anything they like. That is their primary function, to appropriate money to pay for programs.

They lost their gambit to defeat the ACA by not funding it.

So they passed a funding bill for it? So why is the Government still shutdown?

Back
Top Bottom