• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Seven Perfect Songs (Copied)

Arts&Sciences

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
First of all, to give you an introductory and "demographic" profile, I am male, 20 years old and I live in Oregon, USA. Leon Battista Alberti once described the beautiful as something that cannot be altered except for the worse. While this definition is clearly subjective, it is probably the definition that we all use with regards to painting, sculpture and- most importantly to me- music. I base my assessments on both the music and the lyrics. In alphabetical order, here are the only seven songs (of those that I have heard) in the rock/pop genres that, in my opinion, meet Alberti's definition of artistic perfection:

“Alone” Heart
“Can’t Stop Loving You” Phil Collins’ Cover
“Dream On” Aerosmith
“For What It’s Worth” Buffalo Springfield
“Forca” Nelly Furtado
“Layla” Eric Clapton
“Try” Nelly Furtado

I would greatly appreciate similar lists from all of you. I would also appreciate commentary on what these seven songs may have in common that makes me inclined to call them "perfect". It should make for an interesting and enlightening discussion.

(In a note to the moderators, I apologize for not noticing that there was a forum specific to the arts. Feel free to delete my off-topic forum post.)

While I would agree with most of those and at least one I would have to refresh my memory to say for sure...But the thing I find common is they are from a relative same era 70's early eighties. As a musician I can readily appreciate this topic. Also I would add "Strangeway by Firefall" a largely forgotten tune but mystical music and lyrically poetic. Tasha the moderator plays bass and has a coool webpage maybe she could chime in here..?

Thank you for replying. I listen to music mainly on the Internet (legally) and unfortunately, I can't find the song that you're referring to. You see, I am 20 and still financially dependent and... well, it's a long story, but if I can't listen to it legally for free, I can't listen to it. Thanks again for replying.

You spelled "Strange Way" as one word, so that's how I became confused on the web searches (not blaming you). I listened to the song, and since I am a bit hypercritical, I can't quite put it on the same level as the seven I listed above. Sorry about that.

I suppose it ultimately comes down to ones individual tastes/preference. Stairway to Heaven by example is always seen and voted as Rocks #1 song of all time with Freebird always falling short at#2...And while I don't dislike either of them I certainly would not categorize them as perfect and unchangable for to improve...And because you failed to note them as such and I do agree with that. Nevertheless, I am sure because of their high ranks of consistancy many people would disagree.

Well, thank you for replying in this thread. I'll be making many more threads about music in the future, but right now I'm going to start some discussions of political science.

Pretty interesting idea...seven perfect songs, so just off the top of my head, here's my seven....

Waterloo Sunset- The Kinks
I Got You ( I Feel Good)- James Brown
Paperback Writer-The Beatles
Woodstock-Joni Mitchell/Crosy, Stills & Nash
I'll Feel a Whole Lot Better-The Byrds
Crossroads- Robert Johnson/Cream
Get Together-The Youngbloods

Ask me tomorrow, and I could have a completely different seven.

The list of songs that I would stop just short of calling perfect would be very long. I had to think for quite a while before I chose those seven. There is an amazing number of underrated songs that few people seem to have heard that (IMO) are far better than what tops the charts these days.

Hoot got me thinking... And yes it hurts...lol I like most of his suggestions for today and looking foward now to tomorrow's..?
What about these: Steely Dan's "Do It again", Molly Hatchet "Dreams I'll Never See"...And what about The Eagles "Hotel California" Especially with the nice new and surprise intro from the "Hell Freezes Over" rendition. Oh yes, and then there is Heart's "Crazy On You" with its own glorious newly rendered intro (a must see video).

"Something" - The Beatles
"Comfortably numb" - Pink Floyd
"The Dance" - Garth Brooks
"Candle in the Wind" - Elton John
"Time of your life" - Green Day

Comfortably numb has had a few artists redo it, but the "perfect" version is in The Wall.

3 Libras - A Perfect Circle
Lateralus - Tool
Ghost of You - My Chemical Romance
Po' Nigga Blues - Tupac
Right Where It Belongs - Nine Inch Nails
The Seed 2.0 - The Roots
Hurt - The Johnny Cash cover

I would say that Johnny Cash's video for "Hurt" is among the best that I've ever seen.

I'm surprised there hasn't been more response to this topic?

Maybe some of the youngest among us have never heard a perfect song, with the state of music such as it is today? LOL J/K

Another perfect song...IMHO....

Walk Don't Run-The Ventures

A bit of trivia...Walk Don't Run is the only song recorded by the same band, with two different versions, with both versions making it into the top 10

'Walk Don't Run' & 'Walk Don't Run '64.'

First of all, "Walk, Don't Run" is an excellent song. Second, writing as a 20-year-old, what tops the charts these days is ridiculous. You have to look for songs that don't get much attention to find the real gems. Moreover, a number of artists and groups have made one excellent song and then returned to playing formulaic material. Examples include No Doubt's "Don't Speak" and the Goo Goo Dolls' "Iris", both of which are superb but were written by artists who otherwise aren't much above average.

Hoot said:
I'm surprised there hasn't been more response to this topic?

Yes me too.
I'm expanding my music library based on some of these suggestions...Legally of course.;)

Hoot said:
A bit of trivia...Walk Don't Run is the only song recorded by the same band, with two different versions, with both versions making it into the top 10

'Walk Don't Run' & 'Walk Don't Run '64.'
I think this song was originally done by Chet Atkins but I don't know that it answers the question..?

Arts&Sciences said:
First of all, "Walk, Don't Run" is an excellent song. Moreover, a number of artists and groups have made one excellent song and then returned to playing formulaic material. Examples include No Doubt's "Don't Speak" and the Goo Goo Dolls' "Iris", both of which are superb but were written by artists who otherwise aren't much above average.

Agreed... One example I can immediately come up with is Kansas's Dust In The Wind.

I have noticed two other problems in popular music. One problem is singers with great voices being given mediocre lyrics. Another problem is songs with great potential being ruined by poor musicians (IMO). The worst example of the latter that I have ever heard is Guns N' Roses playing "Sweet Child O' Mine". When I read the lyrics I thought that it was going to be one of the best songs that I'd ever heard... until I heard how the group played it.

Arts&Sciences said:
I have noticed two other problems in popular music. One problem is singers with great voices being given mediocre lyrics. Another problem is songs with great potential being ruined by poor musicians (IMO). The worst example of the latter that I have ever heard is Guns N' Roses playing "Sweet Child O' Mine". When I read the lyrics I thought that it was going to be one of the best songs that I'd ever heard... until I heard how the group played it.
And on the opposite end of the spectrum, we have Taylor Dayne...One of the most powerful female voices ever...20 years later and she still hasn't sung a lick of substance yet...

1) Paradise by Sade
2) In the Mood by Glen Miller
3) Take 5 by Dave Brubeck
4) The Mad Hatter by Chick Corea - I count the whole album as one song, since each song in the album is an essential part of this masterpiece.
5) Egocentric Molecules by Jean-Luc Ponty
6) La Valse by Maurice Ravel
7) Anything by John Coltrane
8) Ricochet by Tangerine Dream

To reply to cnredd, that's why I like Nelly Furtado's works so much. She can sing well and write great songs in two languages and she can play three instruments.

On the Sunny Side of the Street - Louis Armstrong (Decca, 1956)
Save Me - k.d. lang
So What - Miles Davis
Nice Dream - Radiohead
Ramblin' Man - Hank Williams
You Ain't Woman Enough to Take My Man - Loretta Lynn
I Will Always Love You - Dolly Parton

I don't know about perfect, but these are seven songs that make me feel just about perfect when I hear them. Among many, many others.

Do you suppose that there would be any interest in a thread about music videos?

Arts&Sciences said:
To reply to cnredd, that's why I like Nelly Furtado's works so much. She can sing well and write great songs in two languages and she can play three instruments.

I don't know anything about Nelly Furtado, but now, based on your praise I'll have to check her out.

And to you, Mixed Media...I'm glad to see Dolly's name in your list.

A short story...I was always a big fan of the Byrds...then the Byrds evolved into a band called The Flying Burrito Bothers...and from there I learned about Emmylou Harris and Linda Ronstadt...who both bow down and pay homage at the feet of Dolly...literally worshipping her talent.

And like you and Furtado, Arts&Sciences, I became enamored of Dolly because not only could she sing like an angel, but she wrote her own songs, and played a pretty good guitar.

Believe me...I took a lot of ribbing when friends learned I was a Dolly fan. I'm sure you can guess the cracks about why I liked her..especially her profile....but I would always defend Dolly...precisely for the reasons already mentioned. Although my friends were sure it was because of her physique. I kept telling them I'm more of a butt guy...LOL!

Hoot said:
I don't know anything about Nelly Furtado, but now, based on your praise I'll have to check her out.

And to you, Mixed Media...I'm glad to see Dolly's name in your list.

A short story...I was always a big fan of the Byrds...then the Byrds evolved into a band called The Flying Burrito Bothers...and from there I learned about Emmylou Harris and Linda Ronstadt...who both bow down and pay homage at the feet of Dolly...literally worshipping her talent.

And like you and Furtado, Arts&Sciences, I became enamored of Dolly because not only could she sing like an angel, but she wrote her own songs, and played a pretty good guitar.

Believe me...I took a lot of ribbing when friends learned I was a Dolly fan. I'm sure you can guess the cracks about why I liked her..especially her profile....but I would always defend Dolly...precisely for the reasons already mentioned. Although my friends were sure it was because of her physique. I kept telling them I'm more of a butt guy...LOL!

:rofl
Dolly Parton is an angel on this earth. I love her, everything about her. And she writes simple, heartfelt songs that really move me. And her voice.....oh my god, it can slay me. I'm a woman, a straight woman, and I could care less about her physique. It's her pipes and wonderful soul that I love.

Back
Top Bottom