• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Seven million lose insurance under Trump so far

Greenbeard

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
Gallup checks in on how we're doing on health coverage in the Trump era. The answer is: not good.

U.S. Uninsured Rate Rises to Four-Year High
WASHINGTON, D.C. -- The U.S. adult uninsured rate stood at 13.7% in the fourth quarter of 2018, according to Americans' reports of their own health insurance coverage, its highest level since the first quarter of 2014. While still below the 18% high point recorded before implementation of the Affordable Care Act's individual health insurance mandate in 2014, today's level is the highest in more than four years, and well above the low point of 10.9% reached in 2016. The 2.8-percentage-point increase since that low represents a net increase of about seven million adults without health insurance.
The open enrollment periods since 2018 have been characterized by a significant reduction in public marketing and shortened enrollment periods of under seven weeks, about half of previous periods. Funding for ACA "navigators" who assist consumers in ACA enrollment has also been reduced in 2018 to $10 million, compared with $63 million in 2016. Overall, after open enrollment in the ACA federal insurance marketplace (i.e., healthcare.gov) peaked in 2016 at 9.6 million consumers, it declined by approximately 12.5%, to 8.4 million in 2019, based on recently released figures.

Other potential factors include political forces that may have increased uncertainty surrounding the ACA marketplace. Early in his presidency, for example, President Donald Trump announced, "I want people to know Obamacare is dead; it's a dead healthcare plan." Congressional Republicans made numerous high-profile attempts in 2017 to repeal and replace the plan. Although none fully succeeded legislatively, the elimination of the ACA's individual mandate penalty as part of the December 2017 Republican tax reform law may have reduced participation in the insurance marketplace in the most recent open enrollment period.

Trump's decision in October 2017 to end cost-sharing reduction could also potentially have affected the uninsured rate. The cost-sharing payments were made to insurers in the marketplace exchanges to offset some of their costs for offering lower-cost plans to lower-income Americans. The Trump administration had previously renewed the payments on a month-by-month basis but later concluded that such payments were unlawful. In April 2018, a federal court granted a request for a class-action lawsuit by health insurers to sue the federal government for failing to make the payments. Such lawsuits continue to be litigated.

Gallup checks in on how we're doing on health coverage in the Trump era. The answer is: not good.

It's not good, it's GREAT!

It's GREAT for Americans not to have health insurance.

America is GREAT again.

Imagine that - remove the penalty for not doing something people don't want to do, and they stop doing it.

Point!

As an adult, the only times prior to the ACA that I've ever had healthcare coverage were when it was a fully employer-funded benefit of whatever job I had. Otherwise I paid out of pocket on the rare occasions I got sick.

Even after I left the Army I did not register for any VA benefits...right up until I got the first notice of a $2000 "penalty" if I could not prove I already had insurance under the ACA requirements.

That was the first time after leaving the military that I registered for VA medical benefits.

Last edited:
Point!

As an adult, the only times I've ever had healthcare were when it was a fully employer-funded benefit of whatever job I had. Even after I left the Army I did not register for any VA benefits...right up until I got the first notice of a $2000 "penalty" if I could not prove I already had insurance under the ACA requirements.

That was the first time after leaving the military that I registered for VA medical benefits.

Were you a Lifer NCO in the Army?
Did you sustain any injuries in service?

Imagine that - remove the penalty for not doing something people don't want to do, and they stop doing it.

That tells me they were doing it because they didn't want the punishment not because they wanted healthcare.

Those that support Obamacare say it does many good things and is better than what we had a a country before. What I'm interested in knowing from them is, but have yet to have one provide an answer, if something is that good, why does it have to be mandated? Wouldn't people do it because it's that good.

That tells me they were doing it because they didn't want the punishment not because they wanted healthcare.

Those that support Obamacare say it does many good things and is better than what we had a a country before. What I'm interested in knowing from them is, but have yet to have one provide an answer, if something is that good, why does it have to be mandated? Wouldn't people do it because it's that good.

Unreal the level of stupid **** conservatives will post. What an incredibly dumb comment. We know what happens if it wasn't mandated, as it already happens. People who think they are healthy won't need insurance won't buy insurance. The entire concept of insurance is to have a pool. many people who won't require payouts paying into the system, for when it comes time they need it. that's how insurance worked.

So what happens is the a holes that don't think they need insurance won't get any, then they need medical attention, wrack up a bill they can't pay, and the rest of us end up picking up the slack anyway

By the way, car insurance is mandated also. For the same reason. People would screw others by not having insurance and sticking them with the bill if they caused an accident

Unreal the level of stupid **** conservatives will post. What an incredibly dumb comment. We know what happens if it wasn't mandated, as it already happens. People who think they are healthy won't need insurance won't buy insurance. The entire concept of insurance is to have a pool. many people who won't require payouts paying into the system, for when it comes time they need it. that's how insurance worked.

So what happens is the a holes that don't think they need insurance won't get any, then they need medical attention, wrack up a bill they can't pay, and the rest of us end up picking up the slack anyway

By the way, car insurance is mandated also. For the same reason. People would screw others by not having insurance and sticking them with the bill if they caused an accident

Unreal that you think something supposedly so good has to be mandated.

What's wrong with people not buying something they don't want to buy?

I know how insurance works. Those that don't pay into the pool don't get benefits from the pool. There's an easy way to cut insurance costs other than getting the government out of it. If someone chooses to not buy then gets into a situation where they need insurance, don't provide care. They made the choice why shouldn't they face the consequences of it? You can't rack up a bill if you don't get treatment. That means there's nothing for the rest of us to pay.

You are wrong about car insurance, at least based on how my state does it. What I'm required to have by law isn't designed to protect me. Having health insurance is.

What I'm interested in knowing from them is, but have yet to have one provide an answer, if something is that good, why does it have to be mandated? Wouldn't people do it because it's that good.

Not if they can realize the benefits without paying for them, no.

It's not good, it's GREAT!

It's GREAT for Americans not to have health insurance.

America is GREAT again.

Of course! THey got rid of the black man and replaced him with a New York Elite businessman who claims to understand the needs of the simpleton. Now he's gunna mess everything up but as long as he keeps saying "Build the wall!" they're gunna love him!

I cannot wait to hear their excuses in 10 years as to why they felt this moron would make a good president.

It's just like the Iraq war, crickets ****ing chirping about that. They knew they were wrong, but they're trying to play like it didn't happen.

We won't let them forget.

And I have yet to hear one feasible proposal from the right about what they would do with health care.

U.S. Uninsured Rate Rises to Four-Year High

It is hard to get poor American dads to willingly commit to spending money on insurance when they need the money for food and other necessities. I know. I bought no health insurance at all for my family during the first 40 years of my marriage. By deliberate choice.

Unreal that you think something supposedly so good has to be mandated.

What's wrong with people not buying something they don't want to buy?

I know how insurance works. Those that don't pay into the pool don't get benefits from the pool. There's an easy way to cut insurance costs other than getting the government out of it. If someone chooses to not buy then gets into a situation where they need insurance, don't provide care. They made the choice why shouldn't they face the consequences of it? You can't rack up a bill if you don't get treatment. That means there's nothing for the rest of us to pay.

You are wrong about car insurance, at least based on how my state does it. What I'm required to have by law isn't designed to protect me. Having health insurance is.

Your mistake is this idea that people are rational.

Oh man, the healthcare industry is an industrial complex. Yep, 17% of the GDP and people thru out the industry raking in the $$$$$.

Lots of wonderful lobbying money pumped into washington for DEMS and REPS to get a significant change in this system.

Corporations wrote OBAMACARE and Obama sold it to the masses like it was a wonderful achievement for the people. It was a wonderful gift to the corporate elite. If you can't afford insurance, we will pay for it!!! Yep, the health complex loved that part. When the next recession hits, and it will, the corps struggling with profits will start telling employees to get on the exchange for their insurance.

Don't believe me, go back in history to the wonderful days they enacted the IRA/401K bull****. that was the beginning of the end of employee sponsored retirement plans.

Trust me when I tell you this, Obamacare was a corporate handout, not a solution to poor peoples health issues. ****, most people can't afford the deductibles associated with Obamacare insurance.

We live in a wonderful country where there is a ton of money and you can have it if you read the laws our illustrious corporations write. THe politicians just do the selling to use sheep!

The fate of the uninsured always sounds like a Fox and Stork story because it's always commented on most by those who have few if any worries with their finances or their health.

76574f409554513e724f79f510b290b2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom