• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Settling the 2nd amendment once and for all

Tiny

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
Hello. In regards to the 2nd amendment, yes the founding fathers did mention militia. However, it seems to me that they were merely citing having a militia as one of the many possible ways in which arming the citizenry could be a good thing. They were not saying that being in a militia is the only way in which the citizenry could be armed.

I believe that we should take into account what their frame of mind was. I believe one of the chief reasons the founding fathers wanted regular people to be armed is that in the event of the government becoming tyrannical, the people should be able to rise up and overthrow it. By violent means, if necessary. I believe this is what they intended.

Thoughts?

I believe that we should take into account what their frame of mind was. I believe one of the chief reasons the founding fathers wanted regular people to be armed is that in the event of the government becoming tyrannical, the people should be able to rise up and overthrow it. By violent means, if necessary. I believe this is what they intended.

Makes sense.

Counterpoint: Drones.

Hello. In regards to the 2nd amendment, yes the founding fathers did mention militia. However, it seems to me that they were merely citing having a militia as one of the many possible ways in which arming the citizenry could be a good thing. They were not saying that being in a militia is the only way in which the citizenry could be armed.

Thoughts?

I would think they would codify voting ahead of a violent insurrection.

But even if one indulges in this fantasy, looking at how armed citizens helped commit genocide against Native Americans and terrorized fellow black citizens in the service of Jim Crow for decades, it seems clear that that idea utterly failed.

Thoughts?

First post, and you jump right in to a lightning rod topic..

Good for you!

I suggest your next thread should be about abortion, and then top it off with a climate change thread.

I would think they would codify voting ahead of a violent insurrection.

But even if one indulges in this fantasy, looking at how armed citizens helped commit genocide against Native Americans and terrorized fellow black citizens in the service of Jim Crow for decades, it seems clear that that idea utterly failed.

Those things can be avoided, if that's your concern. Here I am mostly talking about overthrowing a tyrannical government, not about terrorizing fellow citizens.

Those things can be avoided, if that's your concern. Here I am mostly talking about overthrowing a tyrannical government, not about terrorizing fellow citizens.

You just showed up and mentioned tyrannical government, so it's safe to assume you view the Biden admin as tyrannical, but you think that the Trump Admin was peachy keen?

Dan'l Boone was still running around in the woods shooting animals when the 2nd was written.

What were they gonna do? Tell some people they couldn't have guns during this period...

OHS AL00232.jpg

Thoughts?

What marks your thread as different from all others on the 2nd Amendment ?

Whoever it was that wrote and approved the 2A, they weren't good at communicating via written words.

The terrorizing was done in defense of a tyrannical government.

There's a Canadian flag. Are you a US citizen living in the US?

You just showed up and mentioned tyrannical government, so it's safe to assume you view the Biden admin as tyrannical, but you think that the Trump Admin was peachy keen?

I think you're looking for a different word that starts with "s". Hint: It ends in d and has 6 letters.

People who start their very first thread with a controversial topic are often something that begins with "T"

How ironic, coming from someone who refuses to actually address the topic and only has time for personal attacks.

Whoever it was that wrote and approved the 2A, they weren't good at communicating via written words.

Well there's a school of thought that the Constitution was written deliberately vague in order for it to get the necessary support.

Thoughts?
That's one of the aspects of public being armed, and it's the one that people often quote, but there is another one. It was also so we could hep defend our nation against invaders. Imagine an invading force coming into millions of armed civilians, an entire nation at arms.

Thoughts?
If you are basing second amendment rights on defending yourself from a tyrannical govt, that drone has left its launch site...
1620341135743.png

On the other hand, if you've got these guys on your side maybe there's a chance...nevermind
1620341359943.png

Thoughts?
And keeping in mind the time they lived in, they also recognized the need for self-defense and hunting. Today meat comes nicely wrapped in plastic, but it didn't always come that way. And most of the population hunted to put food on the table. Just no way they didn't want individuals to own their own guns. They would have been ridden out of town on a rail, tarred and feathered for saying something like that.

Well there's a school of thought that the Constitution was written deliberately vague in order for it to get the necessary support.
Don't get me started on the CONstitution.

Back
Top Bottom