• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Setback: BP cap in limbo over gov't questions

Crunch

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
By TOM BREEN and HARRY R. WEBER, Associated Press Writers Tom Breen And Harry R. Weber, Associated Press Writers – 28 mins ago
NEW ORLEANS – BP's work on capping the Gulf of Mexico gusher was frozen Wednesday after the federal government raised concerns the operation could put damaging pressure on the busted well that could make the leak worse.

An administration official, who asked not to be identified because of the sensitivity of the talks with BP, said the government was acting out of "abundance of caution" and didn't want potentially dangerous pressure tests on a tighter containment cap that has been placed over the well to go ahead until BP answers questions about possible risks.

At the same time, BP on its own halted the drilling of two relief wells that are designed to be a more permanent solution to plug the well.

Setback: BP cap in limbo over gov't questions - Yahoo! News

Never let a crisis go to waste.....

Temporary halt to discuss whether the whole thing will explode if they proceed? THAT DAMNED GOVERNMENT.

Also, BP is really talking about an "abundance of caution," eh?

Temporary halt to discuss whether the whole thing will explode if they proceed? THAT DAMNED GOVERNMENT.

Also, BP is really talking about an "abundance of caution," eh?

Yeah! We need to listen to all those drilling experts in the White House. Oh, wait...

Yeah! We need to listen to all those drilling experts in the White House. Oh, wait...

When one is dealing with an unknown situation such as taking steps sight unseen from over 5000 Ft away, one is wise to take every possible precaution.

When one is dealing with an unknown situation such as taking steps sight unseen from over 5000 Ft away, one is wise to take every possible precaution.

I agree with taking all necessary precautions, but what kind of expertise does the government have to know what those precautions are? Thad Allen was a tool pusher back in the day? I'm thinking, no.

No problem with this in principle if there's legitimate reason from actual experts that the government thinks its prudent (And you know, not experts that you ask a question to and then use their answer to justify a completely seperate question)...

As long as we don't have people on the left swarming in here next week going on and on about how BP is dragging its feet and promised us it would be done this week and it wasn't. This is not BP prolonging it, its the government. Whether you agree with the prolonging or not, don't bitch about BP not doing it quick enough or not making good on doing it this week if its not them that's slowing it up.

Last edited:

Sort of looks to have become a "non-story" at this point. Appears that the reason for the delay was discovered/fixed and the capping/testing activities are in operation again.

"A number of steps have to be carried out before then, including checking the seals on the equipment and moving robotic submersibles back into proper position.

The work was interrupted after a leak was discovered late Wednesday in a line that can funnel oil up to a ship if necessary."

All good news so far. Let's wish 'em luck, eh....??!! :)

Last edited:

Did it ever occur to you that maybe they are consulting experts in this field?

I agree with taking all necessary precautions, but what kind of expertise does the government have to know what those precautions are? Thad Allen was a tool pusher back in the day? I'm thinking, no.

Were you also one of the people attacking the Obama administration for not jumping on the problem sooner, then?
WHY ISNT GOVERNMENT FIXING THIS
and
GOVERNMENT ISNT SMART ENOUGH TO FIX THIS
are not easy for me to reconcile, see.

Did it ever occur to you that maybe they are consulting experts in this field?

I doubt that. They haven't listened to any of the experts in the field so far; why start now?

Were you also one of the people attacking the Obama administration for not jumping on the problem sooner, then?
WHY ISNT GOVERNMENT FIXING THIS
and
GOVERNMENT ISNT SMART ENOUGH TO FIX THIS
are not easy for me to reconcile, see.

I've enver said anything about the government killing this well. Go back and read my posts and see what I really said.

I've enver said anything about the government killing this well. Go back and read my posts and see what I really said.

The remark was directed more generally. I've heard both many, many times.

The remark was directed more generally. I've heard both many, many times.

You've never heard me criticize the government for not being more actively involved in killing the well. I've criticized the government for sitting on it's laurels in regards to the oil slick, but not about killing the well.

Back
Top Bottom