• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Set Trump Aside?

Jack Hays

Traveler
Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Should Republican leadership set aside all primary and caucus results, set aside Donald Trump, and start fresh at the Cleveland convention to select a Presidential and a Vice Presidential nominee? This could quite possibly split the GOP and make a Democrat Presidential victory more probable, but it would at least spare the Republicans the dishonor of nominating Trump. And yes, it would be possible within the party's rules. If Paul Ryan and Mitch McConnell were to decide on such a course of action, a Presidential campaign season already the strangest in my experience would enter more uncharted territory. Your thoughts?

Should Republican leadership set aside all primary and caucus results, set aside Donald Trump, and start fresh at the Cleveland convention to select a Presidential and a Vice Presidential nominee? This could quite possibly split the GOP and make a Democrat Presidential victory more probable, but it would at least spare the Republicans the dishonor of nominating Trump. And yes, it would be possible within the party's rules. If Paul Ryan and Mitch McConnell were to decide on such a course of action, a Presidential campaign season already the strangest in my experience would enter more uncharted territory. Your thoughts?

**** no. Go all in behind Trump baby. Let that buffoon burn the GOP down, this is a repeat of how the Whigs died, the GOP needs to die. I'm no longer caring about saving that **** hole of a party. Let it ****ING BURN.

**** no. Go all in behind Trump baby. Let that buffoon burn the GOP down, this is a repeat of how the Whigs died, the GOP needs to die. I'm no longer caring about saving that **** hole of a party. Let it ****ING BURN.

Would you then support the establishment of a new party?

I doubt the GOP leadership wants Trump to win the election. My guess is they think it isn't worth the damage it could do to the party. At the same time they don't want to lose all Trump's supporters.

My guess is they will give Trump lukewarm support while condemning the more outlandish things he says, accept the loss this election, obstruct Hillary while she is in office, continue to investigate her and have hearings, and regroup for the 2020 election.

I doubt the GOP leadership wants Trump to win the election. My guess is they think it isn't worth the damage it could do to the party. At the same time they don't want to lose all Trump's supporters.

My guess is they will give Trump lukewarm support while condemning the more outlandish things he says, accept the loss this election, obstruct Hillary while she is in office, continue to investigate her and have hearings, and regroup for the 2020 election.

I would not be surprised if they stabbed Trump in the back and did an October surprise of their own against him. This race is going to be ferocious and bring the worst out in people. We are gona wish it was just ugly.

I would personally like to see the Democrats and the Republicans both splinter. The two-party system has led us to this point, why should we follow it any further?

Single member district elections will almost always produce two party politics.

Eh...Trump isn't really more dishonorable than the Democrats nominating Hillary, maybe even better. The problem is, and this has always been the case, liberals are much better at PR and shutting down and marginalizing dissent.

Party leaders are saying that Trump has 2-3 weeks to get it together and stop saying stupid things. I think you've hit the nail on the head and that they are thinking exactly this. Funny, who was saying that there would be an open convention right up until the very last day?? Kasich... There are theories out there that Trump never intended to win himself and is kind of flailing now because he doesn't know what to do next and that might explain the current chaos.

There's the matter of the Constitution.

I know it's a really big change, and it's almost certainly never going to happen, but I do think that we need to overhaul some aspects of our elections, such as the electoral college. The founders made a good system, but they never expected it to be perfect. Hence, a more perfect union.

This is a ridiculous suggestion.

The Supreme Court nominations are at stake here.
You don't divide the party when that is the issue.
Especially when the Presumptive Nominee's voters are likely to walk away from voting if you don't stick with him.

It would certainly fit my position on the quality of the candidate. I am not sure it would strengthen the trust in the party among the trumpites and that is seemingly a rather large number.

I know it's a really big change, and it's almost certainly never going to happen, but I do think that we need to overhaul some aspects of our elections, such as the electoral college. The founders made a good system, but they never expected it to be perfect. Hence, a more perfect union.

Really? I actually like the Elctoral College.

Looking at the final primaries, Trump is taking all the states with 75-80% of the vote. Republicans are still coming to the polls in large number - to vote for Trump. There are clear protest votes available if the voters were rejecting him, but they haven't been taken.

Trump will go into the convention with a record number of votes, a record number of bound delegates.

That sounds a rather rational position.

The GOP doesn't need to die. It just needs to be destroyed, then, like a phoenix, rise from the ashes and become again what it once was.

It would certainly fit my position on the quality of the candidate. I am not sure it would strengthen the trust in the party among the trumpites and that is seemingly a rather large number.

Trust would have to be won another day.

Back
Top Bottom