• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Set Trump Aside?

Would you then support the establishment of a new party?

Why do we need a new party? The American people have proven they are too ****ing stupid to handle two parties, we need "The Party" with various candidates competing to see which can offer the masses the most free ****. The "conservative" party just nominated a big government, self identifying democrat... and the masses of stupid cheered.

The GOP doesn't need to die. It just needs to be destroyed, then, like a phoenix, rise from the ashes and become again what it once was.

A cowering marginalized minority party that rarely did anything and occasionally got a President elected?

A cowering marginalized minority party that rarely did anything and occasionally got a President elected?

I strongly disagree. Ike's administration oversaw the greatest prosperity America ever had, and Reagan's policies almost single-handedly destroyed the Soviet Union. And, even though Nixon turned out to be a crook, he did some great things too, such as creating the EPA.

I believe that the GOP's new slogan should be "Make the Republican Party great again". If they ever manage to do that, I will be one of the first to return to the fold. I miss what it once was. The GOP CAN do great things again. They just need to get back on track, and away from their present disastrous course.

I strongly disagree. Ike's administration oversaw the greatest prosperity America ever had, and Reagan's policies almost single-handedly destroyed the Soviet Union. And, even though Nixon turned out to be a crook, he did some great things too, such as creating the EPA.

I believe that the GOP's new slogan should be "Make the Republican Party great again". If they ever manage to do that, I will be one of the first to return to the fold. I miss what it once was. The GOP CAN do great things again. They just need to get back on track, and away from their present disastrous course.

The EPA is a terrible thing. TERRIBLE. But you and I disagree on how much Government should control and destroy wealth.

The EPA is a terrible thing. TERRIBLE. But you and I disagree on how much Government should control and destroy wealth.

And go back to the way things were? I remember those days. I remember when the Detroit River actually caught on fire.

The GOP doesn't need to die. It just needs to be destroyed, then, like a phoenix, rise from the ashes and become again what it once was.

If they would flush out all the religious kooks and the hillbillies, it would be more attractive.

And go back to the way things were? I remember those days. I remember when the Detroit River actually caught on fire.

"I remember when something bad happened, thank GOD Government was there to fix it! If only we had more Government all the time, it could fix EVERYTHING!!!

"I remember when something bad happened, thank GOD Government was there to fix it! If only we had more Government all the time, it could fix EVERYTHING!!!

But....it did.

Did it really? Are the good outweighing the bad? Bureaucracies tend to grow and grow and grow... The EPA needs to be neutered.

But, it did.

Should Republican leadership set aside all primary and caucus results, set aside Donald Trump, and start fresh at the Cleveland convention to select a Presidential and a Vice Presidential nominee? This could quite possibly split the GOP and make a Democrat Presidential victory more probable, but it would at least spare the Republicans the dishonor of nominating Trump. And yes, it would be possible within the party's rules. If Paul Ryan and Mitch McConnell were to decide on such a course of action, a Presidential campaign season already the strangest in my experience would enter more uncharted territory. Your thoughts?

The very fact that you have a primary process that the leadership of a party can set aside a result that they don't like, and still abide by the rules, tells us a lot about the level of and commitment to democracy within that party.

Should Republican leadership set aside all primary and caucus results, set aside Donald Trump, and start fresh at the Cleveland convention to select a Presidential and a Vice Presidential nominee? This could quite possibly split the GOP and make a Democrat Presidential victory more probable, but it would at least spare the Republicans the dishonor of nominating Trump . And yes, it would be possible within the party's rules. If Paul Ryan and Mitch McConnell were to decide on such a course of action, a Presidential campaign season already the strangest in my experience would enter more uncharted territory. Your thoughts?

Do you think that the GOP could survive the dishonor of invalidating the votes of tens of millions of Americans who chose Trump over those other stale candidates?

Should Republican leadership set aside all primary and caucus results, set aside Donald Trump, and start fresh at the Cleveland convention to select a Presidential and a Vice Presidential nominee? This could quite possibly split the GOP and make a Democrat Presidential victory more probable, but it would at least spare the Republicans the dishonor of nominating Trump. And yes, it would be possible within the party's rules. If Paul Ryan and Mitch McConnell were to decide on such a course of action, a Presidential campaign season already the strangest in my experience would enter more uncharted territory. Your thoughts?

It would be the honorable thing for the Republicans to do, Jack.

I think it is the thing Donald Trump himself it aiming for...I think HE DOES NOT want to be president.

What I am dreading is the next four years...when the Republicans continue what they have been doing for the last eight...except in Superman mode.

I can only hope one of the houses of congress falls to the Dems also...or we are going to get gridlock of a sort never before seen.

Eh. They CAN, I suppose. I still think that our two-party system needs to be replaced entirely.

Funny. I like it better than the multi party systems I know. The two-party system seems to encourage more and wider dialog within the parties and allow the replacement of politicians ie their focus adapting more quickly to changing situations. In the multi-party systems there is a tendency for positions and persons to become entrenched, which can be very hinder-some.

Funny. I like it better than the multi party systems I know. The two-party system seems to encourage more and wider dialog within the parties and allow the replacement of politicians ie their focus adapting more quickly to changing situations. In the multi-party systems there is a tendency for positions and persons to become entrenched, which can be very hinder-some.

Dialogue within the two parties might be better, but I am certain that the dialogue between them is far worse. American politics are far too polarized for my taste.

I would personally like to see the Democrats and the Republicans both splinter. The two-party system has led us to this point, why should we follow it any further?

It's not the Republican Party that is at issue, it's the system. if there was ever an instance that showed it is defective, Trump is it.

Where a third party has always failed in the US is because they go for the top job, the White House. Even if an "outsider" (Jimmy Carter) gets elected, he can't get much done with resistance from both parties.

What needs to happen is a return to grass roots. Start electing *responsible* people whose work will become popular. For a reference see Reform Party of Canada....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reform_Party_of_Canada

Trust would have to be won another day.

The GOP has desperately needed a better PR campaign for the last twenty years. Maybe now they are actually willing to admit it to themselves, finally.

Dialogue within the two parties might be better, but I am certain that the dialogue between them is far worse. American politics are far too polarized for my taste.

That is a fact. I seem to tend towards thinking that the electorate is having a problem telling the populism from the rational arguments.

Back
Top Bottom