• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Serving jail time because of infecting people with an STD (is it right?)

Hypersonic

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
Thread is largely inspired by the following link:

Police: HIV-positive man may have exposed 300 partners

I am little torn on this because with the current rates of STI contractions, a lot of research has gone into the relationship between an STI and drug/alcohol abuse which leads to wreckless sex. Now in the article the man is likely to serve jail time, but I have to ask

"What about other STI's?"Like pubic lice (Crabs), Syphilis, Gonorrhea, or Herpes Simplex 2?

I've heard the "deadly STD" argument which falls short since there have been studies on the life expectancy of HIV/AIDS patients as a longer life expectancy and with the advancement of medication to treat HIV/AIDS. I personally feel that if someone who knowingly gives someone Herpes Simplex-2, then like those who serve time infecting people with HIV/AIDS, people ought to serve time as well.

But then we get into the argument of those with treatable diseases like Syphilis, and Gonorrhea, where do we also punish people who knowingly have treatable STI's or do we determine on the basis of bacterial infection versus viral infection?

If its fatal, and you are irresponsibly passing it around, then I have no trouble seeing you locked up and the key tossed. He might as well be a serial killer x 300

It is attempted murder and should be prosecuted accordingly.

I am little torn on this because with the current rates of STI contractions, a lot of research has gone into the relationship between an STI and drug/alcohol abuse which leads to wreckless sex. Now in the article the man is likely to serve jail time, but I have to ask

"What about other STI's?"Like pubic lice (Crabs), Syphilis, Gonorrhea, or Herpes Simplex 2?

I've heard the "deadly STD" argument which falls short since there have been studies on the life expectancy of HIV/AIDS patients as a longer life expectancy and with the advancement of medication to treat HIV/AIDS. I personally feel that if someone who knowingly gives someone Herpes Simplex-2, then like those who serve time infecting people with HIV/AIDS, people ought to serve time as well.

But then we get into the argument of those with treatable diseases like Syphilis, and Gonorrhea, where do we also punish people who knowingly have treatable STI's or do we determine on the basis of bacterial infection versus viral infection?
If the person infecting someone knew before hand that they were infected or a carrier and they didn't tell their partner they should be punished.

It is attempted murder and should be prosecuted accordingly.

Are you talking about situations where someone knows they have an STD but doesn't tell their partner? If so, that seems a little extreme because some STD's aren't lethal. I agree they should be punished, but I don't know about that charge. I think there should a charge specific to this rather than throwing it into another charge. How about "spreading infectious disease sexually" as in SIDS.

Are you talking about situations where someone knows they have an STD but doesn't tell their partner? If so, that seems a little extreme because some STD's aren't lethal. I agree they should be punished, but I don't know about that charge. I think there should a charge specific to this rather than throwing it into another charge. How about "spreading infectious disease sexually" as in SIDS.

The article was about a man with HIV and that (to me) is attempted murder.

Less serious STDs are attempted assault.

If you did it knowingly, absolutely. How is that any different, especially in the case of HIV, than going around and randomly putting poison in people's food?

The article was about a man with HIV and that (to me) is attempted murder.

Less serious STDs are attempted assault.
Or HIV could be a first degree sids, and lesser infections lesser degrees. This will catch on, you'll see.

Or HIV could be a first degree sids, and lesser infections lesser degrees. This will catch on, you'll see.

I'm sure we will have 2900 pages of law once they get to this. But really, to answer the OP, it is a criminal action to infect other people with your disease. If I had TB and tongue kissed you (I won't) it would be equally evil.

I'm sure we will have 2900 pages of law once they get to this. But really, to answer the OP, it is a criminal action to infect other people with your disease. If I had TB and tongue kissed you (I won't) it would be equally evil.
Of course. I would rather be assaulted conventionally than be assaulted with herpes.

I often wonder about that....If you push a man in the street and he falls and injure himself, you are responsible. If you infect a person even with a common cold and that cold put the him down for few days or spins into respiratory infection...aren't you just as responsible? I often jest at work that part the fun of having flu is to see how many people you can infect! But lately with SARS and Bird Flue and what not, people are far more aware and paranoid about getting sick. And a person who willingly and knowingly comes to public places and jeopardized the public... should he or she be somehow punished? I realize the justice system is not equip the deal with these cases and beside how do you prove beyond reasonable doubt?

Now... in Asia it is common courtesy to wear a mask if you feel you are sick and need to come to work or be in a public place...this hasn't really caught on in US (pun intended), but I think it will

Diving Mullah

If someone knows s/he has an STD and has sex with another person not saying so, it should be treated as felony criminal assault. If fully curable, a lower level. If not curable, but not lethal or dehabilitating, a middle grade. If deadly, incurable and dehabilitating? A capital offense, 1st degree no different than murder.

In fact, since that victim does not know s/he has been infected, in a sense it is serial assault and serial murder.

If someone was HIV/AIDS positive, knew it, had sex with another person and didn't tell that person first - and that could be proven - I would have no problem on a jury ruling for the death penalty.

I often wonder about that....If you push a man in the street and he falls and injure himself, you are responsible. If you infect a person even with a common cold and that cold put the him down for few days or spins into respiratory infection...aren't you just as responsible? I often jest at work that part the fun of having flu is to see how many people you can infect! But lately with SARS and Bird Flue and what not, people are far more aware and paranoid about getting sick. And a person who willingly and knowingly comes to public places and jeopardized the public... should he or she be somehow punished? I realize the justice system is not equip the deal with these cases and beside how do you prove beyond reasonable doubt?

Now... in Asia it is common courtesy to wear a mask if you feel you are sick and need to come to work or be in a public place...this hasn't really caught on in US (pun intended), but I think it will

Diving Mullah

Interesting. It is hard to find people with common courtesy who have common flu and colds. You know especially in the work force we admonish people for calling in sick and seem to praise people who come in sick.

If someone knows s/he has an STD and has sex with another person not saying so, it should be treated as felony criminal assault. If fully curable, a lower level. If not curable, but not lethal or dehabilitating, a middle grade. If deadly, incurable and dehabilitating? A capital offense, 1st degree no different than murder.

In fact, since that victim does not know s/he has been infected, in a sense it is serial assault and serial murder.

If someone was HIV/AIDS positive, knew it, had sex with another person and didn't tell that person first - and that could be proven - I would have no problem on a jury ruling for the death penalty.

(In my Cenk Uygur voice) "DAMN!"

Back
Top Bottom