• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Server busy

That's been what I've been finding. Anytime I search for "thanked" posts, the site stalls. If I use advanced search and make it too specific, the site stalls. A few other things are periodic, but those are consistent.

Find that one! :2wave:

Yep. Been happenin' a LOT here lately.

Just checkin' in, how has it been running?

I've turned off the enhanced searching that mods could do previously.

We are now using a new search engine called "sphinx". Please let me know your mileage. There are a few things it cannot do, but it makes up in speed and resources.

Let me know.

*yawn* I'm tired.

We are now using a new search engine called "sphinx". Please let me know your mileage. There are a few things it cannot do, but it makes up in speed and resources.

Let me know.

*yawn* I'm tired.

So far so good. What can it not do?

# Can't sort posts by title, number of replies/views, thread start date, last reply date (Sphinx doesn't have this data).*
# "Find Threads with At Least/Most X Replies" doesn't work when "Search Entire Posts"

I don't want to try it since I don't want anything to crash, but how is tomorrow expected to be with the holiday?

lol, hopefully not exciting tomorrow. :)

# Can't sort posts by title, number of replies/views, thread start date, last reply date (Sphinx doesn't have this data).*
# "Find Threads with At Least/Most X Replies" doesn't work when "Search Entire Posts"

That's OK... nothing too serious.

Only glitch I've found so far is if I do an Admin Panel search, the site hangs... inconsistently. Everything else seems to be good.

I just did a search of my posts. No problem there.

Then I did a search of basement posts with my name. As usual, no threads were found (though I know that my name has been posted in there). Also, kind of a strange message.

"The following errors occurred with your search:

1. Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms. %1$s"

That's OK... nothing too serious.

Only glitch I've found so far is if I do an Admin Panel search, the site hangs... inconsistently. Everything else seems to be good.
Would you PM exactly what you are doing/searching?

Thanks! :)

I just did a search of my posts. No problem there.

Then I did a search of basement posts with my name. As usual, no threads were found (though I know that my name has been posted in there). Also, kind of a strange message.

"The following errors occurred with your search:

1. Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms. %1$s"
The basement is turned off for searching, so I can understand the cryptic error. Kind of confusing though. I'll see what I can do. Thanks for the heads up. :)

The 'thanks' button is gone.

I can live without that. I navigate by checking User CP and new posts, and then checking into the basement to see if anything is new there.

So far, so good on the conversion back to the older software. :)

This is the longest it has gone (since last Wednesday) without a server busy error.

*knocks on head*

Everything is loading much quicker here.

Search actually seems to be working much better for me.

Entire forum is working smoothly. Thanks a ton vauge.

No problems at all since I've been on... about 3 hrs. Search is great and pages are loading quite well.

Methinks the last vB update somehow conflicted with our setup.

It’s the best its been all week…of course today is Monday. :2wave:

No problems at all since I've been on... about 3 hrs. Search is great and pages are loading quite well.

Methinks the last vB update somehow conflicted with our setup.

Awesome. :mrgreen:

The update was actually with the Linux server software, not vB. For some reason the new apache was creating a bottleneck at strange intervals making it seem like something external was causing the issue. The most activity we have from any single source is search engine spiders. So we naturally looked at them first. In the meantime, we had to repair the database 4 times.

We probably didn't need the new search, but I like it. It is *very* fast. We even changed the search to every 15 seconds from 30. Rev should be happy. lol

The update was actually with the Linux server software, not vB. For some reason the new apache was creating a bottleneck at strange intervals making it seem like something external was causing the issue. The most activity we have from any single source is search engine spiders. So we naturally looked at them first. In the meantime, we had to repair the database 4 times.

We probably didn't need the new search, but I like it. It is *very* fast. We even changed the search to every 15 seconds from 30. Rev should be happy. lol

Thank you kindly sir for all the hard work on essentially our behalf. Thanks also to those who helped you with this.

If I were in your position I would have let the server rot. :)

Kidding, of course.

Back
Top Bottom