• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Server busy

Thank goodness I found this thread. I was beginning to worry that this might be the norm around here. :(
I've been here a long time and the current server problem is unprecedented. It's never happened before on this scale and with this persistence.

There's a bug/problem somewhere in the server software/hardware. Both facets are being painstakingly examined.

I've been here a long time and the current server problem is unprecedented. It's never happened before on this scale and with this persistence.

There's a bug/problem somewhere in the server software/hardware. Both facets are being painstakingly examined.

It is really terrible. I have resorted to hanging out at PF and pissing off hacks.

Well, maybe it's not so terrible. :twisted:

LOL

Well I've found some small issues and corrected them.

However, 'something' is causing the system software to stop everything every now and then. Unsure, but I think it is hardware related as I cannot find any evidence something is wrong.

We have several top server guys looking at it right now. Sorry no answers, but more hurry and wait. :(

That 'something' wouldn't be Agna, would it? :shock:
PF got hacked a few days ago. I also just got a 'server busy' signal over there.

three days now, I've been having the problem, but just got the notice. Takes forever to load anything.

Maybe it has something to do with 1 billion Chinese people pinging the server every 5 minutes.

Again, please accept my appolgies. I know this is getting old, but we are indeed working on this.

It's been much much better tonight vauge.

Again, please accept my appolgies. I know this is getting old, but we are indeed working on this.

**** happens. We will mostly grumble and gripe cuz we are frustrated, but we know you are busting your ass trying to get it fixed for us.

It's a slight inconvenience and a chance for everyone to learn a little patience. This too will pass.

It's a slight inconvenience and a chance for everyone to learn a little patience. This too will pass.

I am too old to learn things like patients. I will swear alot(not at anyone, just generic swearing cuz it makes me feel better), and then get over it. Considering the cost to use this board, it is still a great value, and vague and the mod team deserve thanks, even when things go a little bad.

I was getting a database error about half an hour ago. Anyone else?

I'm not sure if anyone else has seen this pattern, but this is what I've seen. Any searches cause a slowdown, especially if you search for posts or thanked posts. Responding to a few posts within a short period of time also causes a slowdown.

A workaround that I have found is that if your browser "hangs", try to open another "tab" with the DP homepage. This sometimes clears things.

I'm not sure if anyone else has seen this pattern, but this is what I've seen. Any searches cause a slowdown, especially if you search for posts or thanked posts. Responding to a few posts within a short period of time also causes a slowdown.

A workaround that I have found is that if your browser "hangs", try to open another "tab" with the DP homepage. This sometimes clears things.

The tab thing does not work for me, though leaving the site and coming back does more often than not. The pattern I notice is that once you are back in, it is good for about 7 or 8 pageviews, then dies.

On another forum that I was a part of, they made the search option only available to paid members. It may be an option worth considering.

On another forum that I was a part of, they made the search option only available to paid members. It may be an option worth considering.

That may be an option and is reasonable, but I hope we do not need to go that direction.

After reviewing a metric ton of logs, it seems that bing becomes a wee bit greedy every few minutes. The crazy part is that it seems to be on a timer so we were looking in other directions. Anyway, we have updated our robots.txt file to tell them to slow the ef down. Unfortunately, we cannot force bing to re-download the new preferences so we are at bing's mercy until they do.

*crossed fingers*

Just wanted to vent...This server busy thing is really annoying. It makes the site very difficult to use.

I am starting to wonder if it is a traffic problem and people hitting as hard as they can just to cause problems. I have saw that happen on other boards.

Just wanted to vent...This server busy thing is really annoying. It makes the site very difficult to use.
I could not agree more. :(

I am starting to wonder if it is a traffic problem and people hitting as hard as they can just to cause problems. I have saw that happen on other boards.
There may be truth to that, but so far not much evidence of it.

Sorry for lack of replies. I am working on it. Slowly we are putting search spiders in our firewall to find the correct recipe to get back to normal.

Well, I'm glad that the reasons for the server slow-down are becoming more clear. Thanks for all your hard work, Vague.

If it wasn't the search engines, I was going to ask if perhaps the database server was being hammered.

Searching has been turned off temporarily.

I have a place I need to be. This evening we will continue to troubleshoot, however it looks like specific searches are causing the underlying issue.

Continuing to monitor, will be back in a few.

I have a place I need to be. This evening we will continue to troubleshoot, however it looks like specific searches are causing the underlying issue.

That's been what I've been finding. Anytime I search for "thanked" posts, the site stalls. If I use advanced search and make it too specific, the site stalls. A few other things are periodic, but those are consistent.

Back
Top Bottom