• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Seriously, was I wrong for saying this ...?

Leo

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
We had an end-of-year bash at school, and I had to say a few words into the mike. In the course of a short speech, I introduced our Latin master with these words: "And now, Mr****** who sadly, can be with us tonight ..."

It broke the hall up, but I was taken aside by the house master afterwards, and told that I had been publicly disrespectful towards one of my teachers, and that he was very disappointed in me. Wtf??? :unsure13:

Does anyone here agree with him? (Our Latin master, who also takes French, is a total berk, BTW.)

We had an end-of-year bash at school, and I had to say a few words into the mike. In the course of a short speech, I introduced our Latin master with these words: "And now, Mr****** who sadly, can be with us tonight ..."

It broke the hall up, but I was taken aside by the house master afterwards, and told that I had been publicly disrespectful towards one of my teachers, and that he was very disappointed in me. Wtf??? :unsure13:

Does anyone here agree with him? (Our Latin master, who also takes French, is a total berk, BTW.)

Actually, it sounds humerous and depending on the kind of event it was, it could have been appropriate...if roasting is an accepted part of the tradition. If not, if it was an otherwise serious event, you embarrassed him and it was inappropriate. Making jokes at the expense of others is often inappropriate. Since the house master took the time to take you aside and reprimand you, I'd say your comments were inappropriate. Just a lapse in judgment. Nothing to get all upset about.

The only way he could have got upset, would have depended on how you said it.

Otherwise, he's just being a jerkoff.

Unless you knew your teacher was lacking a sense of humor, you did nothing wrong, in my opinion.
If he was the one disappointed in you, he should have been the one to talk to you. Maybe you should apologize to him personally.
Also, Is it possible the house master was putting words in his mouth?
Oh wait... I just read it again. It's the house master you disappointed?

The mistake you made was in your realization that your latin master is a jerk, but trying to roast him anyway. The only people you should try that with are those who you think will be good natured about it.

Hmm. Well I get the humor, but I would say this: If the person you had introduced was in fact a well-liked teacher, or one who was very respected but known to be very strict, the humor would be the better for being ironic. Like calling a tall guy "shorty".

If, as you say, the Latin teacher is a jerk, then your humor wasn't really humor, it was "truth". Jerks are not fond of hearing the truth about themselves. :mrgreen:

On the whole though, I wouldn't sweat it, unless some disciplinary action is involved.

I wouldn't sweat it, unless some disciplinary action is involved.

In which cse, I just hope they are one of the more traditional schools, and so call in a proper mistress for the occasion.

Most humor is at someone else's expense. I'd apologize and see what he says. He should say, no big deal in MHO.

Back
Top Bottom