• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Seniors of DP, what advice you have for us youngsters?

Rainman05

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
I'm talking about everyone 50+ . And I know, you're only as old as you feel :). I don't mean anything by it, just looking for advice and words of wisdom from people with a lot of experience in life.

So what advice do you dear seniors have to give us youngsters (say, under 30; srry people who are in between :p).

The main thing to do for a long life, is not to die unless you absolutely must.

The main thing to do for a long life, is not to die unless you absolutely must.

That reminds me of an elderly woman that I used to see when I worked in home health about 15 years ago. I went to do her initial assessment and admission for home health services. She was 95 years old at the time, and still perfectly coherent and oriented, and independently mobile, and even still worked in her garden. I smiled and asked her what her secret to longevity was, to which she replied, "Well, I don't smoke, I don't drink, and I try to eat right, because I don't want to die unless it absolutely necessary". :lol:

I'm talking about everyone 50+ . And I know, you're only as old as you feel :). I don't mean anything by it, just looking for advice and words of wisdom from people with a lot of experience in life.

So what advice do you dear seniors have to give us youngsters (say, under 30; srry people who are in between :p).

Try to eventually find the mental and emotional place where you are good with being yourself, and you honestly believe that you owe no one an apology for being who you are. It's not easy in a world where so many only seek conformity to their own standards.

I'm a female in my late 50's. Divorced. Have worked all of my adult life. Here's a couple of tips about work and money and retirement. But the truth is, most young people can't relate to my stage of life until they get closer to it. I know I couldn't, when I was young. But here you go:

There will come a time when you will be worn down by your work, even if you like it. You will start recognizing that your life is closer to the end than it is to the beginning. You will start to think about the meaning of your life, what you want to do, etc. And your physical body will start to break down gradually. Maybe not much. But it will happen. So, as the saying goes...may hay while you can.

Work. Spend your young, healthy years working your butt off. (This is after you've had your children, gotten your education, etc.) Work all the hours and put forth all the effort necessary to do a good job, stay with your employer long enough to get good tenure raises, and get the best benefits. Benefits and raises snowball.

There will come a time when you are physically or mentally unable to get those big bucks, so do it while you are young.

There will come a time when you are not as desirable in the work place, so take advantage of your age and energy while you have it...use that to get good jobs, raises & benefits.

SAVE SAVE SAVE. If you get a bonus...don't spend the whole thing. SAVE SAVE SAVE.

Don't get a new smartphone if your old one is working just fine. SAVE that money instead.

Read some basic investment books. You should know the basics of investing, if only to direct your 401K. I am shocked by how many people don't know anything about the funds in their 401ks. You don't have to become a financial wizard. But finances are key to happy life (among other things of course). You NEED to know what a mutual fund is, what a security is, what a bond is, what an expense ratio is, etc.

Speaking of 401ks...when applying for jobs, PLEASE pay attention to the company's retirement benefits. How much a company contributes toward your retirement is as important as the salary it offers, besides speaking volumes about how they view their employees. If a company will pay you $50,000, and provide a 401k but will not contribute to it (just you can), vs. a company that will pay you $48,000 and provide a 401K that will contribute 5% matching into a 401k....you should recognize that if you stay with that company for years, you will come out thousands of dollars ahead by taking the lower salary job (all other things being equal).

Just because you have the money does NOT mean you can afford to take a trip to Europe.

Debt is your enemy. It should be rare and paid off asap.

My #1 rule has been: I don't charge anything I don't have the cash for at the time. Charging was for convenience only, and not a way to buy something I couldn't afford.

If you don't have the money for something, that means you can't afford it. There is no shame in that. It's a source of pride to know what you can and cannot afford. None of us can afford everything we want.

Don't smoke. As a former smoker I can verify that it is addictive, costs a fortune, turns your teeth yellow, saps your body of vitamins & oxygen, and will make the cost of health ins. higher for you, as well as limit your job opportunities.

Last edited:
th

:ssst:..... I heard some old senior guys talking.
shifty.gif
They were saying something about not confusing their wives perfume for Ben Gay ever again. :shock:

Live beneath your means.

Edit:

Buy a good 2-year-old car and maintain it like it's your baby. It'll last ten years easy. Bank the car payments you're not making.

Buy a modest home and work toward paying it off once you have six-months' income in the bank. When you have a mortgage at 4.5% and you're earning .25% in the bank? The way to earn 4.5% on your money is to pay down your mortgage.

Use a revolving charge account for emergencies only. Otherwise, pay off your charge account purchases every month. Why shop all over the place for a sale on your computer, charge it, and then pay 29.5% MORE for it because you don't pay it off?

Don't break the law. Don't get traffic tickets. Make up your mind you're good for 4 mph over the limit and don't exceed it. You'll save $$ on tickets . . . you'll save money on insurance . . . and, who knows? You may save money on the deductible in the accidents you'll avoid.

Buy moderate. Don't buy cheap. You get what you pay for.

Don't buy every new gadget. Resist a new cellphone every two years. It's a toy . . . you know it's a toy . . . and you've got better things to do with that money.

I'll think of more, but that's a good start.

Last edited:

How young are you? I just turned 19 so I bet I am pretty close to the youngest on here.

I'm pretty young, but I heard a great quote that went "Happiness is not a destination, it's a process". I'm not sure who said though.

How young are you? I just turned 19 so I bet I am pretty close to the youngest on here.

I'm a wee bit older than you, I'm 23.

I am going to go a bit against the grain...would suggest that you enjoy yourself a bit as you go, maybe take a year off...take those trips while you are young, healthy and able, learn from travel, learn from everything, keep an open mind. My father did a bit of that, but at age 55 was stricken with Parkinson-ism...drained him of almost every cent and he lived a long but fairly miserable rest of his life...I learned from his misfortune...do things you can only do when you are young when you are young still, enjoy, they cannot take your experiences away, it will make you happier and more reflective, make you appreciate what you have and not what you have not, especially here in the USofA, where we all have so much relatively...

When working, work hard and smart... stay away from complainers, they are just trying to slow the rest of us down, don't beat yourself up over decisions, just make the decisions the best you know how...

Oh, and do go rather soon to one of the don't fund obamacare sites and sign the petition... I mean unless you want the federal government controlling you and your body all the rest of your life.:peace

Forgo the new phones and gizmos and instead put 1-200 dollars a month away in a safe mutual fund. 20 years from now (I know it sems like an eternity at this age, but it's not) you'll likely not be struggling as all your high school chums are.

Realize that enjoyment and fun don't have to break your bank.

Hmmm. I've still got a couple years before I meet your definition of senior citizen, but I'll throw out a few:

1. Forgive others and let it go. That doesn't mean giving them another chance necessarily, just that bitterness and grudges do you no good.

2. Try not to do things that are going to be hard to live with later, no matter how tempting. They come back to haunt you.

3. Make some time for enjoyment amid all the work and worry.

4. Serving others is one of the most fulfilling things in life, especially when done in love. At the same time, don't forget to look out for yourself too.

5. The best defense is not to offend.

1. Don't refer to anyone under 65 as a senior.

2. Keep your options open. If you can make it to your mid-twenties with a degree, no criminal record, no addictions, no children, no debt, and no face or neck tattoos, you will be able to do almost anything with your life. Otherwise your options will be limited.

3. Sometimes getting what you want is as easy asking for it. Let people know what you want, they might want to give it to you.

4. Reputation and connections matter. Be nice and helpful and do good work.

5. As soon as you can, learn how to concentrate and complete a task on time. It is a skill that takes practice.

6. Learn how to interact with people effectively as soon as you can. It is a skill that takes practice. Practice talking to all sorts of people. If you aren't good at it and confident: fake being confident!

7. Learn how to find information and teach yourself new skills and learn how to tell the difference between good and bad information.

8. Do physical things that you might not be able to do when you are older (or after an accident) while you can.

9. Develop good habits, especially with exercise and nutrition. It won't get any easier later.

10. Moderation in all things, including moderation.

11. Don't let unnecessary fear keep you from taking advantage of an opportunity.

12. Have fun and don't take life too seriously. Its only temporary.

Last edited:
1. Strive first to be comfortable in your own skin.

2. Learn patience and tolerance; choose your battles wisely, but when necessary stand up for yourself and for what you believe is right.

3. Value hard work and live frugally. That doesn't mean deprive yourself of enjoyment and treats, it means squirrel money away... as much as possible, as soon as possible... first for that unexpected "rainy day", continuing on toward the time when your income will dwindle and your physical ability to earn will diminish. A small fortune to a person of 30 will be a pittance due to inflation when that same person hits 60.

4. Never, ever sweat the small stuff. Become the person you would want to spend time with, not the person you would avoid.

5. Only when you are content with yourself are you ready to share your life with another, and wise enough to recognize a compatible soul when you meet one.

6. Never stop learning, never stop pursuing your interests, find joy in the sweet moments in life; it will sustain you through the hard times.

Don't believe everything you read, see or hear. Think for yourself.

Don't read reddit so much. ;)

i just browse reddit, don't usually read it. It's a good source of info on world events and what's going on, but to sit through the comments and read them one... bah, i'd rather chop my arm off. It's much better to see what people on DP have to say :D

Back
Top Bottom