• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Seniors of DP, what advice you have for us youngsters?

First let me define two kinds of hope.

The first is based in your faith in another. For instance, your upstanding grandfather tells you that he has left you a goodly sum in his will. Having "hope" in that promise is all well and good, again based in the character of your grandfather. I'll call this Greater Hope.

The more common usage, refers to little more than wishful thinking and self delusion. I'll call this Lesser Hope.

I abjure you to eschew Lesser Hope. Try not to even say "I hope that the weather is good for the picnic." If the weather is important to your plans, plan for the various possibilities. Hope is a waste of time and energy, as sets one up for endless, corrosive disappointments.

Accept that things tend towards chaos and evil, and that people as a global whole are vile more often than they are enlightened and just. If you'd have things otherwise in your own life, recognize that great effort will be required to make such things a transitory reality. Nothing will mark you as prey for the legions of nefarious people on this planet more readily than and optimistic outlook full of baseless Lesser Hope.

Nature is definitely hostile towards Lesser Hopes. Most of the cute fuzzy baby things she makes she feeds to things like maggots and bacteria, which she makes in far greater numbers.

You might have been corrupted by destructive modern, I suppose that we must call it "thinking," in which overweight and under-disicplined children are given colorful pablum about the "need for hope" to make life bearable. Nonsense. Nature gives us many gifts that make life bearable, most notably instinctive terror of the alternative and the suffering attendant upon its acquisition.

So you might be wondering what could fill the void left by a mature rejection of Lesser Hope in all its insidious forms. Fortunately, I have found an answer. Look about you. Consider your fellow human beings. Their trials. Their needs. Their potentials. Their plots. Their Greed. Their pettiness. Their indolence. Their many hatreds. The tiny amount of motivation that it would require for many of them to nail your door shut in the night and burn your house down with you and your family trapped inside. Live for spite.

(It is possible that I'm being sarcastic. Then again, maybe not.)

Last edited:
I'm talking about everyone 50+ . And I know, you're only as old as you feel :). I don't mean anything by it, just looking for advice and words of wisdom from people with a lot of experience in life.

So what advice do you dear seniors have to give us youngsters (say, under 30; srry people who are in between :p).

We use to go visit family up in NY, and they were retired. Well everyday they got up at like 5am or so; so I asked the man why he got up so early. Well he said, "So I can goof off longer."

I think there's something to be learned here. :mrgreen:

To the young guys:

Spend all of your money on women, whiskey, and motorcycles. The rest you can just waste.

I'm talking about everyone 50+ . And I know, you're only as old as you feel :). I don't mean anything by it, just looking for advice and words of wisdom from people with a lot of experience in life.

So what advice do you dear seniors have to give us youngsters (say, under 30; srry people who are in between :p).

My advice would be not to grow old because the mess my generation has made of government through waste, debt, out of control entitlement, etc. will mean that you'll never reach an age when you can retire in comfort and you'll either be living in a society that went bankrupt or you'll be paying our debt charges instead of paying for your children's future.

Minimize doing things you will regret because memories don't go away. Take care of yourself through common sense. If it pisses you off avoid it. Get a physical every couple years. When you have read and you are ready to sign it, read it again then sign. Tell the ones you care about you care about them. Spend time outside and concentrate on how great nature is, just sit down and enjoy it. Don't get in a hurry, it will be there when you're ready. Share the good things and analyze the bad things then put them where you decide where they belong. Make some money and make it work for you. Laugh.

I wonder who is the youngest on the dp

th

:ssst:..... I heard some old senior guys talking.
shifty.gif
They were saying something about not confusing their wives perfume for Ben Gay ever again. :shock:

Eventually we all end up smelling like Ben Gay and BO.

1. Strive first to be comfortable in your own skin.

2. Learn patience and tolerance; choose your battles wisely, but when necessary stand up for yourself and for what you believe is right.

3. Value hard work and live frugally. That doesn't mean deprive yourself of enjoyment and treats, it means squirrel money away... as much as possible, as soon as possible... first for that unexpected "rainy day", continuing on toward the time when your income will dwindle and your physical ability to earn will diminish. A small fortune to a person of 30 will be a pittance due to inflation when that same person hits 60.

4. Never, ever sweat the small stuff. Become the person you would want to spend time with, not the person you would avoid.

5. Only when you are content with yourself are you ready to share your life with another, and wise enough to recognize a compatible soul when you meet one.

6. Never stop learning, never stop pursuing your interests, find joy in the sweet moments in life; it will sustain you through the hard times.

First off ignore all this touchy feely gobelty gook. :lol: My advice to young people is start saving for retirement NOW! It gets here faster than you can ever imagine and being able to kick back in your so called declining years is the icing on the cake of life.

Get out of debt asap.
Live below your means
Plan for retirement

with all that enjoy your younger life.

by the way, retirement is great.

Back
Top Bottom