• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Senators push bipartisan bill to crack down on robocalls

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
https://thehill.com/policy/technolo...sh-bipartisan-bill-to-crack-down-on-robocalls

Two senators are pushing a new bipartisan bill to crack down on illegal robocall scams, raising the maximum civil fine for violators to $10,000 per call.

Sens. John Thune (R-S.D.), the current chairman of the Senate Commerce Committee, and Ed Markey (D-Mass.) on Friday unveiled their Telephone Robocall Abuse Criminal Enforcement and Deterrence (TRACED) Act.

=======================================
I'll believe it when I see it.

A Verizon tech suggested I sign up for a new service that blocks many (but not all) robocalls: NoMoRobo (see https://www.nomorobo.com/). It's not perfect but you can't beat FREE for landline phones. Your phone rings just once when it blocks a call. However, it has also blocked calls from my county communications agency & eBay customer service. Besides this service, Verizon (now FiOS) lets you block up to 500 phone numbers if you can figure out how to maneuver their web site.

https://thehill.com/policy/technolo...sh-bipartisan-bill-to-crack-down-on-robocalls

Two senators are pushing a new bipartisan bill to crack down on illegal robocall scams, raising the maximum civil fine for violators to $10,000 per call.

Sens. John Thune (R-S.D.), the current chairman of the Senate Commerce Committee, and Ed Markey (D-Mass.) on Friday unveiled their Telephone Robocall Abuse Criminal Enforcement and Deterrence (TRACED) Act.

A Verizon tech suggested I sign up for a new service that blocks many (but not all) robocalls: NoMoRobo (see https://www.nomorobo.com/). It's not perfect but you can't beat FREE for landline phones. Your phone rings just once when it blocks a call. However, it has also blocked calls from my county communications agency & eBay customer service. Besides this service, Verizon (now FiOS) lets you block up to 500 phone numbers if you can figure out how to maneuver their web site.

1. Well it's a $2:00 per month charge for mobile phones, and since the VAST majority of citizens use mobile phones...

2. I don't see why mobile companies can't devise a similar system to block such calls as part of their normal service.

Doubt it will pass, but it would be nice.

That would be nice. I get calls on my cellphone concerning my credit card and my auto warranty - I have neither a credit card nor a vehicle.

1. Well it's a $2:00 per month charge for mobile phones, and since the VAST majority of citizens use mobile phones...

2. I don't see why mobile companies can't devise a similar system to block such calls as part of their normal service.

Nothing stopping them but you are talking about locking out paying customers, from the telecom's POV.

The government will have to require it of them explicitly. They aren't going to do it for nothing.

I applaud the effort but, the other day, the scammers used the number of some friends of ours to get through. I think they're accessing our contact list.

That would be nice. I get calls on my cellphone concerning my credit card and my auto warranty - I have neither a credit card nor a vehicle.

Yep. I asked one very politely to take me off their list...His answer..."Fat Chance"

Starting to resent their ever being born. 8)

Last edited:
Yep. I asked one very politely to take me off their list...His answer..."Fat Chance"

Starting to resent their ever being born. 8)

Locally they have begun spoofing the Caller ID with local phone numbers & names.

With Verizon, we have it set so that when the phone rings it displays on the TV the name & number of the caller. Pretty neat. Both the phone line & the TV are on the same fiber optic cable.

Now I want a thingy attached to my phone that blocks a) FAX machines & b) UNKNOWN CALLER.

Last edited:
I applaud the effort but, the other day, the scammers used the number of some friends of ours to get through. I think they're accessing our contact list.

Jeez, wow, that's scary and angering at the same time.
I've seen the robocalls get more sophisticated, by mimicking my area code, then my area code + the first 3 number of my phone. Many times the names look real. I have call block on my phone, but they just keep morphing and coming.

Locally they have begun spoofing the Caller ID with local phone numbers & names.

With Verizon, we have it set so that when the phone rings it displays on the TV the name & number of the caller. Pretty neat. Both the phone line & the TV are on the same fiber optic cable.

Now I want a thingy attached to my phone that blocks a) FAX machines & b) UNKNOWN CALLER.

Don't have a landline thx goodness.

There's an app that calls the scammers back thousands of time in a row to keep their lines tied up. Can't think of the name.

Don't have a landline thx goodness.

There's an app that calls the scammers back thousands of time in a row to keep their lines tied up. Can't think of the name.

I like that idea.

Back
Top Bottom