• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Senator Obama may run

I have great respect for the man, he represents my state well, I would vote for him in 08, I think he would be great for this country, and because he is new and inexperienced!

im nt sure honestly if i would vote for him. i didnt like the racially charged comments he has made.

t125eagle said:
im nt sure honestly if i would vote for him. i didnt like the racially charged comments he has made.
Hmm, I've heard good things about him but I've never heard anything about racially charged comments. What exactly did he say?

im about to go eat now. let me do that and then i will look. sorry.

Obama is an empty suit. There's absolutely no way he will win the presidency, much less the nomination. He's great on paper, but has no real shot.

i did do a little bit of research trying to find the article. he might be the real thing, and he seems to be someone willing to be bipartison.

t125eagle said:
my apologies for my earlier statement. i was wrong, i was thinking of Charles Rangel of New York.

i did do a little bit of research trying to find the article. he might be the real thing, and he seems to be someone willing to be bipartison.
Ah ok, thanks for clearing it up. :2razz:

not a problem. i wish i didnt make that mistake!! ouch.

RightatNYU said:
Obama is an empty suit. There's absolutely no way he will win the presidency, much less the nomination. He's great on paper, but has no real shot.

And you have an example of a young politician, or an old one for that matter, that fills one?

I think he will probably end up a vice president first, but to say he will never win, well I have heard that before.

Deegan said:
And you have an example of a young politician, or an old one for that matter, that fills one?

Certainly. McCain, Hillary, Allen, Giuliani...they all have significantly more policy experience, more talent, and the ability to focus their efforts better than Obama. Hell, for all of Kerry's flaws, nobody could claim that he didn't have the knowledge and the experience needed to be President.

I think he will probably end up a vice president first, but to say he will never win, well I have heard that before.

Fair enough, but I've also heard "He can do it!" quite a bit too.

I'm genuinely confused by all the Obama-love that so many people have though.

In practical terms, what has he actually done? Can anyone provide me with any bills that he's sponsored, any policies that he's successfully championed, any wrongs that he's righted? Anything that would indicate he'd be a good president?

RightatNYU said:
Certainly. McCain, Hillary, Allen, Giuliani...they all have significantly more policy experience, more talent, and the ability to focus their efforts better than Obama. Hell, for all of Kerry's flaws, nobody could claim that he didn't have the knowledge and the experience needed to be President.

Fair enough, but I've also heard "He can do it!" quite a bit too.

I'm genuinely confused by all the Obama-love that so many people have though.

In practical terms, what has he actually done? Can anyone provide me with any bills that he's sponsored, any policies that he's successfully championed, any wrongs that he's righted? Anything that would indicate he'd be a good president?

These are all folks stuck in the past, we need fresh legs, we don't need to continue to talk about the Vietnam era, and that is certainly what McCain and Kerry bring to the table. I also think a black man as president will bring us a step forward, something that may not serve an international goal, but certainly one we need here. If we are honestly going to go in another direction, and kick the bums out, let's not just use lip service, let's really do it all the way.

I think he brings more then enough skill to the office, perhaps we should wait until he is infected by the disease that is Washington.......I don't think so!:roll:

I'd love to see Obama and George Allen square off for the presidency. :cool:

CurrentAffairs said:
if only...
i'd love to see a Virginian president again!

Deegan said:
These are all folks stuck in the past, we need fresh legs, we don't need to continue to talk about the Vietnam era, and that is certainly what McCain and Kerry bring to the table. I also think a black man as president will bring us a step forward, something that may not serve an international goal, but certainly one we need here. If we are honestly going to go in another direction, and kick the bums out, let's not just use lip service, let's really do it all the way.

I think he brings more then enough skill to the office, perhaps we should wait until he is infected by the disease that is Washington.......I don't think so!:roll:

Aside from:

1) He's new (aka inexperienced), and
2) He's black,

I didn't see any tangible reasons why he would be a good president.

This is my point. 90% of the people who love Obama love him because of the hype. It's like the perfect storm of publicity.

Jack Kennedy didn't win in 58. Joe Sr. did. :mrgreen:

CurrentAffairs said:
So would every Democrat in the universe! Bring it on! Hell, Allen might not even win his own state in 16 days.

I will make a Navy Pride like prediction, stick my neck out, lay out my cards, tell it like I see it, put all of my eggs in one basket by saying:

George Allen will NEVER...repeat NEVER be nominated for any national political office in the United States of America...NEVER EVER...

There! I said! Truth be told it wasn't much of a bold prediction, was it? ;)

Deegan said:

wow...i completely agree with you.

His biggest hurdle in winning will be skin-deep

though it's probably his biggest publicist...

26 X World Champs said:
That's what they said about JFK in 1958.....

Er, there's a couple differences. JFK served 6 years in the House, then another 8 years in the Senate before he ran.

Obama has served 2 years in the Senate.

And even if the comparisons were valid, JFK was a pretty poor president. Not someone to model his hopes and dreams after.

26 X World Champs said:
Allen might not even win his own state in 16 days.
If the election were held today, he would. We'll see.

26 X World Champs said:
So would every Democrat in the universe! Bring it on! Hell, Allen might not even win his own state in 16 days.

I will make a Navy Pride like prediction, stick my neck out, lay out my cards, tell it like I see it, put all of my eggs in one basket by saying:

George Allen will NEVER...repeat NEVER be nominated for any national political office in the United States of America...NEVER EVER...

There! I said! Truth be told it wasn't much of a bold prediction, was it? ;)
any why would you say that?
oh, and the senate is a national political office, i believe, so you are already wrong! LOL.

CurrentAffairs said:
If the election were held today, he would. We'll see.
In truth you really don't know if that statement is true nor does it matter because the election is NOT today.

A lot can still happen in the next two weeks, either way. The mere fact this seat is even in play is amazing. Do you know that Allen has spent 10 TIMES as much ($12 million v. $1.2 million) and still has a "lead" that is only in the margin of error? If the Dems win in Tennessee and Missouri it won't matter because they will have 51 seats...and both of those states have the Dems very slightly ahead....but again within the margin of error.

virginia_regres.png

RightatNYU said:
Er, there's a couple differences. JFK served 6 years in the House, then another 8 years in the Senate before he ran.

Obama has served 2 years in the Senate.

And even if the comparisons were valid, JFK was a pretty poor president. Not someone to model his hopes and dreams after.

i have to go against you here. there are 2, possible 3 democratic presidents, or almost presidents, that i liked. JFK was one of them. i thought he was a good president. he diffused the Cuban Misslie Crisis, and helped to start the ball on Civil Rights.

Back
Top Bottom