• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Senator Manchin said today that he has no intention to vote to end the Filibuster

surfguy74

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
The Left has to sh@#ing bricks hearing that.

When either a "Republican" (whatever that means) or a "Democrat" (whatever that means) politician says "I have no intention of _[fill in the blank]_" the way to bet is that they are REALLY saying "I have no intention of _[fill in the blank]_" UNLESS you really make it worth my while by doing something that will enhance my chances of reelection.".

This is crass politics on his part and nothing else. It saves his bacon every time he does not have to vote on a controversial bill and make enemies in his home state either within his party or outside of it, and he will not have to vote on any bills that do not come to the floor because they need 60 and his vote will only get them to 52 or 53. Its just self interest.

What possible good can it do him to end a practice that keeps the toughest of votes off the floor and off his record?

I wonder if Manchin has grown concerned about the how far left the left has gone and has reached the point of disagreeing with some/too much of what they want to do. Maybe he wants to put the brakes on but doesn't want to be the lone vote preventing things he doesn't agree with - which without the filibuster, he might have to be unless Sinema decided to join him.

Why in hell would Manchin agree to end the filibuster? All that would do is make him 100% irrelevant to anything and anyone.

I overlapped with btthegreat but that makes sense to me.
Being that lone vote (like McCain was with the healthcare bill) is probably a position he'd rather not be in.
Maybe he also happens to agree with McConnell that ending the filibuster turns the Senate into a legislative ping pong game every single time congress changes hands. Too dramatic of bills one way and then the other.

Why in hell would Manchin agree to end the filibuster? All that would do is make him 100% irrelevant to anything and anyone.
I must not be thinking clearly tonight because I bet you have a point I'm missing. Wouldn't it make him even more relevant if the filibuster was done away with? He'd likely be the deciding vote for everything. With the filibuster, he can let the Republicans stand in the way of legislation he doesn't agree with.

End, not nerf. He's left open the possibility to nerfing the filibuster.

While they figure that one out, we get to use reconciliation to work on the infrastructure bill. :)

I wonder if Manchin has grown concerned about the how far left the left has gone and has reached the point of disagreeing with some/too much of what they want to do. Maybe he wants to put the brakes on but doesn't want to be the lone vote preventing things he doesn't agree with - which without the filibuster, he might have to be unless Sinema decided to join him.
Center right is too far left for the party of insurrection so he will have to end up in lockstep with the GOP on EVERYTHING if he wants to keep their vote. It is going to get ugly in a few months when nothing gets done. That is when the pressure will be on for him to break. He will get some real perks for it too. Things that will make him a hero in much neglected W. Virginia I hope. The Dems need to deliver now more than anytime in my life and they know it. The fact that not one Replicant will vote to secure our right to vote should be enough to reveal their true colors to the nation.

Last edited:
I must not be thinking clearly tonight because I bet you have a point I'm missing. Wouldn't it make him even more relevant if the filibuster was done away with? He'd likely be the deciding vote for everything. With the filibuster, he can let the Republicans stand in the way of legislation he doesn't agree with.
Come to think of it, you're right. I got it 100% wrong. Maybe I was just hoping I'm right. Thanks for pointing this out.

What are you talking about? None of us thought the Democratic party was going to end the filibuster.

I doubt it.

I think it’s more about electoral politics.

He and the Democratic leadership know that his seat would likely be filled by a reactionary Republican if the GOP could knock him off.

What are you talking about? None of us thought the Democratic party was going to end the filibuster.

I didn’t think so either. But I was rooting hard for Biden’s idea of bringing back the talking filibuster.

The most powerful Joe in America strikes again!

I doubt it.

I think it’s more about electoral politics.

He and the Democratic leadership know that his seat would likely be filled by a reactionary Republican if the GOP could knock him off.
Aside from attaching the word "reactionary" to some unknown person (unless you have an unnamed specific person in mind who has a "reactionary"???? personality trait), I'd certainly agree this comment makes a lot of sense. It would be difficult for most any Dem to win that seat, besides Manchin.

Both Manchin (D-WV) and Sinema (D-AZ) have stated they will not end the filibuster many times. I am not even sure Tester (D-MT) is on board for that endeavor.

The votes aren't there for it.

Maybe he also happens to agree with McConnell that ending the filibuster turns the Senate into a legislative ping pong game every single time congress changes hands.
It may do that "ping pong game" deal when control of Congress changes hands, but in the current filibuster form that it is today, simply bogs Congress down to a complete stand still. Manchin is flexing his king of the mtn vote for power, recognition and possibly some sort of reward for playing along or pleasing the other side. Reform the filibuster and get back to work.

What worries me is the phase "no circumstance in which I will vote to eliminate or weaken the filibuster". What does this mean Joe?? Are you backing off your previous position that it should be painful to sustain a filibuster (i.e., a talking filibuster)

Aside from attaching the word "reactionary" to some unknown person (unless you have an unnamed specific person in mind who has a "reactionary"???? personality trait), I'd certainly agree this comment makes a lot of sense. It would be difficult for most any Dem to win that seat, besides Manchin.

Perhaps you’ve never been to West Virginia.

Familiar ground, eh?

Back
Top Bottom