• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Senate workers will get $1 million in back pay after Labor Department probe

danarhea

Slayer of the DP Newsbot
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Hundreds of U.S. Senate cafeteria workers will get hefty checks for back pay after a Labor Department investigation found they were underpaid for their work under federal law.

The private contractor hired by the Architect of the Capitol to run the Senate food-service operation did not abide by the Service Contract Act, which governs wages paid to employees working under large federal contracts, the probe found. Employees were misclassified into lower-paying jobs and required to perform work before clocking in, the department said in a release.

Servers are served a little justice. :)

Want me to work without pay before clocking in? Meet my friend, Middle Finger. :mrgreen:

Article is here.

Want me to work without pay before clocking in? Meet my friend, Middle Finger. :mrgreen:

Article is here.

The sad part, as usual, is that the criminal (likely) gets to keep their government (contract) job.

There could be further consequences for the contractor: The Labor Department release said it is reviewing the findings and could seek to bar Restaurant Associates and its subcontractor from winning future federal contracts.

There should be no "could" involved - the court found illegal activity yet the government only further "investigates" and "reviews" possible sanctions for its (well connected?) contractor. Perhaps they can just conclude that there was no precedent for such added punishment. ;)

Article is here.
If DWS were busy focusing on real issues instead of whining about not getting free tampons (that she could easily afford) this wouldn't be happening.

The sad part, as usual, is that the criminal (likely) gets to keep their government (contract) job.

There should be no "could" involved - the court found illegal activity yet the government only further "investigates" and "reviews" possible sanctions for its (well connected?) contractor. Perhaps they can just conclude that there was no precedent for such added punishment. ;)

I think the "further consequences" is going to be that the vendor is fired, which I would completely agree with.

If DWS were busy focusing on real issues instead of whining about not getting free tampons (that she could easily afford) this wouldn't be happening.

WTF does that have to do with the topic?

Article is here.

Although I agree with you completely with you on this, I feel I also need to point out that the KO (contracting officer) or COR (contracting officers representative) had to sign off on all labor categories used by the contractor and the certified payrolls submitted with each invoice and pay request made, also according to US law.

Thanks Obama. We all know he personally screwed these workers. Probably because they wouldn't follow Michelle's lunch plan.

Folks that was just a Hillary (a big joke)

I think the "further consequences" is going to be that the vendor is fired, which I would completely agree with.

That should be automatic but often is not. Far easier to keep things as they are and just talk tough.

Back
Top Bottom