• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Senate Resident Klansman Announce 2006 Re-Election Bid

Why do people keep voting for this guy, oh yeah I forgot most people are a little on the dumb side.

He is almost as bad as Strom Thurmand. At least no one voted for ol' Strom!

Oh wait a minute...

People love to bring up Byrd as an example of how the Democrats are the party of racism. But that is like saying the GOP is respectable because of Sen. McCain. I wouldn't vote for Byrd in a primary, but anyone who isn't writing completely blank checks for the Whitehouse is OK in my books.

One member doesn't shape the whole party. The inductive fallacy of composition is a favorite for the writers of GOP talking points - but that is OK cause most who buy it up don't know what that means anyways.

Last edited:
python416 said:

Oh wait a minute...

People love to bring up Byrd as an example of how the Democrats are the party of racism. But that is like saying the GOP is respectable because of Sen. McCain. I wouldn't vote for Byrd in a primary, but anyone who isn't writing completely blank checks for the Whitehouse is OK in my books.

One member doesn't shape the whole party. The inductive fallacy of composition is a favorite for the writers of GOP talking points - but that is OK cause most who buy it up don't know what that means anyways.

I didn't see anyone bring up party comparisons, except you :naughty. I just don't like racists no matter which side they are on or how well they handle money.

Last edited:
gdalton said:
I didn't see anyone bring up party comparisons, except you :naughty. I just don't like racists no matter which side they are on or how well they handle money.

It was a carry over from another thread - sorry. That was offside in this thread.

python416 said:

Oh wait a minute...

I would never vote for Byrd. You would think at his age he would want to finally retire anyway. Your right though, the GOP, otherwise known as the White Male Christian Conservative Party, loves to point to Byrd as an example of racism, but what they seem to overlook is that Byrd was the only Dixiecrat that did not jump over the Republican ranks during the Civil Rights days.

python416 said:

Strom had the decency to finally die. There's nothing decent about Byrd.

python416 said:
People love to bring up Byrd as an example of how the Democrats are the party of racism.

Actually, the fact that racism in the South declined in parallel with the rise of the GOP down there is proof enough.

python416 said:
But that is like saying the GOP is respectable because of Sen. McCain.

I don't know anyone that thinks McCain is anything but an embarassment.

python416 said:
One member doesn't shape the whole party.

No, true enough. Name a Democrat that's not a racist. Hint: It can't be a person that supports Affirmative Action. It can't be a person that supports any gender or racial requirement for appointments to the federal judiciary. It can't be any person that opposes true color blind application of the law.

And that eliminates every single Democrat in the federal government.

Scarecrow Akhbar said:

Byrd's a bit over-the-hill and there are plenty of things I don't like about him. But he does seem to be more intelligent than most other senators, and he does seem to vote for what he believes to be right moreso than most other senators.

As for the racism charge, I don't know if it stands or not. But I won't judge someone too harshly for beliefs that they held decades ago. Lots of older politicians are former segregationists. That doesn't mean they haven't changed their minds.

Scarecrow Akhbar said:
Actually, the fact that racism in the South declined in parallel with the rise of the GOP down there is proof enough.

Hardly. What "proof" is there that the former was caused by the latter? None.

Scarecrow Akhbar said:

McCain is an honest man who is willing to tell it like it is (or at least how he believes it to be), even at the expense of his own party. Republicans who dislike him for no reason other than because he's a vocal critic of George Bush are nothing but partisan hacks.

Scarecrow Akhbar said:
No, true enough. Name a Democrat that's not a racist. Hint: It can't be a person that supports Affirmative Action. It can't be a person that supports any gender or racial requirement for appointments to the federal judiciary. It can't be any person that opposes true color blind application of the law.

That's just stupid. People can't disagree with you on any racial issues without being a racist? You're just as much of a race-baiter as Al Sharpton.

Scarecrow Akhbar said:

Look, there Los Angeles, I was born and raised in the South. Johnson lost the Democrats the south for a generation because of civil rights legislation. Do you honestly think that Southerners vote Republican because of Supply Side Economics? Of course not, they vote Republican because just about all their favorite racists Dixiecrats jumped over to the Republican Party and about all the north eastern liberal Republicans left the Republican Party. That’s why. Racism, bigotry, and gun laws are the only reason the Solid South is now solidly red. Every Republican I know in the south who was a Democrat left the Democratic party and went Republican for racist reasons.

SouthernDemocrat said:
Look, there Los Angeles, I was born and raised in the South. Johnson lost the Democrats the south for a generation because of civil rights legislation. Do you honestly think that Southerners vote Republican because of Supply Side Economics? Of course not, they vote Republican because just about all their favorite racists Dixiecrats jumped over to the Republican Party and about all the north eastern liberal Republicans left the Republican Party. That’s why. Racism, bigotry, and gun laws are the only reason the Solid South is now solidly red. Every Republican I know in the south who was a Democrat left the Democratic party and went Republican for racist reasons.
Ladies & Gentlemen!...

Navy Pride's "mirror-image" has arrived from the 4th dimension...:roll:

I submit the following article out of Time Magazine:

Web Exclusive | Nation
Lott, Reagan and Republican Racism

If the GOP wants to attract black voters, argues TIME's Jack White, it must confront the legacy not only of Trent Lott, but also of former President Reagan
By JACK WHITE

Posted Saturday, Dec. 14, 2002

Here's some advice for Republicans eager to attract more African-American supporters: don't stop with Trent Lott. Blacks won't take their commitment to expanding the party seriously until they admit that the GOP's wrongheadedness about race goes way beyond Lott and infects their entire party. The sad truth is that many Republican leaders remain in a massive state of denial about the party's four-decade-long addiction to race-baiting. They won't make any headway with blacks by bashing Lott if they persist in giving Ronald Reagan a pass for his racial policies.
The same could be said, of course, about such Republican heroes as, Barry Goldwater, Richard Nixon or George Bush the elder, all of whom used coded racial messages to lure disaffected blue collar and Southern white voters away from the Democrats. Yet it's with Reagan, who set a standard for exploiting white anger and resentment rarely seen since George Wallace stood in the schoolhouse door, that the Republican's selective memory about its race-baiting habit really stands out.
Space doesn't permit a complete list of the Gipper's signals to angry white folks that Republicans prefer to ignore, so two incidents in which Lott was deeply involved will have to suffice. As a young congressman, Lott was among those who urged Reagan to deliver his first major campaign speech in Philadelphia, Mississippi, where three civil rights workers were murdered in one of the 1960s' ugliest cases of racist violence. It was a ringing declaration of his support for "states' rights" — a code word for resistance to black advances clearly understood by white Southern voters.
Then there was Reagan's attempt, once he reached the White House in 1981, to reverse a long-standing policy of denying tax-exempt status to private schools that practice racial discrimination and grant an exemption to Bob Jones University. Lott's conservative critics, quite rightly, made a big fuss about his filing of a brief arguing that BJU should get the exemption despite its racist ban on interracial dating. But true to their pattern of white-washing Reagan's record on race, not one of Lott's conservative critics said a mumblin' word about the Gipper's deep personal involvement. They don't care to recall that when Lott suggested that Reagan's regime take BJU's side in a lawsuit against the Internal Revenue Service, Reagan responded, "We ought to do it." Two years later the U.S. Supreme Court in a resounding 8-to-1 decision ruled that Reagan was dead wrong and reinstated the IRS's power to deny BJU's exemption.
Republican leaders and their apologists tend to go into a frenzy of denial when members of the liberal media cabal bring up these inconvenient facts. It's that lack of candor, of course, that presents the biggest obstacle to George W. Bush's commendable and long overdue campaign to persuade more African-Americans to defect from the Democrats to the Republicans. It's doomed to fail until the GOP fesses up its past addiction to race-baiting, and makes a sincere attempt to kick the habit.

http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,399921,00.html

You want to more Blacks to vote Republican, quite race baiting in the South, and quit acting like Blacks are a bunch of morons for not voting Republican.

Kandahar said:
Hardly. What "proof" is there that the former was caused by the latter? None.

I had a crown put in on a really sensitive tooth six weeks ago. The tooth next to it also was crowned. For three weeks I had a single temporary crown spanning both teeth. The sensitive tooth put me on 1600 mg of ibuprofen daily. There was talk that it was either the temporary crown or I needed a root canal.

The temp's gone, and the pain's gone.

Effect follows cause.

Democrats are out of power in the South, and so's the racism. And I didn't even need to point out that it was the Democrats that invented Jim Crow and kept him busy.

Kandahar said:
McCain is an honest man who is willing to tell it like it is (or at least how he believes it to be), even at the expense of his own party. Republicans who dislike him for no reason other than because he's a vocal critic of George Bush are nothing but partisan hacks.

McCain is a politician. I've never heard the word "honest" applied to one of them before.

Reasons to detest McCain:

1) He was the junior Keating Five, the token Republican.

2) He raised billions of dollars in taxes on the poorest of the poor, and gave it to lawyers at the rate of about $100,000 per hour. How? The so-called "tobacco settlement".

3) He's a worse rapist than Bill Clinton. Clinton confined his diddling to women. McCain ripped the hymen off the First Amendment with his so-called Campaign Finance Reform bill. And, nope, I don't excuse Bush's signature on it, either.

4) Last time I checked, McCain co-authored yet another Mexican Invader "guest worker" bill.

5) He helped broker a compromise with the Democrats to keep the borking fillibuster open.

6) Democrats like him.

Kandahar said:
That's just stupid. People can't disagree with you on any racial issues without being a racist? You're just as much of a race-baiter as Al Sharpton.

Why do you call Sharpton a "race-baiter". What has he done that offends you, and why?

You should perhaps make an effort to discover my positions on issues before issuing blanket ad hominems. I mean, your post has illuminated you fairly well, but I won't hold the mirror up until the light's a little brighter.

SouthernDemocrat said:

So let's follow your logic here. The racist Democrats saw which way the power was shifting, so they jumped ship and joined the GOP.

And then the GOP passed laws eliminating the institutionalized racism the Demcorats installed.

The works. :roll:

Your assertion that the northeast liberal republicans are gone is simply wrong. Hillary Clinton carpet-bagged her way into the Senate because liberal republicans are alive and doing badly in the northeast, and doing their best to get in the way of people who don't have the Democrat vision.

Oh, and my handle is "Scarecrow Akhbar", "Akhbar" meaning "is great" in some primitive stone-age tongue from the middle-east. "Los Angeles" is where I am. You don't have a clue where I've been, and you limit your perceptions when you apply the wrong label.

SouthernDemocrat said:
You want to more Blacks to vote Republican, quite race baiting in the South, and quit acting like Blacks are a bunch of morons for not voting Republican.

Is it okay if I act like anyone voting for either Republicans or Democrats is a moron?

At least I'll be an equal opportunity bigot.

I just love ameican politics
reps and Dems attack each other and you both are one and the same fronts for the american elite

like morons fighting each other and your real enemy looks on laughing at how you have all been duped
silly people up against an enemy from within
without a clue as to the enemy really is
all southerners are racist to one degree or another
they were brought up that way they cant help being ignorant
today its all kept in the closet but its still there ready to rear its head from time to time

Last edited:
Canuck said:
today its all kept in the closet but its still there ready to rear its head from time to time

That’s a brilliant assessment, so let's see, you believe all people from a certain area can be classified in a certain way. What would that kind of thought process be called?

I was born and raised in the south and until I read this extraordinarily intelligent post I had no idea I was a racist. Thank you Canuck, now I finally know how I'm supposed to act. And to think my whole life up until now has been a lie, why didn't anyone tell me who I was supposed to hate.:doh

python416 said:

Then why do Democrats and liberals try to paint the Republican Civil Rights record on the one man, Thurmonds Democrat record on Civil Rights?

SouthernDemocrat said:
I would never vote for Byrd. You would think at his age he would want to finally retire anyway. Your right though, the GOP, otherwise known as the White Male Christian Conservative Party, loves to point to Byrd as an example of racism, but what they seem to overlook is that Byrd was the only Dixiecrat that did not jump over the Republican ranks during the Civil Rights days.

Really? So Gore, Hollings, Fulbright, Wallace, all became republicans? You are perpetrating that old Democrat myth they use to cover thier own sorry record on the Civil Rights bills. The fact is a higher percentage of Republicans supported Civil Rights than Democrats and could have passed it on their own had they been a majority and without their fighting for it's passage the Democrats would have defeated it.

But please list all the Democrats who became Republicans based on the Civil Rights struggle.

SouthernDemocrat said:
Look, there Los Angeles, I was born and raised in the South.

And that certainly didn't help you on your Southern history because you have it wrong here and in other threads where I have posted the facts.

Johnson lost the Democrats the south for a generation because of civil rights legislation.

Baloney, Johnson praised the Republicans and stated that without them the bill would not have passed. Why would Democrats move to the party that overwhelming supported Civil Rights if they were moving for that reason?

Do you honestly think that Southerners vote Republican because of Supply Side Economics?

Yes that has a lot to do with it, smaller government, strong defense, lower taxes, it certainly has nothing to do with civil rights.
Of course not, they vote Republican because just about all their favorite racists Dixiecrats jumped over to the Republican Party

That's the second time you've said that, name them. Name all the Dixiecrats who switched parties AT THE TIME THE DIXIECRATS EXISTED not 10 years later. Then name the ones that switched later. Then name all the Democrats who moved to the Republican party on the basis of civil rights.

Racism, bigotry, and gun laws are the only reason the Solid South is now solidly red.

And some premise to this arguement you stand on? Give me some examples of the racist, bigoted legislation the Republican party supports.

I think this just an example of the Democrat policy of "if you can't beat them at the ballot box then just smash them with the racist hammer"

Every Republican I know in the south who was a Democrat left the Democratic party and went Republican for racist reasons.

Who? You are from Arkansas, when did Fulbright, then mentor of the leader of the Democrat party Bill Clinton, turn Democrat? How about Fabus, when did he turn Republican? And what did it take to finally bring support for civil rights to Little Rock, the election of a REPUBLICAN govenor, Rockefeller

Canuck said:

This is a good example of what is known as bigotry. The basis of racisim.

Stinger said:
Then why do Democrats and liberals try to paint the Republican Civil Rights record on the one man, Thurmonds Democrat record on Civil Rights?

All I was trying to get at was that the GOP policies are designed to restrict migration of wealth, and that would have been the case even without Strom. Regardless of how civil rights evolved, in today's America, the poor are isolated. The news coverage of Katrina only proved it visually for the whole world to see. Not all of this was the GOP's fault, but the GOP surely has not done anything to improve the situation, despite their obligation to do so.

In my country (Canada) we don't really think of minorities as a different "segment" of society, but in the US, from the news at least, it is obvious that they are a specificly targetable demographic. So given that the US minority population as a whole has less wealth than white america, IMHO, (and I am not black, white, or American), it would be more benefitial for minorities to vote non-Rebulican.

And the fact the Bryd was in the KKK, or the Strom was the person he was, doesn't take ANYTHING away from the above hypothosis.

Canuck said:
I just love ameican politics
reps and Dems attack each other and you both are one and the same fronts for the american elite

like morons fighting each other and your real enemy looks on laughing at how you have all been duped
silly people up against an enemy from within
without a clue as to the enemy really is

You do not speak for Canadians.

If you do not have enough intelligence to see the flaw in the following sentence:

"all southerners are racist to one degree or another"

then do your countrymen a favor and change your nickname so no one knows that you are a faulty product of our great country.

Hopefully your problem is that you are too young to know how ignorant your comment is - then there is still hope. But if you are old enough to vote it might be too late.

python416 said:
All I was trying to get at was that the GOP policies are designed to restrict migration of wealth,

While I disagree with your framing of it are you suggesting it is the role of government to make sure wealth "migrates". How about insuring a safe and secure country where people can use thier talents and the opportunities the country presents to create wealth? Wealth is not a fixed amount, it's not a pie to be divided up. But what policies are you talking about?

and that would have been the case even without Strom. Regardless of how civil rights evolved, in today's America, the poor are isolated.

Isolated from what? Our "poor" are the "richest" poor in the world. They mostly have cars, if not two, they mostly live in air conditioned and centrally heated homes, they have plenty to eat, they have free medical care, they have free education. Spending on intitlements aimed at the poor have skyrocketed under Bush, so where exactly do you find the isolation?

The news coverage of Katrina only proved it visually for the whole world to see.

Proved what? That if you don't take advantage of the educational opportunities in this country you will fail. That if you choose to have children out of wedlock you will fail and you set your children up for the same? That if you do not hold off from getting married until you are 20 that you mostly likely will fail? That if you engage in drug usage and criminal activity you will probably fail?

Not all of this was the GOP's fault, but the GOP surely has not done anything to improve the situation, despite their obligation to do so.

What more should they do go down there and drag those people out of thier homes and into schools? Go down and sterilize all the black women?

In my country (Canada) we don't really think of minorities as a different "segment" of society,

And you don't have near the "minorities" we have here so you so maybe you don't think about them at all.

but in the US, from the news at least, it is obvious that they are a specificly targetable demographic.

Well there are lots of "specificly targetable demographic"'s so why does being one make you poor?

So given that the US minority population as a whole has less wealth than white america,

Well that depends on the "minority population" you are talking about. Asians are a minority and I believe they do better than average. Jews are a minority but I believe they do better than average. There are many many blacks who make the average and far and above so obviously it is not simply because your skin is black is it.

IMHO, (and I am not black, white, or American), it would be more benefitial for minorities to vote non-Rebulican.

Why when under Repbulican driven programs such as wel-fare reform poverty is going down. Why when under Republican driven programs such as No-Child-Left-Behind test scores for black children have risen. Why when under Republican driven programs black home ownership is at an all time high? Why when Democrats offer nothing but handouts and wel-fare enslavement?

And the fact the Bryd was in the KKK, or the Strom was the person he was, doesn't take ANYTHING away from the above hypothosis.

Sorry but what was they hypsothosis again?

Robert Byrd was the Grand Cyclops of the Ku Klux Klan. He was the number one recruiter for the organization and even in his book that was released this year he has kind words for that despicable organization.

Does this mean he is a racist? I don't believe he is as he was. His voting record in Congress is full of positive votes for civil rights. He has a colored past with no pun intended.

As for his age? All of us will go that way and for those who bring it up; should I live to be in my 90's, don't get in my way or I'll run right over you. Was that a stop sign?
:duel :cool:

Stinger said:
While I disagree with your framing of it are you suggesting it is the role of government to make sure wealth "migrates". How about insuring a safe and secure country where people can use thier talents and the opportunities the country presents to create wealth? Wealth is not a fixed amount, it's not a pie to be divided up. But what policies are you talking about?

Market economies should let the market dictate where money flows, but there are many examples of flawed market economics in the US. Big-Energy and Big-Pharma are the two biggest. For example: Why is it cheaper to buy US made drugs in Canada then in the US? Why is it that foreign/defense policy centers around energy resource security, and while the energy companies have record profits, the tax burden of fighting wars to secure energy is distributed across the entire economy. Why is there a SPR for crude but not for refined products?

The last answer is: because the market by big-energy has been rigged to encourage nervous markets to optimize income on gas.

While wealth is not a zero-sum game, government power is. And too much of it lies on K-street, and not enough in the people. That croonism is a problem in both parties, but the GOP has it way worse.

If the average American knew how laws and bills were made, and who drove policy for real, they would be outraged. How come some organizations hire two lobbists for each congressmen? Cash and carry government! This is not how a market economy is suppose to work!

Stinger said:
Isolated from what? Our "poor" are the "richest" poor in the world. They mostly have cars, if not two, they mostly live in air conditioned and centrally heated homes, they have plenty to eat, they have free medical care, they have free education. Spending on intitlements aimed at the poor have skyrocketed under Bush, so where exactly do you find the isolation?

They may be the richest poor, but they are isolated. Look at the way your cities are layed out. Usually, the poor area is consolidated in a few regions. By contrast, in Canada you go from rich to poor to rich area again in a few minutes of walking. After the video from Katrina, the isolation is obvious. Those people where left behind.

I forget where I read this, but think about it:

Someone is Baghdad can pick up a phone and have a bomb dropped on a building in minutes, while in New Orlean's my government could have delieverd water to those people from Canada than your own could. Those who did not have the resources to get out of town were left forgotton until the GOP realized that the press was actually on the case.

Stinger said:
Proved what? That if you don't take advantage of the educational opportunities in this country you will fail. That if you choose to have children out of wedlock you will fail and you set your children up for the same? That if you do not hold off from getting married until you are 20 that you mostly likely will fail? That if you engage in drug usage and criminal activity you will probably fail?

I guess I am not willing to make the assumption that all of those people were criminals, drug users, single moms, etc.

I don't have a car and I am neither of those things.

Stinger said:
What more should they do go down there and drag those people out of thier homes and into schools? Go down and sterilize all the black women?

Here is one: raise the minimum wage.

Shouldn't someone working an honest days work for 5 days a week, beable to afford to feed their kids, send them to school, provide healthcare?

Your comment suggests that black babies are the problem. I know better.

Stinger said:
And you don't have near the "minorities" we have here so you so maybe you don't think about them at all.

We have the roughly the same percentage of minorities as you. We just don't really think of it. We are all Canadian.

Stinger said:
Well there are lots of "specificly targetable demographic"'s so why does being one make you poor?

Well non-whites that have been in your country have been at a disadvantage since their rights have not developed on the same track. Some of your biggest blue chips in the Dow have made money of slave labor. Once slavory was over, those freed slaves had to start competing with nothing against people who had resource they made of those very slaves. But that is way to abstract for most people to get their heads around.

If policies are set around keeping money where it is, and passing directly to descendant (as in getting rid of the estate tax), the enslaved or not, black America is destined to be poor forever. Luckly, the situation is not that bad.

Stinger said:
Well that depends on the "minority population" you are talking about. Asians are a minority and I believe they do better than average. Jews are a minority but I believe they do better than average. There are many many blacks who make the average and far and above so obviously it is not simply because your skin is black is it.

Why when under Repbulican driven programs such as wel-fare reform poverty is going down. Why when under Republican driven programs such as No-Child-Left-Behind test scores for black children have risen. Why when under Republican driven programs black home ownership is at an all time high? Why when Democrats offer nothing but handouts and wel-fare enslavement?

Ultimately, it will be the work ethic of Asians that presents the biggest risk to American dominance in the world.

Home ownership is really bank ownership. American personal and government debt is the second biggest risk to American dominance in the world.

What is going to happen if interest rates spike because the debt has risen to almost $8Tril and externals start pulling out of US markets? What about those new home owners? The bank takes over those houses.

It is so easy to get credit in the US. Why? Because as long as the bank can take everything someone owns when they can't make payments because of a n illness or injury, or job loss, they don't care. Look at the bankrupcy laws that were going through congress last month.

Stinger said:
Sorry but what was they hypsothosis again?

I almost lost it too, but I think it was this:

It makes more sense for non-whites to vote for the Dems

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom